You're the GM: Part 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby SolidSnake on Mon May 07, 2012 4:28 pm

I wonder if John Hynes stands there sipping water when things are going bad.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,480
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm

sil wrote:
Nizzy wrote:If Leino gets 4.5m you can guarantee that staal is going to get 6m. Hes worth 6m nothing more in my opinion.


If Staal chooses to go on the market, perhaps...I doubt it gets to that.


Yeah there is no way Staal gets to the market in 2013. He will either be resigned or traded before then.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,286
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby no name on Tue May 08, 2012 8:03 am

ILikeTurtles wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:Al Montoya.


Tony Montoya.


Tony Montana


Al Montana


Image
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,671
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm thankful that we aren't on the hook for 8 more years of Bryzgalov.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,403
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby columbia on Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 pm

"@capgeek: Only three of 25 highest salaried #NHL players are still active in playoffs: B. Richards, Gaborik and Ovechkin. http://t.co/Y8YT7cS1 "
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,714
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 am

columbia wrote:"@capgeek: Only three of 25 highest salaried #NHL players are still active in playoffs: B. Richards, Gaborik and Ovechkin. http://t.co/Y8YT7cS1 "


Huh...wonder if its because those teams cap structures aren't so top heavy that they look like the Pep Boys.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am

sil wrote:
columbia wrote:"@capgeek: Only three of 25 highest salaried #NHL players are still active in playoffs: B. Richards, Gaborik and Ovechkin. http://t.co/Y8YT7cS1 "


Huh...wonder if its because those teams cap structures aren't so top heavy that they look like the Pep Boys.


The Pens only have 2 in the top 50...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,657
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby columbia on Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 am

sil wrote:
columbia wrote:"@capgeek: Only three of 25 highest salaried #NHL players are still active in playoffs: B. Richards, Gaborik and Ovechkin. http://t.co/Y8YT7cS1 "


Huh...wonder if its because those teams cap structures aren't so top heavy that they look like the Pep Boys.


That certainly crossed my mind. :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,714
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 am

MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:
columbia wrote:"@capgeek: Only three of 25 highest salaried #NHL players are still active in playoffs: B. Richards, Gaborik and Ovechkin. http://t.co/Y8YT7cS1 "


Huh...wonder if its because those teams cap structures aren't so top heavy that they look like the Pep Boys.


The Pens only have 2 in the top 50...


The pens have 2 in the top 3 as well.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm thankful that we aren't on the hook for 8 more years of Bryzgalov.


:thumb:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Just a little re-focusing of this thread if you'll bear with me...

Malkin $8,700,000
Crosby $8,700,000
Neal $5,000,000
Staal $4,000,000
Kunitz $3,725,000
Kennedy $2,000,000
Cooke $1,800,000
Dupuis $1,500,000
Tangradi $750,000
Adams $675,000
Jeffrey $575,000
Vitale $550,000
UFA


Martin $5,000,000
Michalek $4,000,000
Orpik $3,750,000
Letang $3,500,000
Niskanen $1,800,000
Depres $840,000
Engellend $566,667
Lovejoy $525,000

Fleury $5,000,000
Thiessen $650,000
UFA


2012-13 NHL Salary Cap approx. = $64,300,000, based on speculation, this number could drop after the next CBA. A middle of the road assumption is a cap number VERY close to the current one.

Max Cap Number including call-up cushion of $800,000 = $63,500,000

Total Salaries = $63,606,667*

Total Guaranteed Salaries = $60,406,667 (w/ (2) F and (1) G to sign w/ $3,093,333). This scenario keep Lovejoy and sees Niskanen leave, but frees up enough space to sign a $2,000,000 (F), and two league minimum scrubs to fill out the roster…or a $1,750,000 forward, Tangradi, and league minimum backup goalie.

Add Niskanen and remove Lovejoy = $61,681,667 (w/ (2) F and (1) G to sign w/ $1,818,333). This scenario requires (3) NHL regulars to average @ $600,000 apiece…or basically scrubs to fill out the remaining holes, one of which is a top-6 forward.

The above scenarios are "standing pat," which also must (due to Neal's cap hit hike) exclude UFA's Sullivan and Park. Everything below is based on the most popular speculations on trades...

Trading Staal = $56,406,667 (w/ (3) F, and (1) G to sign w/ $7,093,333). Assume the player received for Staal is about $2,500,000, $4,593,333 is left for (2) F, and (1) G. A competent backup G approx. = $750,000, and bottom line banger forward = $750,000, approx. $3,000,000 to find a replacement 3rd line center or additional top-6 winger. (Note this scenario includes Lovejoy and excludes Niskanen. If Niskanen is in over Lovejoy, remove $1,300,000 from the cap space and adjust accordingly.)

Trading Martin = $55,406,667 (w/ (2) F, (1) D, and (1) G w/ $8,093,333). A competent backup G = $750,000, a bottom line banger forward = $750,000, and a serviceable top-6 forward (in the Sykora, Feds, Sullivan mold) = $2,000,000…approx. $3,000,000 is left to sign another defender, or Despres takes top-4 D duty, and we have approx. $4,250,000 to spend on another forward. (Note this scenario includes Lovejoy and excludes Niskanen. If Niskanen is in over Lovejoy, remove $1,300,000 from the cap space and adjust accordingly.)

Trading Malkin (or Crosby) = $51,706,667 (w/ (3) F, and (1) G to sign w/ $11,793,333). Assume two players in return for Malkin approx. = $6,000,000, $5,793,333 is left to sign (1) F and (1) G. A competent backup G = $750,000, and a bottom line banger forward = $750,000…thus approx. $4,293,333 is left to upgrade the D even without trading Martin/Michalek. If Martin is traded for a prospect/pick, $9,292,333 is open to find (1) D. (Note this scenario includes Lovejoy and excludes Niskanen. If Niskanen is in over Lovejoy, remove $1,300,000 from the cap space and adjust accordingly.)

* Includes assumed 2012-13 cap hits for RFA’s Niskanen, Tangradi, and Thiessen.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pens4Life on Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

@Sil
OMG! :face:

Staal should be traded if he demands more than Neal is payed..On open market he could get more,but not a lot more.
Also I think he will re-sign for 5years/25M deal!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,322
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Pens4Life wrote:@Sil
OMG! :face:

Staal should be traded if he demands more than Neal is payed..On open market he could get more,but not a lot more.
Also I think he will re-sign for 5years/25M deal!


FTR, I don't want him traded. The above is a quick assessement of each situation based on the most 'discussed' suggestions.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you assuming we just sign any FA we get to a one year deal? Or are you leaving the extra mil or two in the Martin scenario (in particular) for Staal's extension to take effect the next season?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,657
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you assuming we just sign any FA we get to a one year deal? Or are you leaving the extra mil or two in the Martin scenario (in particular) for Staal's extension to take effect the next season?


I was actually taking all scenarios pretty close to the cap ceiling. The one that would leave extra room is the Malkin trade.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

sil wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you assuming we just sign any FA we get to a one year deal? Or are you leaving the extra mil or two in the Martin scenario (in particular) for Staal's extension to take effect the next season?


I was actually taking all scenarios pretty close to the cap ceiling. The one that would leave extra room is the Malkin trade.


Ah, I see... I kinda ignored the "sign another forward with the extra 4.25 mil"...

Though, couldn't we leave that cap space for the next year when Crosby and Staal's extensions take effect?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,657
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you assuming we just sign any FA we get to a one year deal? Or are you leaving the extra mil or two in the Martin scenario (in particular) for Staal's extension to take effect the next season?


I was actually taking all scenarios pretty close to the cap ceiling. The one that would leave extra room is the Malkin trade.


Ah, I see... I kinda ignored the "sign another forward with the extra 4.25 mil"...

Though, couldn't we leave that cap space for the next year when Crosby and Staal's extensions take effect?


Most certainly we could. I think the whole point of my post is that, if (1) we assume a cap close to the current, and (2) we settle with letting Niskanen walk...we'll just barely be able to find a replacement for Sullivan. If we keep Niskanen over Lovejoy, we basically have to go as cheap as possible with the remaining three roster spots. So, in short, I'd be surprised if at least one move isn't made over the summer.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Nizzy on Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Can someone explain to me why Lovejoy would have a spot on this team next year?

Strait
Bortuzzo
Despres

All better and younger. Lovejoy had his chance vs Philly and got completely exposed in multiple 1v1 battles.

He should be gone before Martin
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,562
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Yaoming_meme.jpg

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Nizzy wrote:Can someone explain to me why Lovejoy would have a spot on this team next year?

Strait
Bortuzzo
Despres

All better and younger. Lovejoy had his chance vs Philly and got completely exposed in multiple 1v1 battles.

He should be gone before Martin


Not only do I agree, but I'm also glad you brought it up. Lovejoy makes pretty much league min ($525,000), so replacing him with any of Bortuzzo, Strait, etc...will actually put us $150,000 - $250,000 tighter to the cap.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Wait you mean Lovejoy isn't the second coming of Bobby Orr so many on here defended him as last year? I for one am shocked.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,429
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby sil on Thu May 10, 2012 10:06 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Wait you mean Lovejoy isn't the second coming of Bobby Orr so many on here defended him as last year? I for one am shocked.


Orr is he?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Streaks House on Thu May 10, 2012 11:51 am

sil wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Wait you mean Lovejoy isn't the second coming of Bobby Orr so many on here defended him as last year? I for one am shocked.


Orr is he?


When will it be over for Lovejoy?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby KG on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Bumping this thread. A lot of interesting thoughts on what you would have done post the playoff debacle.

Most scenarios had the Pens keeping Staal, if he was able to play wing he most likely wouldn't have been traded since he would get top line minutes etc.

I am surprised that Shero hasn't tweaked the roster more then he has so far. The team, as of right now, is very similar to how it was left...Better backup goalie, worse 3rd line center and a younger 4th line agitator, no Michalek...

Kind of a stinky off season thus far if you look at it like that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,851
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:57 am

KG wrote:Bumping this thread. A lot of interesting thoughts on what you would have done post the playoff debacle.

Most scenarios had the Pens keeping Staal, if he was able to play wing he most likely wouldn't have been traded since he would get top line minutes etc.

I am surprised that Shero hasn't tweaked the roster more then he has so far. The team, as of right now, is very similar to how it was left...Better backup goalie, worse 3rd line center and a younger 4th line agitator, no Michalek...

Kind of a stinky off season thus far if you look at it like that...



I don't think playing or not playing wing had anything to do with trading Staal. I think it was pretty clear he was going to test Free Agency and when he signed the same deal with Carolina that Pens offered him, I'm pretty sure it made Shero's decision to trade him the right one. You can make the argument our top 6 would be better if we kept Staal (it would be) for one year, but I think getting 3 pieces in return is a better overall move than banking everyone on one season when we just finished a year where the top 6 wasn't the issue.

-Vokoun might end up being one of the best free agent moves in all of hockey when the year is over (even though he never made it to free agency per say). I love this move and if he isn't battling injuries again, it's going to be a steal of a deal.

-I think Sutter is what we need for the 3rd line center for this team. We're going to see Staal's stats compared to Sutter's all year and it's going to get old after the first month. He won't put up the numbers because he won't get the same time or talent. Truth is, Staal was progressing (good for him not so much for us) beyond what a typical 3rd line center needs to be. I still think that easing Crosby back in last year on the "3rd line" was a good idea but bad execution. Even after he left the "3rd line", we had 3 lines trying to run and gun it every time on the ice. I'm not putting all the blame on that, but I think it's fair to look there for some.

Back on point, I don't think we have a worse 3rd line center for what we need.

-I expect Glass to be a fan favorite by Thanksgiving if not before.

-Michalek move was only the one that me a little confused. I wonder if there is more to the story than we know about. I can't see Shero making a move like that just to free up cap space for someone that 20 others teams were going to be going after. I wonder if Z might have asked about going back to Phoenix or Shero, knowing that players have to show NHL capability to have more trade value, decided it was time to free up some playing time and space for a few young guys.


I don't know what moves will be made, if any, before the season begins. I just know I'm glad that Shero is in charge of those moves.

As for the lines:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis (I don't like taking Kunitz away from Malkin/Neal but I don't like Dupuis and Kennedy being Sid's wingers more)
Neal - Malkin - Kennedy/Jeffrey/camp stand out (Neal and Malkin just need someone to stay out of there way but be enough of a threat to do something at times)
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy/Jeffrey/Tangradi (What I wouldn't give to have a 3rd line of cooke/sutter/dupuis)
Glass - Vitale - Adams/Tangradi

-Think they should bring back Park for another year. He was good depth to have around last season.
-If Mac is even up for just eating nachos, we have bigger problems then what the board has been in a panic about all summer.

A trade for a proven top 6 winger would make this mess a whole lot easier, but I have faith something gets done whether now or come during the season.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,820
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: You're the GM: Part 3

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 am

It is stinky so far.... GMRS needs to do what he has been effective at- TRADES to meet the team needs.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desiato, Pavement, Pens4Life and 19 guests

e-mail