Cap projected at $70.3 million

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Cap projected at $70.3 million

Postby sil on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

Bioshock wrote:Mike Colligan is saying the projected cap will be 73.8 million. He's normally pretty spot on.

That's an insane cap number.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 am

Dat TV revenue money dude...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am

So no JS trade then? Good imo.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 pm

one point is cap is determined by percentage of revenue to be paid to players right now its sits ay 57%, if the new CBA says reduces even to say 56%, that would reduce the cap limit. Until the CBA is signed, no one will make a move with salary
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm

I think Gaustad will command more than $3M on the open market, especially with the number of teams with a large amount of cap room. I could see Detroit going after him.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm in for keeping Niskanen based on two reasons: 1. He has steadily improved his game. Very apparent last season where I felt he kept getting better and better as the season went on. I think he's settling in with his skillset and gaining confidence. I don't want to give up on him at this point. 2. He said he fell in love with the Penguins and that he really wants to play here. That counts for a lot in my book.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I like Niskenin and its always nice to hear about a guy who wants to stay, but i really think and i might be in the minority, but the Pens need to get bigger and physical ont he bueline. Thoes stay at home physical players would of been nice, imagine if Shero got Volchenkov and Hamhius like he wanted instead of Martin and Z.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

sil wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Mike Colligan is saying the projected cap will be 73.8 million. He's normally pretty spot on.

How many teams would be able to spend to a limit like that? Would the Pens be able to spend that much? Did they make money last year? I'm just not up on the Pen's financial situation. I am sure a couple years of only first round playoff money didn't help the Pens finances.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:26 pm

offsides wrote:
sil wrote:

How many teams would be able to spend to a limit like that? Would the Pens be able to spend that much? Did they make money last year? I'm just not up on the Pen's financial situation. I am sure a couple years of only first round playoff money didn't help the Pens finances.

Burkle is loaded, so he could if he wanted to. However what has he really gotten out of his investment the past three seasons?
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Still need a backup that is capable of pushing Fleury for the starting job. Seems to be when he is at his best.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:36 pm

no name wrote:I like Niskenin and its always nice to hear about a guy who wants to stay, but i really think and i might be in the minority, but the Pens need to get bigger and physical ont he bueline. Thoes stay at home physical players would of been nice, imagine if Shero got Volchenkov and Hamhius like he wanted instead of Martin and Z.

the teams playing for the cup right now don't exactly help your point.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Player to be exchanged for a better top-4 D is Martin, not Niskanen. Just what I think.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:59 pm

sil wrote:
no name wrote:
penny lane wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
penny lane wrote:Is realignment still going to be part of the new CBA?

That's the plan.

I have a feeling, the penguins will be moving. Maybe to a central - mid division.

The NHL wants to go with the 4 confrence set up, which is what the owners would like, in that set up our division looked like
Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Washington, New Jersery, Carolina

And the top-4 from each conference make the playoffs, and battle within each conference to determine the champion. Then the 4-conference champions battle in the final two rounds of the playoffs.

Which is ironically, pretty close to how the playoffs went for the Atlantic this year

Pit-Philly

NYR-Was
Philly-NJ

NYR-NJ
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 pm

no name wrote:I like Niskenin and its always nice to hear about a guy who wants to stay, but i really think and i might be in the minority, but the Pens need to get bigger and physical ont he bueline. Thoes stay at home physical players would of been nice, imagine if Shero got Volchenkov and Hamhius like he wanted instead of Martin and Z.

Volchenkov? Seriously? He's gone down hill so quickly it's nauseating. He has the 2nd least amount of ice-time per game among D for Jersey this playoffs. He averages like half a minute more than Peter Harrold.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:44 pm

did shero draft ryan suter.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:did shero draft ryan suter.

I don't believe that Shero would personally be in charge of the pick (assistant GMs vary from team to team as to what kind of input they have on the draft, in Shero's case, he doesn't seem to have a noteworthy eye for talent so I doubt he handled too much in the way of the draft) but I believe he was under Poile at the time Suter was drafted, yes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:58 pm

pugilist13 wrote:
offsides wrote:
sil wrote:

Burkle is loaded, so he could if he wanted to. However what has he really gotten out of his investment the past three seasons?

Remember, this number of 73.8 million isn't some arbitrary number. This is in conjunction with the 57% of revenue the players get and the overall profit of the game. The NHL had 3.3 billion in revenue last year and with the new TV deal, there is money to go around. The Pens would be more than fine because of that TV deal, the new arena and the overall support of the team. Not to mention the tickets going up 10%. Overall, it would come out even if they make a first round exit again like they have in the last few years. Everything is relative. The Pens would spend to the cap.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:07 pm

As of right now the pens have 18 guys signed with a total cap hit of 59.5 million. They have 10.7 million in space if you believe the cap will go to 70.3 million (Cap geek seems to think so) and 14.3 million in space if it goes to 73.8 million. Their only UFA's are Sullivan, Asham, Park and Johnson.

Here is Mike Colligan's article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-salary-cap-2012/
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 pm

What is the cap floor going to be? $53milion or so? How are the bottom, smaller market teams (used to be Pittsburgh) supposed to be able to get to the floor?

Does this salary cap structure need to be looked at more closely? seems like it's growing out of control. I get that it's tied to league revenues, but how does that help the smaller market teams if they aren't the ones generating substantial revenues...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Big variance. Higher cap might help NHL get realignment done.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:45 pm

KG wrote:What is the cap floor going to be? $53milion or so? How are the bottom, smaller market teams (used to be Pittsburgh) supposed to be able to get to the floor?

Does this salary cap structure need to be looked at more closely? seems like it's growing out of control. I get that it's tied to league revenues, but how does that help the smaller market teams if they aren't the ones generating substantial revenues...

Because the CBA distributes the money accordingly and the new TV deal affects all the teams positively.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 pm

- Adjustments are expected to be made to the "Lower Limit" to accomodate smaller market teams.
- The "Upper Limit" will probably be brought down a bit as you have to expect some concession from the 57% that the players receive.
- Also, remember, the more that goes into the pot for everyone (including the big market teams) the more gets distributed to the small market teams via revenue sharing. But I do agree that the lower limit, or floor, is a problem that needs to be - and will be - addressed.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Oneonta Penguin on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I think Gaustad will command more than $3M on the open market, especially with the number of teams with a large amount of cap room. I could see Detroit going after him.

The idiot who gives Gaustad anything close to or over 3 million should be canned. He is truly worthless. That said, he will be going back to Buffalo. There are other idiots in the league though.
Oneonta Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Oneonta Penguin wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I think Gaustad will command more than $3M on the open market, especially with the number of teams with a large amount of cap room. I could see Detroit going after him.

The idiot who gives Gaustad anything close to or over 3 million should be canned. He is truly worthless. That said, he will be going back to Buffalo. There are other idiots in the league though.

IF the cap is this number every FA player signed will have an inflated salary.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:43 am

Then there's seriously no reason to trade Jordan Staal.

Seriously the kid is what 24 years old? Prorated season of almost 40 goals? Lead the team in goals in the playoffs this year. Came up huge in the Cup year SH goal game 4 to help win the cup. Was amazing in games 6 and 7 to win the cup.

Give this kid a 6 year deal at least and at least 6 Million and call it a day.

You don't trade 24 year old studs, you can trade him when he's 30.

I really can't believe all the people that wanted to trade Staal, you can't replace players like that.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins