Flyers will be scary for years to come

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby orpchar on Wed May 09, 2012 12:18 am

cma3585 wrote:They got outstanding rookie seasons out of a handful of players. How many of those types of players pull that off their next year?


They got an outstanding series out of a handful of players. Nobody was talking about Giroux for Hart, Couturier for Selke, etc. The Penguins made them look good through a combination of a lack of coaching adjustments on the PK and the flakiness of Geno and MAF.

The Flyers had a decent year, but unlike the Pens, they have sacrificed the future for the present. Their window is closing, not opening. Considering the contracts they are stuck with (Pronger, Briere, Bryzgalov,) even IF Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, and Read continue to look as good as they looked against the Pens, there's no way they will be able to afford them.

Not to mention that Laviolette's in-your-face coaching style gets old really quick if it doesn't produce results.
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby IMFC on Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 am

orpchar wrote:Not to mention that Laviolette's in-your-face coaching style gets old really quick if it doesn't produce results.


Was so great watching him QUIT in the 3rd period tonight. No emotion, no answers, no 'brilliant' time-out. Nothing. He just gave up. Awesome.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Hockey has a way of delivering payback. I don't know how or when, but Philly will get theirs.



They just did. :thumb:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,445
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

IMFC wrote:
orpchar wrote:Not to mention that Laviolette's in-your-face coaching style gets old really quick if it doesn't produce results.


Was so great watching him QUIT in the 3rd period tonight. No emotion, no answers, no 'brilliant' time-out. Nothing. He just gave up. Awesome.


He also sent out Rinaldo countless times in the third that enabled the Devils to continue to just dominate.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,218
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby PfanTN on Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 am

orpchar wrote:
cma3585 wrote:They got outstanding rookie seasons out of a handful of players. How many of those types of players pull that off their next year?


They got an outstanding series out of a handful of players. Nobody was talking about Giroux for Hart, Couturier for Selke, etc. The Penguins made them look good through a combination of a lack of coaching adjustments on the PK and the flakiness of Geno and MAF.


Uh, what? Yes there were. A lot of people. Take off your blinders. Not saying everyone thought he'd deserve it more than malkin or stamkos, but Giroux was in the hart discussion.
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 am

PfanTN wrote:
orpchar wrote:
cma3585 wrote:They got outstanding rookie seasons out of a handful of players. How many of those types of players pull that off their next year?


They got an outstanding series out of a handful of players. Nobody was talking about Giroux for Hart, Couturier for Selke, etc. The Penguins made them look good through a combination of a lack of coaching adjustments on the PK and the flakiness of Geno and MAF.


Uh, what? Yes there were. A lot of people. Take off your blinders. Not saying everyone thought he'd deserve it more than malkin or stamkos, but Giroux was in the hart discussion.


not that you're talking nonsense or anything, but i have this suspicion that you might be an undercover philly fan
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,822
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 11:41 am

Giroux was in the conversation with a few pundits around the league. Honestly, I think Giroux was more deserving of the discussion over Stamkos. I really have no complaints either way though.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,218
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 12:26 pm

giroux should definitely be in the hart discussion. his team was successful, and he absolutely elevated the play of those around him. he's still a turd of course.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,822
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby IronDukes37 on Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 pm

......
Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,562
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Don't forget that Gyro had a concussion that kept him out for a long time.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Maybe the title should be changed to "The Flyers will be sorry for years to come." with that Bryzgalov contract
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Giroux was in the conversation with a few pundits around the league. Honestly, I think Giroux was more deserving of the discussion over Stamkos. I really have no complaints either way though.


I don't think I can have an unbiased opinion of Stamkos, because every time he plays the Pens he sucks.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,535
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 pm

shmenguin wrote:giroux should definitely be in the hart discussion. his team was successful, and he absolutely elevated the play of those around him. he's still a turd of course.


Should be, but hard to say he didn't benefit a great deal from a former Hart and Art Ross winner on his line. He was more awesome when Jagr was awesome, but he was also awesome on the PP. He factored into more of his teams PP goals than two teams even scored. Pretty sick.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Giroux is a hell of a player.

That being said, regarding that "Mario/Little Mario" discussion coming from Jagr -- I wish Le Magnifique would call #68 up and say "Hello, old friend. About all that...you need to stop."

But I know Mario's too classy and all that.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,445
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Giroux will win the Hart one year purely because he's so good at doing everything on the ice. 5man, PK, PP. Dude just does everything so well.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,218
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Giroux is a hell of a player.

That being said, regarding that "Mario/Little Mario" discussion coming from Jagr -- I wish Le Magnifique would call #68 up and say "Hello, old friend. About all that...you need to stop."

But I know Mario's too classy and all that.


Brett Hull isn't too classy, and did tell Jagr to stop. :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,747
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Giroux is a hell of a player.

That being said, regarding that "Mario/Little Mario" discussion coming from Jagr -- I wish Le Magnifique would call #68 up and say "Hello, old friend. About all that...you need to stop."

But I know Mario's too classy and all that.

Jagr isn't classy enough to listen, even if Mario did call him.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,385
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
IMFC wrote:
orpchar wrote:Not to mention that Laviolette's in-your-face coaching style gets old really quick if it doesn't produce results.


Was so great watching him QUIT in the 3rd period tonight. No emotion, no answers, no 'brilliant' time-out. Nothing. He just gave up. Awesome.


He also sent out Rinaldo countless times in the third that enabled the Devils to continue to just dominate.



Noticed that too... I was also interested in Jagrs 3rd period minutes but I couldn't find them.

Everyone was also fairly disappointed by Giroux's absence but no one blamed him.. publicly anyway. Wonder what the offseason looks like
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 pm

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,656
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Loved the Zolnierczyk headstone. Lost it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,449
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm

That was one hell of a eulogy.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,103
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm

CERV96 wrote:The Flyer eulogy is up.


http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 25z;_ylv=3

Only 8 more years I got this :lol:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby penny lane on Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Image
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,654
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I loved the little add on to Hartnell's. "He is also a dumbass"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,922
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Flyers will be scary for years to come

Postby JS© on Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 pm

That's how the eulogies should be done. That Flyers one towards the Pens had the same tired Cindy/baby/pacifier jokes that they've been using since 2006.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,566
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail