Fleury's Backup in 12/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fleury's Backup in 12/13

Postby spiritfan on Thu May 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Timmy Thomas ?
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Fleury's Backup in 12/13

Postby sil on Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Two goalies who would suck up a combined $10,000,000 in cap space in 2012-13. Lovely.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=236
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu May 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Theissen is a UFA as well as Johnson, not sure if Theisson is a NHL quality back up. I would give him a try for a season though. Not to take a shot at Johnny, but Brad couldn't play much worse than Johnson did. Only other goalie i might be intrested in is Al Montoya, mostly for the last name. "you kill my father prepare to die"
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyBurgh on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 am

I always hoped we would sign the Moose again to be backup but I think he will retie with Jersey at this point. Wouldnt mind the Pens bringing in Turco at the right price. Solid veteren, good in the room and maybe his puck handling skills would rub off on Flower a bit.
HockeyBurgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 am

Fleury?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:13 am

1.Harding
2.Hedberg
3.hm maybe Clemmenson
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:47 am

Vokoun. Caps really don't need him as they have a huge fight coming up this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 am

HockeyBurgh wrote:I always hoped we would sign the Moose again to be backup but I think he will retie with Jersey at this point. Wouldnt mind the Pens bringing in Turco at the right price. Solid veteren, good in the room and maybe his puck handling skills would rub off on Flower a bit.

We'd be better off with cardboard-Orpik in net than Turco.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:10 am

sil wrote:
HockeyBurgh wrote:I always hoped we would sign the Moose again to be backup but I think he will retie with Jersey at this point. Wouldnt mind the Pens bringing in Turco at the right price. Solid veteren, good in the room and maybe his puck handling skills would rub off on Flower a bit.

We'd be better off with cardboard-Orpik in net than Turco.

Yeah, let's not get desperate here. I'd rather have an up and comer than an "established veteran". The only exception I would make is for Giguere or Vokoun.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SliderACH on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:21 am

A name I have seen mentioned in other threads which I like is Martin Biron.

Nothing against Hedberg, but he would be an emotional pick, not a hockey one. We need somebody who can reliably start about 20 games. Thanks for your service, Brad Johnson, but you are not that guy any longer. Not that it was the sole reason we lost the Philadelphia series by any stretch, but Fleury was burned out from playing 67 regular season games. There is a reason Brodeur, good as he is, didn't make even more Stanley Cup final appearances. Let's not let the same thing happen to Fleury while our window for championships is still open relatively wide.

Biron has been a starter in this league while also showing comfort in the backup role. He is not that old yet, and sharing the French heritage with Flower can't hurt in the room.

I'm not saying don't sign Brad Thiessen, by the way. If the brass honestly thinks he can give them 20 solid starts, then just go that route because he will come cheaper and already knows the system. But if he's not ready, and I'm not convinced he is, sign Biron.
SliderACH

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am

SliderACH wrote:A name I have seen mentioned in other threads which I like is Martin Biron.

Nothing against Hedberg, but he would be an emotional pick, not a hockey one. We need somebody who can reliably start about 20 games. Thanks for your service, Brad Johnson, but you are not that guy any longer. Not that it was the sole reason we lost the Philadelphia series by any stretch, but Fleury was burned out from playing 67 regular season games. There is a reason Brodeur, good as he is, didn't make even more Stanley Cup final appearances. Let's not let the same thing happen to Fleury while our window for championships is still open relatively wide.

Biron has been a starter in this league while also showing comfort in the backup role. He is not that old yet, and sharing the French heritage with Flower can't hurt in the room.

I'm not saying don't sign Brad Thiessen, by the way. If the brass honestly thinks he can give them 20 solid starts, then just go that route because he will come cheaper and already knows the system. But if he's not ready, and I'm not convinced he is, sign Biron.

Who's Brad Johnson? you mean this guy? Image I don't remember him ever playing for the pens
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby SliderACH on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:37 am

Oops LOL. Yeah obviously I meant Brent not Brad.
SliderACH

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 am

Hedberg actually played quite well this season for the Devils. Moose was trusted and was able to spell Uncle Daddy, leaving him fresher for the playoffs.

So there is more than just "emotion" involved when considering him as a back up to Fleury.

Tim Thomas would get blown up BIG TIME playing behind this Pens team. And he is a freaking, selfish head case. And set to earn 3 mil this season. So...no to him.

I'd like Vokoun if he was as healthy now as he claims to be.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am

from Boston, kevin dupont tweeted that T Thomas wants a sabbatical for next year, not a new team. 8-) :roll:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am

penny lane wrote:from Boston, kevin dupont tweeted that T Thomas wants a sabbatical for next year, not a new team. 8-) :roll:

Translated - "Here are the teams I will allow you to trade me to. If I don't get what I want, I'm taking my puck and going home."
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am

penny lane wrote:from Boston, kevin dupont tweeted that T Thomas wants a sabbatical for next year, not a new team. 8-) :roll:

Maybe he's looking for a new country. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am

Did someone honestly suggest Marty Turco?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 pm

My thoughts exactly.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

meow wrote:Did someone honestly suggest Marty Turco?

And why not? A solid vet with playoff experience and one of the best puck handlers in the league. If the D is tinkered with and the team commits to playing both ends of the ice instead of run n gun I think Turco would be a nice fit, predominantly for the aforementioned attributes that MAF could certainly learn from, i.e. how to handle the puck without giving me a heart attack!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Turco can't stop a puck to save his life though at this point in his career. He would do this team no favors.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Turco is totally done. That was clear when he scavanged up a job after most of the goalies in Boston's system were hurt. Before that he was an analyst and played in Austria. There's a reason why he didn't have a job to start the year and there's a reason why he won't have a job to start this coming season. He's beyond awful now.

Also playoff experience =/= good playoff experience. His best ever series was a first round series that he lost, that's telling.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
meow wrote:Did someone honestly suggest Marty Turco?

And why not? A solid vet with playoff experience and one of the best puck handlers in the league. If the D is tinkered with and the team commits to playing both ends of the ice instead of run n gun I think Turco would be a nice fit, predominantly for the aforementioned attributes that MAF could certainly learn from, i.e. how to handle the puck without giving me a heart attack!

If you want Turco to help Fleury with puck-handling, hire him as a coach. Besides, it's not Fleury's ability to handle the puck that causes him problems - he can move it just fine. It's his decision-making and timing that is atrocious. The entire point of getting a capable back-up is to lighten Fleury's workload. I'd rather have a shooter tutor than Turco at this point.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Did anyone happen to see Turco in Chicago? Man. So bad.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:52 pm

I'd make a pitch for Dan Ellis or even Nittymaki

Here is the UFA goaltender list:

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year ... _type_id=2
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er