Tocchet's take after game one

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tocchet's take after game one

Postby jwit on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Very prophetic, some of the items he mentions really come home to roost.
http://973espn.com/can-the-flyers-take- ... ies-audio/

Within his points: Pens were too much North/south and HCDB needs to adjust and bring his centers back deeper. The flyers are picking that off.
Young grinders on philly winning lots of battles in corners and on wall.

States pens are a great team from the hash marks out , a great 135' team, maybe the best. They are week below the hash marks and behind the net. From 1/2 point of game one flyers dump in and grind game killed the pens.

Old news now, but nice to see a former coach comment and dissect what happened.
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Tocchet's take after game one

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:15 pm

So Tocchet wouldn't have bet on us to win?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Seattle-Pens-fan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:09 pm

steelhammer wrote:So Tocchet wouldn't have bet on us to win?

I just sprayed water all over my keyboard. :lol: :thumb:
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm

What's he doing now? Let's hire him as an assistant. I think that Bylsma could use some help. Just my opinion.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Sarcastic wrote:What's he doing now? Let's hire him as an assistant. I think that Bylsma could use some help. Just my opinion.

Well, despite me not being happy him saying "he's a Flyer" and was obviously pulling for the Flyers, you can take two things he touched on. One was obviously wrong and one was obviously right.

He only briefly touched on it, but he commented one Bylsma's game plan, which obviously didn't change and the Penguins suffered. It's my biggest knock on Bylsma. He doesn't change or adapt.

He commended the Flyers on the choices they made and what they could have done as far as trades. The Devils are obviously just an excellent team this year, but maybe if the Flyers did what Tocchet said he's happy they didn't do, the Flyers would have excelled. Maybe they need more veteran presence and should have traded for one or two of those older players.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Wouldn't mind bringing Tocchet back into the organization, preferably on the coaching staff....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:What's he doing now? Let's hire him as an assistant. I think that Bylsma could use some help. Just my opinion.

During the playoffs and some regular season games he was post game shows for the Flyers- i have said it for 3 years, the Pens need to hire an assistant that can teach the PP better
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:29 am

I dunno he likes to party a lot. Could clash with DB/Granato/Rierden/Meloche's Dad Style of coaching.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

Oh and I was jammed up at times when he represented himself as a Flyer on twitter but he's drawing a paycheck from a Phila media source so that makes sense. He did play for the Pens alumniin the WC alumni game...although he was great as a Flyer you can't take away that cup he won here, a bond for life.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 am

During flyers/devils - tocchet also mentioned new jersey was attacking the fact that all the flyers d were left handed. They were dumping in to the right side and taking away the forehand for philly's defense, forcing them to move it on the backhand behind the net I believe. It worked.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:During flyers/devils - tocchet also mentioned new jersey was attacking the fact that all the flyers d were left handed. They were dumping in to the right side and taking away the forehand for philly's defense, forcing them to move it on the backhand behind the net I believe. It worked.

Something else that the Devils did was not buy into the Flyers goon tactics. That's part of the Flyers MO. When that didn't work for them they lost their swagger, and with that, their cool. In other words, it backfired on them. The Pens bought in and it doomed them to a 1st round exit.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 pm

If I'm not mistaken in what I have heard, Tocchet currently lives in the Pittsburgh area, despite working for the Flyers. Anybody else think that's correct?
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Bathgate wrote:

If I'm not mistaken in what I have heard, Tocchet currently lives in the Pittsburgh area, despite working for the Flyers. Anybody else think that's correct?

Confirmed, somewhere in S Hills like many of the 90s Pens, my neighbor saw him at a Starbucks right before the playoffs and at a local gym (won't say which one to protect anonymity).
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins