2005, good draft for the pens.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby JS© on Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am

sil wrote:
Cr@zy871 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Now take a look at 2006-2009.

Jordan Staal

Make no mistake about it, Shero's draft record has been poor, at best. That being said, he's also turned several of his draft pick busts into quality trade returns/playoff rentals. You have to credit the man for at least partially fixing his mistakes. And let's be honest, Shero is a trading genius.

The man can sell!!! He is like Don Ready from the Goods... :)

There's still some guys in the system that could one day prove to be NHL contributers too.

Bennett
Khunhackel (sp?)
D'Agostini
Agostino
Bryan Rust (though I'm one of a few who believes in this kid)
Morrow
Uher
Harrington
plus some others.

I agree it's tough to look past some of the absolute busts that Shero has taken early though, i.e. Keven Vellieux, CPZ, etc...

I think Veillieux is more injury prone than a bust. Not saying he's done, but he's still young enough that he might have a shot at the NHL.

Now CPZ, that dude is a bust.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon May 14, 2012 8:29 am

JS© wrote:I think Veillieux is more injury prone than a bust. Not saying he's done, but he's still young enough that he might have a shot at the NHL.

Now CPZ, that dude is a bust.

That's a good point about KV. I was actually at the Bears/Baby Pens game in the fall of 2009 when he suffered the shoulder injury that cost him the rest of the season. He was always a make or break prospect, but you're right in that he never had a chance to 'make' it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 am

KV is at the point where he has had so many injuries that it is very doubtful that he will ever play an NHL game. Shoulder injuries are very difficult to make full recoveries from.

Khunhackle (sic) had a very disappointing sophomore season. Not a good sign.

If Scott Wilson ups his stats even moderately next season, he could be in WBS the following season.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 am

steelhammer wrote:KV is at the point where he has had so many injuries that it is very doubtful that he will ever play an NHL game. Shoulder injuries are very difficult to make full recoveries from.

Khunhackle (sic) had a very disappointing sophomore season. Not a good sign.

If Scott Wilson ups his stats even moderately next season, he could be in WBS the following season.

Not jumping to defend Kuhnhackel, but wasn't he suspended for a big chunk of the season?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Mon May 14, 2012 11:03 am

Kuhnhackl was in sort of a tough spot this season. After being traded and the subsuquent 20-game suspension he was still feeling some of the bad effects of the hit, I think on his knee. Once he was fully healthy, he was hard pressed to get the top opportunities needed to produce on a stacked Ice Dogs team.

For instance, last year with Windsor when he tore up the playoffs he was the triggerman on the #1 PP and played on the top line I believe. This season he was relegated to #2 unit mop-up duty and split time between the 2nd/3rd lines.

I think the best thing for him is to move to WBS next season.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sheriff66 on Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:You can't go by Harrington playing as an overager in Juniors. Sure he looks decent playing against boys. He has some pro potential. But he is along way away.

What the hell...?

Uh, he's just turned 19 2 months ago
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm

I guess this as good a place as any to add Pens signed 2010 6th round pick D Reid McNeill to an entry-level contract yesterday.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... L|PIT|home
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I guess this as good a place as any to add Pens signed 2010 6th round pick D Reid McNeill to an entry-level contract yesterday.

A potentially good defensive-minded D-man...ceiling may be a #4 defender, but probably a bottom pairing guy if he hits the NHL.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 pm

sil wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:I guess this as good a place as any to add Pens signed 2010 6th round pick D Reid McNeill to an entry-level contract yesterday.

A potentially good defensive-minded D-man...ceiling may be a #4 defender, but probably a bottom pairing guy if he hits the NHL.

I read this as "Ray Shero Trade Bait"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
sil wrote:

I read this as "Ray Shero Trade Bait"

Possibly...he has potential to be more than a bottom-pairing guy though...and he has some size potential as well (almost 6'-4"). I wasn't sure what his future would be with the pens, but he apparently impressed them enough to give the EL deal, so good for him. Hunter used him heavily against opponent's top lines before he (Hunter) was hired in Washington.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Well, that was actually last year, when he played with Scott Harrington (wonder if those two will be re-united in WBS in a couple years). He was traded to Barrie this past season. Either way, prototypical stay-at-home guy. Hope he continues to progress.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Well, that was actually last year, when he played with Scott Harrington (wonder if those two will be re-united in WBS in a couple years). He was traded to Barrie this past season. Either way, prototypical stay-at-home guy. Hope he continues to progress.

Indeed you're right. I lost any news on him when he went to Barrie, but apparently he played well enough to get the contract.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Wed May 16, 2012 3:03 pm

At least it wasn't Joe Rogoligoski.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Corvidae wrote:

At least it wasn't Joe Rogoligoski.

:thumb:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm not sure where to stuff this piece of info, so it will go here for now...

Scott Harrington finished 2nd for the Max Kaminsky Trophy voting (behind Dougie Hamilton, who was disgusting this year and captured nearly a unanimous decision). The Max Kaminsky Trophy goes to the OHL defensemen of the year (the Norris Trophy equivalent for the OHL).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm not sure where to stuff this piece of info, so it will go here for now...

Scott Harrington finished 2nd for the Max Kaminsky Trophy voting (behind Dougie Hamilton, who was disgusting this year and captured nearly a unanimous decision). The Max Kaminsky Trophy goes to the OHL defensemen of the year (the Norris Trophy equivalent for the OHL).

We need a prospect thread. If one is made I'll add my two cents by posting a :slug:.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 am

meecrofilm wrote:Kuhnhackl was in sort of a tough spot this season. After being traded and the subsuquent 20-game suspension he was still feeling some of the bad effects of the hit, I think on his knee. Once he was fully healthy, he was hard pressed to get the top opportunities needed to produce on a stacked Ice Dogs team.

For instance, last year with Windsor when he tore up the playoffs he was the triggerman on the #1 PP and played on the top line I believe. This season he was relegated to #2 unit mop-up duty and split time between the 2nd/3rd lines.

I think the best thing for him is to move to WBS next season.

Thanks for clarifying. I understand his role was lessened, but his goals/game took a complete nose dive. If he can only be counted upon to score on the PP then I am not interested. The NHL has a history of weeding those players out before they ever even make it there.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 am

mikey287 wrote:I'm not sure where to stuff this piece of info, so it will go here for now...

Harrington's ceiling appears quite high right now...hopefully (1) it remains that way, and (2) he gets as close to the top of it as he can.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm

You can watch Harrington live starting tomorrow night at 7PM on NHL Network during the Memorial Cup
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Will probably tape that. Juniors is usually pretty entertaining -- definitely can't go wrong with the memorial cup. Harrington and Jarred Tinordi have been arguably the best shutdown pairing in the entire CHL this year.

Actually, looks like London is playing on Saturday.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:59 am

The Penguins have signed Dominik Uher to a three-year entry-level deal.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Streaks House on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 am

mikey287 wrote:

The Penguins have signed Dominik Uher to a three-year entry-level deal.

I have a feeling Uher ends up being a really nice value for where he was picked if he continues to develop. He has a nice combination of skill and grit, strong on the boards/around the net, and can be a pest.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:49 am

I agree, he's a pretty industrious player from what I've seen.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Every year there's a couple surprise prospects who make a push for a roster spot. Who do people think might be candidates to compete for a job in the NHL this season?

Defense: Despres, Morrow, Bortuzzo, Strait... plus Harrington will make a showing.

Forwards: Tangradi... Bennet? Peterson? Uher? Vellieux? Lerg? Sill?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on the forwards.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Tangradi is the only one who should be in the starting 12. I think Uher could surprise some people -- Bylsma will love him -- but other than that, not much noise will be made from the forward corps. Sill could have a shot on the 4th line. Bennett needs a full season in the AHL to get his conditioning up as he hasn't played a ton of hockey the last two years.

For forwards it almost makes more sense to speculate on who the Richard Parks of the world that undoubtedly will be brought in will be :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins