Marc Andre Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Marc Andre Fleury

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

columbia wrote:I spent a lot of time worrying during the Flyers series, that MAF would give up a goal on the most routine of shots.
Setting aside my Pens allegiance, I've haven't had that feeling about any of the goalies in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

The Pens (as a whole) were terrible, but Fleury just **** the bed; another post-season like this and he's in Luongo territory.

Yep. At least his contract runs out in three years...and not seven.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ziggo on Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Yeah, to Sil and Columbia. Is there a next step for Maf. I kind of wonder too. Goalie has to play ligthts out, to even sniff a cup nowadays. Who is hungry enough. I think Sid is. Geno needs to elevate. Winning the scoring title means nothing really. MAF, won a cup. Is that all you have in the tank. See M Brodeur. Maybe was over worked. If you can't get up for a few millioN. Is this team still hungry. That is the question.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Fast B wrote:Your axe could probably cut through a Buick at this point. Good grief.

It's not an axe. I don't get how folks look at 18 skaters and blame them for bad goals against. It's that simple.

Folks want to paint this as I am ONLY blaming him, but he is the ONLY one being absolved for his nonsense by folks who wear his jersey. Nobody is defending the entire 4th line, or Orpik and Michalek who were all abysmal. When the puck came at Fleury and he had a chance, he failed too often. Simple.

If anyone wants to defend Michalek and say that it is the other 17 skaters' fault, I'd be posting there too.

The reason I am posting here so much is the idea that people want to blame everything bad that happens to Fleury on his support, as opposed to him. They offer a little, "he could play better BUT"......and the onus is back on 18 players. It's "fuzzy math".

Anyway, I am done. Fleury sucked. I hope he doesn't anymore.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 1:20 pm

ziggo wrote:Yeah, to Sil and Columbia. Is there a next step for Maf. I kind of wonder too. Goalie has to play ligthts out, to even sniff a cup nowadays. Who is hungry enough. I think Sid is. Geno needs to elevate. Winning the scoring title means nothing really. MAF, won a cup. Is that all you have in the tank. See M Brodeur. Maybe was over worked. If you can't get up for a few millioN. Is this team still hungry. That is the question.

Clearly if he puts forth a 4th and 5th consecutive crap-out in the playoffs, regardless of how poorly the team in front of him plays...his agent won't be getting many calls from Shero on an extension. Personally it would be nice to see the team play defensive-minded hockey in front of him like they did in the 2008 and 2009...if he still craps out with that...well, then there's really nothing left to be hopeful for regarding the career of Marc-Andre Fleury.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 1:20 pm

ziggo wrote:Yeah, to Sil and Columbia. Is there a next step for Maf. I kind of wonder too. Goalie has to play ligthts out, to even sniff a cup nowadays. Who is hungry enough. I think Sid is. Geno needs to elevate. Winning the scoring title means nothing really. MAF, won a cup. Is that all you have in the tank. See M Brodeur. Maybe was over worked. If you can't get up for a few millioN. Is this team still hungry. That is the question.

Code: Select all
Geno's stat line against Philly -

71    C    Evgeni Malkin    6GP    3G    5A    8Pts    -1+/-    6pims    [b]1PG[/b]    0    0    26    11.5

Crosby's stat line against Philly -

87    C    Sidney Crosby    6GP   3G   5A   8Pts    -3+/-    9pims    [b]0PG[/b]    0    0    13    23.1

Both had ok numbers, but both needed to elevate.

The fact that both of them had only one goal on the powerplay combined is lol bad.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

Code: Select all
Geno's stat line against Philly -

71    C    Evgeni Malkin    6GP    3G    5A    8Pts    -1+/-    6pims    [b]1PG[/b]    0    0    26    11.5

Crosby's stat line against Philly -

87    C    Sidney Crosby    6GP   3G   5A   8Pts    -3+/-    9pims    [b]0PG[/b]    0    0    13    23.1

Both had ok numbers, but both needed to elevate.

The fact that both of them had only one goal on the powerplay combined is lol bad.

Beyond LOL-bad...to just sad-bad.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I'm already on record as saying I don't want him traded. I just want a backup that could plausibly be our starter someday soon, and I want the Pens organization to figure out how to get him to stop making rookie mistakes and having concentration lapses.

I'm a fan of Fleury's, but I agree with you completely on those points. There are no goaltending prospects in the system and, since good goaltending prospects are so rare, teams aren't willing to give them up. As for the mistakes, concentration, etc... I think it's pretty clear to see that the Fleury-Meloche thing isn't working. It's time to send Meloche back to the scouting ranks, and bring in a goalie coach with a fresh perspective.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

tfrizz wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:I'm already on record as saying I don't want him traded. I just want a backup that could plausibly be our starter someday soon, and I want the Pens organization to figure out how to get him to stop making rookie mistakes and having concentration lapses.

I'm a fan of Fleury's, but I agree with you completely on those points. There are no goaltending prospects in the system and, since good goaltending prospects are so rare, teams aren't willing to give them up. As for the mistakes, concentration, etc... I think it's pretty clear to see that the Fleury-Meloche thing isn't working. It's time to send Meloche back to the scouting ranks, and bring in a goalie coach with a fresh perspective.

The Penguins level reliance on Fleury, based on his recent performances, is frightening. Malkin, Staal, Crosby and the clock is ticking.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I still wonder what it would take to get Bernier from LAK. Not sure if the pens would be too keen on giving a backup $1,250,000 though. Otherwise it's just going to be more junk from <$1,000,000/year heap of goalies in July/August.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 16, 2012 1:37 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

The Penguins level reliance on Fleury, based on his recent performances, is frightening. Malkin, Staal, Crosby and the clock is ticking.....

Right, and that'd be frightening regardless of how well Fleury plays. The Pens have absolutely no contingency plan in regards to goaltending. As I mentioned before, they've only got Fleury and Killeen signed for next season. It's not a good model to work with.

It's not like they just haven't gotten guys to pan out, either. The Pens have only drafted 3 goalies since selecting Fleury. When you look at teams like LA and Nashville (for example), they have all-world starting goalies but they've also got a ton of depth at the position.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 pm

I'd like to have a back-up that doesn't force MAF to be played for more than 3/4's of the entire season.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 pm

See sil's idea above: that is a real backup plan.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 16, 2012 1:40 pm

sil wrote:I still wonder what it would take to get Bernier from LAK. Not sure if the pens would be too keen on giving a backup $1,250,000 though. Otherwise it's just going to be more junk from <$1,000,000/year heap of goalies in July/August.

The problem with trying to get a guy like Bernier is that there are still teams in such dire need of goaltending that they'll almost certainly overpay for them. We're going to see that with Harding this summer. That's why drafting and development are so important - two areas the Penguins have not done well in.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 pm

columbia wrote:See sil's idea above: that is a real backup plan.

Bernier is going to get traded in the off season and I think he's going to command a hefty price. I'd love the dude, but I see a team in need of a starter biting on him.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

Bernier is going to get traded in the off season and I think he's going to command a hefty price. I'd love the dude, but I see a team in need of a starter biting on him.

If it took a 1st rounder...personally I'd do it. If it took a 1st and mid-prospect...I'd probably still do it. Though the problem comes next summer when JB hits RFA status and needs a new contract, and MAF still has 2 years @ $5,000,000 per left. :?:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 2:36 pm

sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

If it took a 1st rounder...personally I'd do it. If it took a 1st and mid-prospect...I'd probably still do it. Though the problem comes next summer when JB hits RFA status and needs a new contract, and MAF still has 2 years @ $5,000,000 per left. :?:

Bernier is to be hailed as starter pretty much wherever he goes. They'd never apply him to a back-up role here. MAF wouldn't be happy, and Bernier wouldn't be happy.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Bernier is to be hailed as starter pretty much wherever he goes. They'd never apply him to a back-up role here. MAF wouldn't be happy, and Bernier wouldn't be happy.

In theory that sounds correct, but there's a couple things that make it more complicated than this. MAF knows how poor his play was. Bernier knows that he's never logged significant games, and playing behind Fleury for the last year of his current deal is no worse than playing behind Quick...actually with all things considered, it's better. Bernier also knows his contract will be up, and the pens would still easily be able to move him without much difficulty...it's not as if he's getting into something long term from the get go, and he really holds no cards to deal at the table anyway. Also, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing for MAF to be unhappy and worried about his starter position?

In addition, there are several examples across the league of two starter quality goaltenders playing alongside one another. Clearly these situations aren't common...but they're also not unheard of.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm

I just can't imagine the Penguins trading away a first round pick for Bernier. I'd love it, but I don't think it has a shot.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 4:26 pm

It would send a severe message on the subject of accountability to the team....not saying it would be worth it, just sayin.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 pm

MAF, Martin, Michalek, $10,000,000, a bag of pucks and an order of Primantis to LA for Quick. DO IT RS! :)
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan2010 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Just saw this picture. How can you be mad with this kid?
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Wed May 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Pensfan2010 wrote:Just saw this picture. How can you be mad with this kid?

Goodness he has always had some major chompers.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ziggo on Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Is he missing ? I mean besides in the playoffs.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 10:18 pm

That picture explains what's been wrong wtih him...I haven't seen him wearing his glasses!! How can you stop the puck if you don't see it!?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I just can't imagine the Penguins trading away a first round pick for Bernier. I'd love it, but I don't think it has a shot.

No way would the Pens do that...

If they were thinking about doing that, then they should just trade MAF....if they don't have the confidence to have him be the #1 then move him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins