How about Staal for Kane

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How about Staal for Kane

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ossa on Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm

It's funny how on this board nobody wants Kane and would never do this trade. While on the HFboards, people rate Kane way ahead of Staal and see this trade as highway robbery for the Pens.

IMHO, I'd do this trade in a second. Kane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Staal
I'm amazed Pens fans think Staal is a superstar 1st line center, when in reality he is a good 2nd line center at best.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Ossa wrote:It's funny how on this board nobody wants Kane and would never do this trade. While on the HFboards, people rate Kane way ahead of Staal and see this trade as highway robbery for the Pens.

I'm amazed Pens fans think Staal is a superstar 1st line center, when in reality he is a good 2nd line center at best.

Baggage.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 pm

...the first post said the Blackhawks get robbed. The second post said "wrong Kane"
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 18, 2012 11:30 pm

sil wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
sil wrote:Let's pretend this thread is about Evander...and figure out a way to get it done.

Untouchable.

That's not the spirit.

Drago Dumbovic.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby BCG51585 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:41 pm

If it were Staal, Martin, Kennedy, Harrington for Seabrook, Oduya, Saad, and Kane (or a TOP prospect/1st rounder instead)...that I MIGHT listen to.

Pass on Kane straight up.
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BCG51585 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 pm

PS I can't figure out if that trade looks even or if somebody is getting screwed.
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 19, 2012 12:04 am

THe Blackhawks get thoroughly boned by it. Martin is redundant at best for them. Staal is redundant as they have Bolland. Kennedy is a dime-a-dozen player, Harrington costs them their best prospect in Saad...on top of not getting any better, they lose Seabrook a top pairing guy for them and their most dynamic offensive threat...unfortunately we end up with Oduya out of it...

They respond with...
Malkin, Despres, Niskanen, Orpik for Kane, Oduya, Bickell and Dylan Olsen

Or even swap out James Neal for Malkin...doesn't make a difference, it's not close.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCG51585 on Sat May 19, 2012 12:11 am

Haha yeah I need to go to bed...
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 am

I think we should give them 2 hockey players and they give us back 2 hockey players.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 am

Haven't watched the hawks a whole lot since they won the cup, but Kane was a baller in their cup run and in the olympics. Staal for Kane straight up seems like at least minor robbery.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat May 19, 2012 12:24 pm

shmenguin wrote:Haven't watched the hawks a whole lot since they won the cup, but Kane was a baller in their cup run and in the olympics. Staal for Kane straight up seems like at least minor robbery.

I agree that guy here would be sick
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sniper on Sun May 20, 2012 10:12 am

Staal had more goals in 20 less games and a higher points per game while getting less power play time than Patrick Kane this past season and it's not like Kane plays on a bad team. The past few years Kane's game has been dropping off while Staal's has been getting better. Add in Kane's attitude and there is no way I'd trade Staal straight up for him.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sun May 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Ossa wrote:It's funny how on this board nobody wants Kane and would never do this trade. While on the HFboards, people rate Kane way ahead of Staal and see this trade as highway robbery for the Pens.

People on that board being for anything is a good reason not to do it.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 am

sniper wrote: Add in Kane's attitude and there is no way I'd trade Staal straight up for him.

if by "attitude" you mean "drinking problem" then you're darn tootin'!
I like Kane as a player (though I like Staal in his current role better) but he is just 1 Jager Bomb away from wrapping his car around a pole and taking an innocent life with him. not worth the headache, imo.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 am

The way I look at it is that a trade isn't always good for a team just because they get the better player. In Staal, the Penguins have a huge workhorse who plays the PK, can play the power play, and who is a clutch performer. His peak game in terms of offense isn't to the level of Kane's peak performance in terms of offense -- but he provides a lot of things Kane doesn't/can't. In a vaccuum, the deal is highway robbery for the Penguins. In reality, the Penguins would get a small player with off-ice baggage and a big salary for a huge player with no off-ice baggage (save for one incident years ago that was more about being a kid than being cocky/arrogant) and a smaller salary.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
sniper wrote: Add in Kane's attitude and there is no way I'd trade Staal straight up for him.

if by "attitude" you mean "drinking problem" then you're darn tootin'!
I like Kane as a player (though I like Staal in his current role better) but he is just 1 Jager Bomb away from wrapping his car around a pole and taking an innocent life with him. not worth the headache, imo.

That's quite a leap. Excessively partying and being a lunatic drunk driver are 2 different things. Plus we know he takes cabs anyways.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 am

How about Staal for Zigomanis? Not only is he a vegan, but he was also the "Most Gentlemanly Player" in the OHL in 2000. Plus he can win faceoffs. Plus it's a huge cut in salary, and we can afford to go get a premier defenseman like Suter or Weber.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:14 am

Defence21 wrote:

The way I look at it is that a trade isn't always good for a team just because they get the better player. In Staal, the Penguins have a huge workhorse who plays the PK, can play the power play, and who is a clutch performer. His peak game in terms of offense isn't to the level of Kane's peak performance in terms of offense -- but he provides a lot of things Kane doesn't/can't. In a vaccuum, the deal is highway robbery for the Penguins. In reality, the Penguins would get a small player with off-ice baggage and a big salary for a huge player with no off-ice baggage (save for one incident years ago that was more about being a kid than being cocky/arrogant) and a smaller salary.

I'm not sure who says he's a superstar 1st line center (considering we know what those look like, and I don't think anyone has any illusions that Staal is or will be that) and D21 sums it up nicely here.

Example: 2009, say we get offered Josh Gorges for Hal Gill. It's a no-brainer trade for us to do, but would you do it? No because Gill serves a specific purpose. Just like we wouldn't have dealt Craig Adams for David Desharnais in 2009...it just doesn't make sense sometimes. It's not a video game where you just collect the highest ratings and win.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 am

MRandall25 wrote:

Baggage.

It's funny though. You said it yourself. If it's "robbery" for the Pens why would Chicago even make this trade? This is so stupid.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 22, 2012 9:32 am

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 22, 2012 11:05 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Baggage.

It's funny though. You said it yourself. If it's "robbery" for the Pens why would Chicago even make this trade? This is so stupid.

Huh? I never said that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 am

Sorry Randall, meant to quote Ossa.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 am

I don't know if it's bias, or rose-colored glasses...or just not seeing Kane enough being in Chi-town...but I feel that Staal is a better overall player than Kane...at least at this point in their respective careers.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 am

Lets see how much it cost us to sign Jordan first, if he wants to much then we can start talking trade. If he wants to stay for a reasonable price you keep him.I can't see Jordan asking for much more than Neals deal.

Pens need to get bigger on the wings so kane doesn't help us with this.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins