Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 pm

This is an odd topic and probably in no way truly realistic, but just something I was pondering since well, we're not in the playoffs.

Sid came back, and while he was amazing at times, I don't think it's a stretch to say he obviously wasn't 100% the old Sid yet. By all accounts, I don't think anyone expected him to be and most understand it will be a slow process for him to get back to where he was before the concussions. Ok, on to the question at hand.

Let's say next season that Sid has a very solid season, concussion-symptom-free, but still doesn't 100% get that edge back that he had. He plays around 75 games and puts up around 80 points/30 goals which is obviously still awesome, but again, still just not the same Sid:

A) Do you think he still ASKS for the same money or settles for slightly less? I only say settles because he was willing to take less in his initial contract. Does it he do it again because he knows he's not the same player or brings as much to the team as he did before?

B) Do teams offer him less? That's probably the silliest question, because teams overpay(not that he's an overpayment), but obviously if they're willing to overpay for players who aren't worth it, I'm sure they'll throw the bank at Sid. However, is there a chance teams are hesitant because he may not be the same player and think there's a risk of re-injury?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,501
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby mikey287 on Sun May 20, 2012 5:58 pm

No one offers him less. Crosby has a blank check staring at him if he makes it to July 1st. Whether he asks for the same money is up to him entirely, he knows his market value is basically whatever he says it is. Teams will re-arrange their whole spending structure to accomodate a player like that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,608
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 20, 2012 6:02 pm

mikey287 wrote:No one offers him less. Crosby has a blank check staring at him if he makes it to July 1st. Whether he asks for the same money is up to him entirely, he knows his market value is basically whatever he says it is. Teams will re-arrange their whole spending structure to accomodate a player like that.


That's my general thought as well, but I just wonder if he's gonna have an injury stigma attached to him now due to the concussions? Along with the fact he may never return 100% to being the same player he was.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,501
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby mikey287 on Sun May 20, 2012 6:04 pm

That certainly creeps into the back of your mind, but are you going to pass up Sidney Crosby if you're an NHL GM? I don't think so.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,608
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby bhaw on Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 pm

I think it becomes moot because Shero will lock him up asap. I don't think next year will even factor into his contract. And even if he did play next year without an extension, I don't think there is anything he can do that will affect what he makes. As mikey said, his contract will be whatever he wants it to be.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,986
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby WHITEY1 on Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm

So what this boils down to is 8 years at 7 million per season? Works for me DO IT SHERO!!! Stamkos who might be the best goal scorer in the league making $7.5 mill but only for 5 years. Sid takes a lil less to get extra years added on and sticks with the 87 theme.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,599
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 pm

To take the OPs idea a bit further, what if Sid has two average years, and Geno doubles Sid's output. How do you NOT pay Geno substantially more when it's time to negotiate his contract?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby no name on Wed May 23, 2012 8:06 am

This post is moot, come July 1st this season Shero will begin negotiations. If Sid doesn't sign a deal befor camp starts the trade rumors would be flowing. Imagine Sid says he wants to test free agency... If you let Sid play the entire year without a contract... shame on you shero. Sid is a asset you can't just let or have a chance at walking away foor nothing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,912
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby DelPen on Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 am

If he is not the player he was when Shero payed him $8.7 million but another team still does I would be OK letting him walk to another team provided we find good value in the players signed to replace him. If we spent Sid's $8.7 million on some better wings for Staal and depth then we might be a better team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,199
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Sid was on pace for something like 130 points, why would he have time off come back and put up 80 in 75? If he does that I'm thinking he's worse off than he was last year.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,414
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

DelPen wrote:If he is not the player he was when Shero payed him $8.7 million but another team still does I would be OK letting him walk to another team provided we find good value in the players signed to replace him. If we spent Sid's $8.7 million on some better wings for Staal and depth then we might be a better team.



So after all this time, the "wingers for Sid" were on another team and we were in search of the ones for Staal?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,710
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 pm

mikey287 wrote:No one offers him less. Crosby has a blank check staring at him if he makes it to July 1st. Whether he asks for the same money is up to him entirely, he knows his market value is basically whatever he says it is. Teams will re-arrange their whole spending structure to accomodate a player like that.


I agree... I actually suspect that there have already been some preliminary due diligence that serves as negotiation. The only reason he's not extended through the rest of his career is because a.) the last day of this season has not yet passed and b.) the CBA looms large.

Once these things are resolved, so will Sid.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,196
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby owtahear on Wed May 23, 2012 9:40 pm

I am hoping, and right now it sure looks like, Sid's recovery path is along the lines of Patrice Bergeron. For awhile, it looked iffy if Bergeron would ever recover to be the player he was, and play the majority of games. He could have won the Conn Smythe last year.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Penspal on Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 am

Sid's salary is going to be about 75% based upon his production/health. However, the rest is going to be on other "intangible" value. He is a marketing machine, people want to see him play, want his jersey, etc.

Sid's value to a team does not stop there. Sid's work ethic in practice alone makes other players better. While Sid is no Mike Richards leader ;), he's pretty good in his own style, and getting better with each year of experience.

I think you will see Sid's salary continue to rise, but NOT be the top guy as he doesn't have that kind of ego. Its not like the Mario days, a couple years of NHL superstar salary today, and you should be set up for life.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,365
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:A) Do you think he still ASKS for the same money or settles for slightly less? I only say settles because he was willing to take less in his initial contract. Does it he do it again because he knows he's not the same player or brings as much to the team as he did before?

B) Do teams offer him less? That's probably the silliest question, because teams overpay(not that he's an overpayment), but obviously if they're willing to overpay for players who aren't worth it, I'm sure they'll throw the bank at Sid. However, is there a chance teams are hesitant because he may not be the same player and think there's a risk of re-injury?


A - What do you mean he's not the same player? Do you think he's somehow broken forever? I thought he looked great, maybe started running a little out of gas in the end, but mostly it was just that the team was outplayed by the Flyers. I don't worry much about his head because I think the big issue was his neck anyway.

B - What teams? Other teams are not going to offer him anything because we we will resign him before it gets to that point. I think he deserves whatever he wants, but my hope is that he will stick to more or less what he gets now and that Malkin does the same. Shero needs to make sure they understand he has to have money left to fill the team with good players or it won't be fun for anybody.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Desiato on Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 pm

80 points in 75 games? Where does that come from? There is no indication whatsoever his production will take a hit like that. He had 1.68 PPG last season! And 1.33 PPG in the playoffs despite being pointless the final two games of the series.

This thread is all nerves.

Personally, I'm not convinced that he has recovered from his concussions. That would be silly as he has yet to achieve any meaningful milestones. However, we won't know until next season. To speculate now is pretty pointless. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt though; he's earned that 100 times over.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,185
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby columbia on Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm not convinced that he'll ever recovered from his concussions.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,360
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby offsides on Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 pm

columbia wrote:I'm not convinced that he'll ever recovered from his concussions.


I sure hope you are wrong, but I'm afraid you could be right. Maybe this long layoff will be the cure. Next season will be quite interesting, no matter what happens. The coaches and the players will be under the LGP microscope. As always, there will be major expectations going into the season.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,393
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Guys, he was probably over his concussion long ago. It was his neck. Just my opinion and we know how that goes, but I really think it was. Also, remember that nasty headbutt he took from Malkin and was fine.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Strange thought, just wanted to get other opinions...

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon May 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I obviously don't expect anything other than the Pens doing whatever they need to do in order to keep Sid a Penguin for life. This was a mere thought that if he decided to hit free agency, would he not garner the same kind of contract. Just a devil's advocate thing.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,501
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, Desiato, Great58, Jim, largegarlic, sjnhiils, slipshod, stonyman and 13 guests

e-mail