UFA Shopping List

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA Shopping List

Postby Pitts on Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

columbia wrote:I'm not sure why someone who is Doan's age would move to a less successful team. :pop:

I see what you did there! I'd take Doan in a heartbeat as that "Gary Roberts" vet to set this team straight again.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 am

Luckybreak wrote:1 - I like Michalek but don't know if he fits on the team with the development of Despres and retaining Nisky (who unlike Z has thrived in Pittsburgh). Assuming Despres starts 3rd pairing with Engel I don't see
Letang-Orpik / Letang-Michalek
Michalek-Nisky / Orpik-Nisky
as addressing the problems (mainly lack of size) exposed in the playoffs.

Okay, Michalek "thrived" in Pittsburgh the year before last. So, to say Nisky thrived after one decent season is a stretch. What happens next season if he reverts to the Nisky form that had people chasing him out of town before last season?

I like and want to keep Michalek. He just needs the right paring to allow him to settle back into his role as shot blocker extraordinaire. I also believe that Niskanen earned another chance with his play last season. IMO, if they can find a way to move Martin this summer, they will. I seriously don't know what that means for the umpteen other d-mn the Pens have! :) I like Engelland as both a defender and fighter, but also think Despres needs a full time role. There really doesn't seem to be room for any UFA here. Do they make a BOLD move and trade Letang for Bobby Ryan (or similar)??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Samsdog wrote:At this point I'd like to see Kennedy shipped out, if only to send the message to the players not to get too comfortable with their spots after this string of early exits

getting rid of one of the hardest working guys on the team sends what message now?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm

kennedy is one of the hardest working guys on the team?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 23, 2012 12:51 pm

canaan wrote:kennedy is one of the hardest working guys on the team?

yes
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Samsdog wrote:At this point I'd like to see Kennedy shipped out, if only to send the message to the players not to get too comfortable with their spots after this string of early exits

getting rid of one of the hardest working guys on the team sends what message now?

That no one is safe. It is a tactic often used to send a message.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Pitts wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:1 - I like Michalek but don't know if he fits on the team with the development of Despres and retaining Nisky (who unlike Z has thrived in Pittsburgh). Assuming Despres starts 3rd pairing with Engel I don't see
Letang-Orpik / Letang-Michalek
Michalek-Nisky / Orpik-Nisky
as addressing the problems (mainly lack of size) exposed in the playoffs.

Okay, Michalek "thrived" in Pittsburgh the year before last. So, to say Nisky thrived after one decent season is a stretch. What happens next season if he reverts to the Nisky form that had people chasing him out of town before last season?

I like and want to keep Michalek. He just needs the right paring to allow him to settle back into his role as shot blocker extraordinaire. I also believe that Niskanen earned another chance with his play last season. IMO, if they can find a way to move Martin this summer, they will. I seriously don't know what that means for the umpteen other d-mn the Pens have! :) I like Engelland as both a defender and fighter, but also think Despres needs a full time role. There really doesn't seem to be room for any UFA here. Do they make a BOLD move and trade Letang for Bobby Ryan (or similar)??

I said I like Michalek, never said he played badly, and that was not my point. My point was (as you also said) that Nisky earned a spot, Engel is great in his role, Despres needs to be playing, and even if Martin is moved we have not addressed the perceived lack of size on D.

The closest thing to 'the right pairing' for Michalek is presumably Orpik for a shutdown unit, but then who would Letang partner? Whilst I think Michalek is great it seems a choice must be made between retaining Nisky or keeping Michalek as they don't both fit, otherwise the team will face the same issues being dominated in their own end.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

A lot of players are in fact safe though.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed May 23, 2012 1:18 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

A lot of players are in fact safe though.

Crosby and Malkin are probably the only true "safe" ones.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

examples of comparable situations?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Niskanen is thriving here because when Zubov left Dallas, Niskanen was un-sheltered from the ridiculousness of being thrown out as a first pair D guy at a super young age with no real support. Make no mistake about it for him in Dallas. He performed until he was put on his own, killing his confidence/play. I don't think he'd have to worry about that here.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Alex Zhitnik
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Alex Zhitnik

for Braydon Coburn....great trade by Philly...horrible trade by Waddell...one of his last in Atlanta...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

examples of comparable situations?

'C' Mike Richards to the Kings? To trade your Captain sends a message and would make most players uneasy about their long-term tenure, I would think.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I don't think they traded C to just be traded. Richards said and did all he could to explain that he wasn't happy with the situation in Philly.

He hated the media, he hated the spot light, and he partied like a rock star. He's not the show anymore in LA, and he's pretty much continuing or thriving with more consistency now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Wed May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Would Joe Thornton qualify? It was, what 6 - 7 years ago?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed May 23, 2012 4:48 pm

BigMcK wrote:Would Joe Thornton qualify? It was, what 6 - 7 years ago?

More recent - Phil Kessel?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Alexei Zhamnov
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

and those guys relate to tyler kennedy how?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 pm

It's conceivable that they wouldn't re-sign him, but Kennedy isn't getting traded.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm

columbia wrote:It's conceivable that they wouldn't re-sign him, but Kennedy isn't getting traded.

right, i was just saying that trading your petulant man-child of a captain sends a message. trading a pretty unoffensive 3rd liner doesnt
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 pm

unless kennedy also likes the smell of cocaine, i don't see how him and richards are comparable.

still waiting to hear an example of a guy getting traded just for the sake of making other guys uncomfortable
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 am

shmenguin wrote:unless kennedy also likes the smell of cocaine, i don't see how him and richards are comparable.

still waiting to hear an example of a guy getting traded just for the sake of making other guys uncomfortable

I'm pretty sure the Caputi for Ponikarovsky trade was done just to make me feel uncomfortable.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I don't think they traded C to just be traded. Richards said and did all he could to explain that he wasn't happy with the situation in Philly.

He hated the media, he hated the spot light, and he partied like a rock star. He's not the show anymore in LA, and he's pretty much continuing or thriving with more consistency now.

Uh...he loved the spotlight, I feel like that was the problem.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 am

shmenguin wrote:unless kennedy also likes the smell of cocaine, i don't see how him and richards are comparable.

Carter and Richards traded out to make room for a perceived upgrade (Bryzgalov) in addition to telling the team that only the Cup was acceptable. Kennedy trade to make room for an upgrade-more physical third-liner (Gaustad or similar) that can play the PK in addition to telling the team that only the Cup is acceptable. I fail to see how the situations aren't comparable aside from scale. Sure Carter and Richards were causing their own problems but frankly the problems were used by the media as an excuse for the shake up; they were traded to shake up the structure of the team but the media didn't want to hear it. Additionally, there's no one in the forward corps that's easily singled out, but they were a large part of the defensive problems. So the options are to throw your hands up and say "let's just blame it on the coach and hope it gets sorted out next year" or do something about it. If you pick the latter, who do you move then? Guys that play with and make the superstars comfortable? Guys who actually take special teams time? Not saying you have to make a move, but if you're in the camp that the status quo isn't working, as I am, then the suggestion merits actual consideration.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins