Pens interested in 26-year-old Swiss winger Damien Brunner

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens interested in 26-year-old Swiss winger Damien Brunner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

I found the this in Elliotte Friedman's weekly 30 Thoughts article.

"24. Both Tampa and Pittsburgh are checking out 26-year-old Swiss winger Damien Brunner, who is an unrestricted free agent. It's likely Minnesota is too, as the Wild were ahead of the curve and tried to sign him last year. But, he wanted to spend one more year in Europe. "

The entire article can be found here http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/06/curious-case-of-tim-thomas-nhls-drug-policy-30-thoughts.html

Brunner's stats found here http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96871
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens interested in 26-year-old Swiss winger Damien Brunn

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 pm

I know they aren't the same country BUT... I couldn't help but think of..

IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Cool highlights. Sick hands. But isn't there a 9 foot tall defenseman we can find in some remote country that could be this year's scrap heap trial?
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:34 pm

IanMoran wrote:I know they aren't the same country BUT... I couldn't help but think of..

This is my ring tone
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Yeah I was tipped off to this guy a little bit ago. Impressive YouTube highlight reel, tore up the NLA this year, but I'm not sure how much better he'd fit into the NHL then say a Linus Omark. It seems like Tampa Bay is leading the charge for him anyway. At least we're looking...

An aside: If anyone ever Michigan'd by goalie, my instant reaction would be to attack him. Win or lose, there's no way I'm not taking a run at that guy immediately. I'd never let my goalie or my team get shown up like that without a fight...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

It seems every couple of years there's one of these guys:

Janne Pesonen
Fabian Brunnstrom
Jonas Gustavsson

I'm pretty sure there was one other guy. Each time they're pegged to be this amazing player who will have no problem acclimating to North American hockey... They're either average or busts. Let someone else take them.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Media separates reality from fantasy but doesn't tell you which percentage you're getting. They see numbers, hear anecdotal tales of grandiose conquests and then compare him to a countrymen (Pesonen = Selanne) and that's how myth begins.

As a for instance, when I was covering Fabian Brunnstrom for Dallas on HF, I did my research on him, watched some games of his, etc. There was a lot of pressure from my colleagues to put him as the #1 prospect. I said what I thought of him and stuck to my guns...he had some definite upside and the Stars had a weak prospect pool at the time, but I wasn't going to annoit him anything...he peaked at no higher than #4 on the list of just Dallas prospects...sure enough, it came into question when he scored a hat trick in his first game but just that quickly he washed out of the league. The point is, the media gets sucked in because it wants to suck you in too...the more they believe it's true, the better chance you'll read it and believe it's true...it's all a lot of hoopla...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:An aside: If anyone ever Michigan'd by goalie, my instant reaction would be to attack him. Win or lose, there's no way I'm not taking a run at that guy immediately. I'd never let my goalie or my team get shown up like that without a fight...

Good call. It happened to me once. Not fun. :cry:
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Hit this guy a few times and i doubt he will making such pretty moves.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm

I assume that there's a reason that he's 26 and still playing in Europe.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KG on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 pm

columbia wrote:I assume that there's a reason that he's 26 and still playing in Europe.

Agreed. For this reason I never get too excited about players like this...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SteelCityFan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 pm

no name wrote:Hit this guy a few times and i doubt he will making such pretty moves.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't think Shero is the kind to give a guy like this anything other than a shot at the roster like everyone else. That said, I think there are far more desperate teams out there where this guy fits better.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Not trying to dump on Brunner, but has there been anyone relatively recent who came over from Europe fairly well into their career (i.e. in their mid-to-late-20s) and did well in the NHL? By that I mean, did anyone come over and really stick in the league and play at a high level for a long while?

As mentioned above, there have been guys like Brunnstrom or Gustavsson who have at least made to the NHL and stuck around for a mediocre season or two. Earlier than that, I remember Jiri Dopita being a big deal ("best player not in the NHL" type) when he signed with the Flyers and then didn't really do anything. However, I can't off the top of my head remember anyone who actually flourished.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 pm

largegarlic wrote:Not trying to dump on Brunner, but has there been anyone relatively recent who came over from Europe fairly well into their career (i.e. in their mid-to-late-20s) and did well in the NHL? By that I mean, did anyone come over and really stick in the league and play at a high level for a long while?

As mentioned above, there have been guys like Brunnstrom or Gustavsson who have at least made to the NHL and stuck around for a mediocre season or two. Earlier than that, I remember Jiri Dopita being a big deal ("best player not in the NHL" type) when he signed with the Flyers and then didn't really do anything. However, I can't off the top of my head remember anyone who actually flourished.

I'll take two of my least favorite players in recent history and cite them as examples: Roman Cechmanek and Tim Thomas...I'd also consider Niklas Backstrom and Brian RafalskI to be in that group as well.

EDIT: Thought of another, Mark Streit.
EDIT2: Not that he's that good, but Antti Niemi came over and won a Cup.
Last edited by mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Not trying to dump on Brunner, but has there been anyone relatively recent who came over from Europe fairly well into their career (i.e. in their mid-to-late-20s) and did well in the NHL? By that I mean, did anyone come over and really stick in the league and play at a high level for a long while?

I'll take two of my least favorite players in recent history and cite them as examples: Roman Cechmanek and Tim Thomas...I'd also consider Niklas Backstrom and Brian RafalskI to be in that group as well.

EDIT: Thought of another, Mark Streit.

Thanks. I knew Thomas was a late-bloomer...I just didn't know he spent the early part of his career in Europe.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:36 am

Roman Simicek
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:33 am

mikey287 wrote:I'll take two of my least favorite players in recent history and cite them as examples: Roman Cechmanek and Tim Thomas...I'd also consider Niklas Backstrom and Brian RafalskI to be in that group as well.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the goalie, not the center? I hope!
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 am

Nicklas Backstrom = center
Niklas Backstrom = goalie

Of course, the goalie, pekka!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I'll take two of my least favorite players in recent history and cite them as examples: Roman Cechmanek and Tim Thomas...I'd also consider Niklas Backstrom and Brian RafalskI to be in that group as well.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the goalie, not the center? I hope!

I assume he would have typed nicklas if he meant nicklas.

Also, Hasek is the first player I think of when I think of players coming over in their mid 20s to perform well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeah I thought of guys like Hasek and Fetisov and Larionov and Makarov, but they were a different story - they weren't allowed to come here, so I left them out. But yes, in a vacuum, they work too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JTS66 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 pm

It cant hurt to bring him into camp... i he works out genius.. if not.... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :face:
JTS66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby cma3585 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Who's brilliant idea is it to mix hockey highlights with pop/rnb-tinged rap? May as well throw a Taylor Swift song over them.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Vlad Vujtek
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Very sneaky shot/release. I foresee him getting lit up in game one, crossing the middle like he does so often in the above video!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins