Goaltending coach

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Goaltending coach

Postby owtahear on Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Ya know, even though they went to the Western Conference Finals, the Pheonix franchise is still a mess financially and without commitment.

Sean Burke made Bryzgalov not afraid of bears and got him to be a top flight goalie and a $50 million plus contract. He resurrected Mike Smith from a journeyman into an almost Vezina Trophy finalist this year.

MAF is more talented than both.

Why not offer him a nice raise?
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Goaltending coach

Postby KG on Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm

It may not be Burke that the Pens hire or go after but what he did for Bryzgalov and Smith shows you the importance of having a strong goaltending coach. MAF would surely benefit from a good coach, no doubt!!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 23, 2012 10:29 pm

How can the goaltending coach prevent Fleury from thinking about his lunchtime burrito, rather than the puck?

It's not clear that one can coach cencentration.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 pm

columbia wrote:How can the goaltending coach prevent Fleury from thinking about his lunchtime burrito, rather than the puck?

It's not clear that one can coach cencentration.

Ty Conklin did a pretty good job of it :?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Thu May 24, 2012 3:24 am

The best goaltending coach that Shero can bring is would be a solid veteran goaltender to consistently push MAF/keep him sharp.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 am

Nizzy wrote:The best goaltending coach that Shero can bring is would be a solid veteran goaltender to consistently push MAF/keep him sharp.

I agree MAF seems to need to be challenged by his backup but wouldn't undermine the effectiveness of a really good goalie coach. If you play goal you have an idea the kind of impact the right coach can have on your game, but as every goalie is different so are the coaches, finding a good match is also important.

Turco may not have tons left in the tank but was a legit starter with playoff experience and is vastly superior to MAF in terms of puckhandling. Combine that with the right coach and many of MAF's wrinkles could be ironed out.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 7:55 am

I'm really thinking that, if the cap does hit near $70,000,000, Shero will want to spend some nice coin on a /backup, /motivation-possible-starter (i.e. a Josh Harding type) in the offseason. So long as he doesn't go to the 'clearance aisle' in free agency for a cheap backup G with missing parts.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 am

Re-hire Shane Clifford. Or perhaps Ian Clark is available (Luongo's old coach)? It would be nice to get some better coaching from Bylsma as well. These "practices" where Fleury can just goof off for an hour are two are probably not making him better.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

Nizzy wrote:The best goaltending coach that Shero can bring is would be a solid veteran goaltender to consistently push MAF/keep him sharp.

I personally think that MAF could benefit greatly from both!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 8:45 am

KG wrote:

MAF needs someone like this to keep him motivated...

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu May 24, 2012 8:54 am

sil wrote:
KG wrote:

MAF needs someone like this to keep him motivated...

Spoiler:

aka~ mee-shell Therrien... as pierre mcguire calls him.
Flower played great except for april. crappy stat.
With a healthy back-up it is still up to the coach to pull the starting goalie during games. Will Coach Dan
do that ?
Flower could have use the time to regain equilibrium in games 1, 3
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 am

sil wrote:I'm really thinking that, if the cap does hit near $70,000,000, Shero will want to spend some nice coin on a /backup, /motivation-possible-starter (i.e. a Josh Harding type) in the offseason. So long as he doesn't go to the 'clearance aisle' in free agency for a cheap backup G with missing parts.

I don't disagree, but what some fans fail to realize is that a "Josh Harding type" has to want to sign here behind a goalie that he's seen play 60+ games. I'm not saying Harding is going to find a starting gig, but he's gonna want a situation where he can at least split time and maybe win the starting role...I'm not sure that Pittsburgh is going to offer that or make such a promise, so it can be difficult to find a goaltender like that. Though the importance of a quality backup and a good goalie coach (like Burke, who can teach him to stay up a little more possibly, maybe turn him into more of a hybrid...) can not be overstated...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 am

mikey287 wrote:
sil wrote:I'm really thinking that, if the cap does hit near $70,000,000, Shero will want to spend some nice coin on a /backup, /motivation-possible-starter (i.e. a Josh Harding type) in the offseason. So long as he doesn't go to the 'clearance aisle' in free agency for a cheap backup G with missing parts.

I don't disagree, but what some fans fail to realize is that a "Josh Harding type" has to want to sign here behind a goalie that he's seen play 60+ games. I'm not saying Harding is going to find a starting gig, but he's gonna want a situation where he can at least split time and maybe win the starting role...I'm not sure that Pittsburgh is going to offer that or make such a promise, so it can be difficult to find a goaltender like that. Though the importance of a quality backup and a good goalie coach (like Burke, who can teach him to stay up a little more possibly, maybe turn him into more of a hybrid...) can not be overstated...

He's played his best hockey since he stopped going down like he'd been hit by a sniper's bullet on every shot. I'd be interested to see him go a little bit more hybrid.

Burke isn't going to leave Phoenix unless he wants to and from what I've read no one is really getting the sense that he does. The team knows what he brings to their goalies and isn't going to let him go without a fight, and he doesn't seem to want to go. But bringing in a different goalie coach? Totally for it, been wanting them to do it for a couple years.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am

mikey287 wrote:

That's the dilemna with the Harding's of the world...or Shero will draft a couple goalies this June...though I don't have a ton of faith in that either. :? 3 more years of MAF in any case regardless.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 am

Lol, you are concerned about Fleury being the Pens' longterm goalie? If they could re-sign him now, I would want them to.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Lol, you are concerned about Fleury being the Pens' longterm goalie? If they could re-sign him now, I would want them to.

Actually, I would too. The 'having him regardless' is more concerning who the backup is. The fact that we're living or dying with MAF was the point.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 am

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Lol, you are concerned about Fleury being the Pens' longterm goalie? If they could re-sign him now, I would want them to.

Actually, I would too. The 'having him regardless' is more concerning who the backup is. The fact that we're living or dying with MAF was the point.

MAF is fine, especially when he has some defense in front of him. Fix the team defense and you fix Fleury.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 pm

I don't entirely agree with that. Give him a good defense and don't play him every game. Get him 55 games. If your backup is an albatross, get Fleury extra rest when the offense hot and win track meet type games. Thats how the team plays anyway under bylsma. Unfortunately thats also the problem with the defense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't entirely agree with that. Give him a good defense and don't play him every game. Get him 55 games. If your backup is an albatross, get Fleury extra rest when the offense hot and win track meet type games. Thats how the team plays anyway under bylsma. Unfortunately thats also the problem with the defense.

That's called a conundrum.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Thu May 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Didn't the Pens make an offer to Burke as a UFA which was vetoed by his wife who said Pgh was too cold? I seem to remember that.

If Burke is not available, they could get Bierk - Zac Bierk.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 am

jimjom wrote:they could get Bierk - Zac Bierk.

He's apparently good enough to get introduced like Bond - James Bond.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Fri May 25, 2012 10:07 am

sil wrote:
jimjom wrote:they could get Bierk - Zac Bierk.

He's apparently good enough to get introduced like Bond - James Bond.

He is Sebastian Bach of Skid Row's brother.

Reminded self of Burke's interaction with Pens: was in UFA signing period between end of the lockout and
Training camp. They signed Thibault instead.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby psuhockey9 on Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

MAF is fine, especially when he has some defense in front of him. Fix the team defense and you fix Fleury.

Agreed on your point of fixing the defense, however the defense really doesn't have much to do with the fluent rebounds and the amount of goals that are scored high glove side.
psuhockey9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Mon May 28, 2012 3:42 pm

psuhockey9 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

Agreed on your point of fixing the defense, however the defense really doesn't have much to do with the fluent rebounds and the amount of goals that are scored high glove side.

sure it does. good defenses clear rebounds. good defenses dont give shooters enough time to pick corners
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bunkerman535 on Wed May 30, 2012 12:49 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't entirely agree with that. Give him a good defense and don't play him every game. Get him 55 games. If your backup is an albatross, get Fleury extra rest when the offense hot and win track meet type games. Thats how the team plays anyway under bylsma. Unfortunately thats also the problem with the defense.

You are correct sir!
Bunkerman535

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins