Michalek Would Consider Waiving Limited NMC?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Michalek Would Consider Waiving Limited NMC?

Postby Streaks House on Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Take it for what it's worth, as it is via Mark Madden...

From MM's 3-6pm show on 105.9 the X this afternoon (not verbatim):

Word is that Michalek would consider waiving his limited NMC. It isn't that Michalek isn't happy here or does he want out. Mainly, he doesn't think he is being used in a manner that best suits his skill set; such as being coached to lay down on ice in defensive zone.

Sure, he hasn't met expectations, but I'm not a proponent of moving him. He has a unique skill set and I think he eventually becomes what we expected. Maybe part of it was the hip injury this year that he recently underwent surgery for. If anything, this is an indictment of HCDB'S system, which many LGPers have taken issue with as the root cause of the deterioration on defense over the past year.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Michalek Would Consider Waiving Limited NMC?

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Reirden is the defensive coach... The above says a lot about him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 pm

That fact that Michalek has a limited no trade clause is cause for concern...

Shero went out of his way to ensure that he sign Martin and Michalek. Now they both apparently don't "fit" in with the coach's system. I'm surprised that Shero is OK with that...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Reirden is the defensive coach... The above says a lot about him.

Reidern is told to coach the head coach's system...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 10:48 pm

You're surprised that Shero is ok with them not fitting or surprised that Shero is ok with his management decision to sign them?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Streaks House on Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 pm

KG wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Reirden is the defensive coach... The above says a lot about him.

Regardless of who is accountable for the system in place, I think we can all agree that it's an indictment of the system.

Imagine PHX's defense if it still had Michalek?

Tangent of sorts: who was ZM paired with his last season in PHX?
Last edited by Streaks House on Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 pm

columbia wrote:You're surprised that Shero is ok with them not fitting or surprised that Shero is ok with his management decision to sign them?

I'm surprised that he's OK that they have not fit into the system. Shero signed M&M and stated that the Pens top 4 is set for years with Orpik/Letang/Martin/Michalek....which on paper made a ton of sense.

Why can't 2 legitimate top 4 defenseman play well under HCDB??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 pm

columbia wrote:You're surprised that Shero is ok with them not fitting or surprised that Shero is ok with his management decision to sign them?

Maybe it's not the player(s), but the system...as many LGPers have suggested. :pop:

I'm starting to lean in this direction. No doubt that the players underachieved, but there is no way they are THAT bad. The top-4 was/is comprised of proven commodities...
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Streaks House wrote:
KG wrote:

Regardless of who is accountable for the system in place, I think we can all agree that it's an indictment of the system.

Imagine PHX's defense if it still had Mcihalek?

Tangent of sorts: who was ZM paired with his last season in PHX?

I'm pretty sure Michalek was playing with Jovo Cop....and covering up for his mistakes in his own zone...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 10:56 pm

It's a more than legitimate question that you raise.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Streaks House on Wed May 16, 2012 10:57 pm

KG wrote:

I'm surprised that he's OK that they have not fit into the system. Shero signed M&M and stated that the Pens top 4 is set for years with Orpik/Letang/Martin/Michalek....which on paper made a ton of sense.

Why can't 2 legitimate top 4 defenseman play well under HCDB??

Like I said, all 4 are proven commodities. To your point, it can't be merely coincidence that all 4 **** the bed simultaneously.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Reirden wasn't going to be able to escape blame forever.

Since he started coaching the defense, every veteran has regressed or disappointed. Every young guy has been stagnant or shown no improvement. He also coaches the PP which is nowhere near as good as it should be.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 am

All I can say is the old trap, interfere, hook, and grab NHL is creeping back more and more each day. Except now, I'm seeing the goaltenders ran and interfered with much more, imo of course.

Some of the most exciting stuff was right after the lockout watching TB and BUF and their explosiveness... to think how it has been allowed to regress backwards is mind boggling.

What this has to do with Michalek, I don't know.... I agree it's the system. But in theory, the system SHOULD work.... it's just that the game is sort of different than when Disco came on board. It's regressed.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby sil on Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 am

Maybe Shero orchestrated this whole thing in front of Martin...like they walked over and stood right next to him intentionally...

Shero: "What's that you were saying Zbynek"?

Z: "Well Ray, I was saying that, for the good of the team, I might waive my NTC."

Shero: "Wow...thanks Zbynek...I wish we had (clears throat) more guys willing to do that right now."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Thu May 17, 2012 8:49 am

None of the d were of any concern at all when the team was playing winning hockey, which was polar opposite to the strategic and tactical debacle that was the playoffs this year.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am

What did Martin and Michalek give up to get those NMCs? Certainly not salary.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu May 17, 2012 8:56 am

I disagree a tad. Many people commented on this board how bad the d was playing during the final stretch of wining hockey.

However, as bad as they were, nothing compared to how bad they played against the new best player in the world..
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby sil on Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:What did Martin and Michalek give up to get those NMCs? Certainly not salary.

In Martin's case he did...he was offered more (per year) from both LAK and NYI.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 am

Eismann wrote:None of the d were of any concern at all when the team was playing winning hockey, which was polar opposite to the strategic and tactical debacle that was the playoffs this year.

That's kind of circular reasoning, but I get where you're going with it. Look over the last two seasons, and it was when the pens were (as a team...forwards and D) playing all 200-ft of the ice that Martin, Michalek, and Orpik looked pretty good out there...that changed when Sid came back and everyone wanted to jump into the scoring parade at the expense of playing sound fundamental and defensive minded hockey.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 am

Just get it over with and fire the coaches. It's a shame that Michalek feels that way if true. You just don't go from being absolute quality at PHX to garbage. Well, you obviously do, because the system sucks.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Just get it over with and fire the coaches. It's a shame that Michalek feels that way if true. You just don't go from being absolute quality at PHX to garbage. Well, you obviously do, because the system sucks.

Are you sure? Who were their two biggest departures the past two years? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Just get it over with and fire the coaches. It's a shame that Michalek feels that way if true. You just don't go from being absolute quality at PHX to garbage. Well, you obviously do, because the system sucks.

Are you sure? Who were their two biggest departures the past two years? :pop:

ARE YOU SAYING WE SHOULD TRADE FOR BRYZGALOV?!
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 am

He wasn't PHX's top man, but he was certainly stronger in the D-zone there than he is here...which is really dissapointing. Same with Martin...and it does beg some serious questions.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu May 17, 2012 9:31 am

A really bad indictment of our joke coaching staff imo.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jasmine on Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am

Poor Zybie. I said it before and I'll say it again now . . . Martin was the best player on the ice when he first came here. THE SYSTEM HAS RUINED HIM. And Z, too. I honestly thought that Bylsma would be fired after his third in a row playoff crash. This team is too talented to be embarrassed like this. I still don't understand why this coaching staff is still in place??????????????? :?
Additional thought: Is it not COACHES who win in the playoffs? I say yes, and we stink.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins