Watching NYR/NJD and..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm

There was a lot of Ryan trade talk this season so I think with the right deal he could be had, but that would likely mean Staal going the other way. Unless there is a good winger on the FA market this year.

I'm looking at FAs. Maybe Doan or Whitney out of Phoenix? Both right-shooters and unrestricted.

Doan
79 22 28 50

Whitney
82 24 53 77

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2012-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-listed-by-position/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 31, 2012 3:26 pm

No Doan. Dear God no Doan. I hate that dude with a passion.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,317
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:No Doan. Dear God no Doan. I hate that dude with a passion.


He probably hates you too.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 pm

I keep looking at that list and nothing else jumps out. We're gonna have to trade PMart Plus for a winger. Who's in?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:No Doan. Dear God no Doan. I hate that dude with a passion.


He probably hates you too.


I hope so. I cheered when he cried after the Kings decimated his team.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,317
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I keep looking at that list and nothing else jumps out. We're gonna have to trade PMart Plus for a winger. Who's in?

Why do we need a winger so bad? Kunitz and Dupuis, along with Neal make a good trio. The Penguins don't need offense -- they need defense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,865
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 pm

We could use a better winger for Crosby and it's not as much to increase scoring but to balance things out. You mentioned 3 wingers, who's the 4th. Sullivan? That's not good enough. And we could maybe then make a PP unit with Crosby, leaving Malkin with Neal. I think that if I am Shero I am very seriously looking for a scoring winger for Crosby.

We need to re-do the defense too, but that's another topic.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 31, 2012 4:31 pm

Sarcastic wrote:We could use a better winger for Crosby and it's not as much to increase scoring but to balance things out. You mentioned 3 wingers, who's the 4th. Sullivan? That's not good enough. And we could maybe then make a PP unit with Crosby, leaving Malkin with Neal. I think that if I am Shero I am very seriously looking for a scoring winger for Crosby.

We need to re-do the defense too, but that's another topic.

I'm not saying another winger is something that should be ignored, but there are two things that make it a secondary need to defense. First, the Penguins were the top scoring team in the NHL in 2011-12...without Crosby, and with the current group of forwards. It was enough last year without Crosby and it will be more than enough this year with Crosby. Two, if rumors are true that Staal wants an increased role and that management would like to try him on a scoring line (as was indicated before each of the last two injury-riddled seasons), he becomes that 6th forward to go along with Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz and Dupuis. If that happens, a scoring forward isn't needed, and instead a third line shut-down center would be on the shopping list.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,865
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 31, 2012 4:36 pm

I also propose we try Staal at wing again. Maybe he and Sid can find chemistry?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Streaks House on Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I also propose we try Staal at wing again. Maybe he and Sid can find chemistry?


Was this combination ever put on the ice for an extended period of time, i.e. 3+ games? It certainly is intriguing, as I could see Staal filling a role similar to Kunitz, except far more skilled and bigger.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 am

Streaks House wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I also propose we try Staal at wing again. Maybe he and Sid can find chemistry?


Was this combination ever put on the ice for an extended period of time, i.e. 3+ games? It certainly is intriguing, as I could see Staal filling a role similar to Kunitz, except far more skilled and bigger.


It was either Staal with Sid or Sid with Staal at the end of the year for a few minutes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,983
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Pens15 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 am

The time to find out if Staal could work as a permanent winger would have been before giving him a big contract extension, not after. He'd be an unknown commodity there. Then what happens if it doesn't go so hot? Things revert back to the status quo ante?

If you're Staal, why mess around? Just go to a team where your role would be in no doubt, which would be a ton of teams.

Another thing is, moving Staal to wing is not a new idea. Before acquiring Neal, this team was absolutely desperate for wingers, and Staal was sitting there the whole time at 3rd line center. Yet somehow, he never found his way to wing for more than a few minutes. Why is that? Probably because they didn't think it was a great fit.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Pens15 wrote:The time to find out if Staal could work as a permanent winger would have been before giving him a big contract extension, not after. He'd be an unknown commodity there. Then what happens if it doesn't go so hot? Things revert back to the status quo ante?

If you're Staal, why mess around? Just go to a team where your role would be in no doubt, which would be a ton of teams.

Another thing is, moving Staal to wing is not a new idea. Before acquiring Neal, this team was absolutely desperate for wingers, and Staal was sitting there the whole time at 3rd line center. Yet somehow, he never found his way to wing for more than a few minutes. Why is that? Probably because they didn't think it was a great fit.


That was the plan in 10-11 and 87, 71 and 11 played two (?) games together, so there was never a chance to do it.
This past year, they didn't need Staal at wing, after Crosby came back and they needed Staal at C when 87 was out.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,472
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby Pens15 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 pm

columbia wrote:
Pens15 wrote:The time to find out if Staal could work as a permanent winger would have been before giving him a big contract extension, not after. He'd be an unknown commodity there. Then what happens if it doesn't go so hot? Things revert back to the status quo ante?

If you're Staal, why mess around? Just go to a team where your role would be in no doubt, which would be a ton of teams.

Another thing is, moving Staal to wing is not a new idea. Before acquiring Neal, this team was absolutely desperate for wingers, and Staal was sitting there the whole time at 3rd line center. Yet somehow, he never found his way to wing for more than a few minutes. Why is that? Probably because they didn't think it was a great fit.


That was the plan in 10-11 and 87, 71 and 11 played two (?) games together, so there was never a chance to do it.
This past year, they didn't need Staal at wing, after Crosby came back and they needed Staal at C when 87 was out.


That's true, the injury situations did significantly limit the opportunities to try it. But I also never got the sense that it was much of a priority either.

And also, it's not like it's NEVER been tried. He's taken shifts with Malkin and Sid here and there many times, and it's never jumped out. Just didn't try it long enough? Maybe. But I think more likely, the coaches just felt that you get the most bang for your buck from each guy as a center.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Watching NYR/NJD and..

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Pens15 wrote:And also, it's not like it's NEVER been tried. He's taken shifts with Malkin and Sid here and there many times, and it's never jumped out. Just didn't try it long enough? Maybe. But I think more likely, the coaches just felt that you get the most bang for your buck from each guy as a center.


if you take away his rookie year, it's safe to say it's NEVER been tried. a couple games over a 5 year span isn't really much of an effort.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,247
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan, Scate and 14 guests


e-mail