Coach Blysma not over the loss!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Coach Blysma not over the loss!

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 am

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/06/ ... to-flyers/

Special teams is probably the hardest one to look at. Even Marc-Andre Fleury is a tough one to look at. He has 42 wins, ties a franchise record had some great times throughout the year. Great numbers and getting under .850 as a save percentage is just not where he wants to be at, is at normally, has been at for the whole year long when he had 42 wins.”

From 6/4. I never go to kdka.com because their website is awful.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Coach Blysma not over the loss!

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:42 am

As well he shouldn't be.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 am

lol this major quote from him can't even admit that his system failed and he did nothing to adjust.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 am

Malkamaniac wrote:lol this major quote from him can't even admit that his system failed and he did nothing to adjust.

Perhaps Bylsma is one of the LGP posters who blames the whole collapse on Fleury alone?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 am

sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:lol this major quote from him can't even admit that his system failed and he did nothing to adjust.

Perhaps Bylsma is one of the LGP posters who blames the whole collapse on Fleury alone?

Well in that quote that's all he did. IT POSSIBLY CANT BE MY SYSTEM THAT'S DOING THIS. NO WAY NO HOW.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 am

I saw the interview on KDKA the other day. He does, in a round about way, blame himself and his staff. He admits that's why it's so hard to get over. They, as a coaching staff, failed.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am

sil wrote:

Certainly not Fleury alone. But MAF was AWEFUL! HORRIBLE! SUCKED! If he even played with mediocrity for him, they likely advance.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:29 am

Coaches seldom publicly criticize their goalies for poor play. Bylsma has called out Fleury verbally for stinking after the 2010 playoffs and now after the 2012 playoffs. A searing indictment of Fleury's playoff work!

I predict that if the Pens make any noise in next year's playoffs, it will be with Vokoun in goal. Fleury will likely start the first game in the first round, but will be on a short leash.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 am

owtahear wrote:
sil wrote:

Certainly not Fleury alone. But MAF was AWEFUL! HORRIBLE! SUCKED! If he even played with mediocrity for him, they likely advance.

This is the kind of stuff I just simply don't get. You agree that it wasn't him alone, but then say that if he played mediocre, we advance? Did you really think the Flyers just barely squeaked past us and if Flower had made 5-6 more key saves...we win that series? Our defensive core was eaten alive by Flyers forecheckers in our zone, and our forwards (sans Staal and Neal) did about as little defensive work as possible. While it's 100% a given that Fleury played very bad in that series, I really don't see us winning it even if he'd played lights-out goaltending.

I'm not trying to get at you personally...just this constant obessesion with putting the blame on MAF when we had two guys skating around out there against the Flyers, both of whom make near $9,000,000 per year...who played like absolute garbage defensively. It's unacceptable for MAF to play like he did, but it's also just as unacceptable for Crosby and Malkin to dog it in the defensive zone againt the Flyers tough forecheck.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Bathgate wrote:Coaches seldom publicly criticize their goalies for poor play. Bylsma has called out Fleury verbally for stinking after the 2010 playoffs and now after the 2012 playoffs. A searing indictment of Fleury's playoff work!

I predict that if the Pens make any noise in next year's playoffs, it will be with Vokoun in goal. Fleury will likely start the first game in the first round, but will be on a short leash.

Evgeni, the best player and will be named MVP, played a stupid 2 weeks of hockey.
Jordan Staal, who somehow has Selke attached, allowed flyer forwards to run around him.
Plus, on the OT 1st game goal, him and letang perfect screens for flyers.
Sid Crosby, a sinking 1.9 points ave against the flyers, couldn't lift the puck to score on Ilya.
The forwards decided they were only going to play offense.
defense: where do you want to start ?

Marc Andre couldn't plug all of the holes. He didn't make the 1 or 2 needed stops in games 1 and 2. He didn't whistle briere for an offside call either. :(
IN game six, he needed to make that stop. He failed. Then the rest of the team punched out for the season when it was only 1 zip.

The coaches failed to have the players ready for an opponent they had lost to all year. They didn't have them crashing the net. Blysma continue to send out adams when he was being outskated on every PK.
He lost control of the team in game 3.
Winning 2 games in a row~ fleury beat the flyers in the 3rd of game 5... blysma adds vitale and sit tangradi when tangradi was making a difference with his minutes.

Blysma better get over the loss and soon. He is expected to have a new plan of attack .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 pm

penny lane wrote:
Bathgate wrote:Coaches seldom publicly criticize their goalies for poor play. Bylsma has called out Fleury verbally for stinking after the 2010 playoffs and now after the 2012 playoffs. A searing indictment of Fleury's playoff work!

Evgeni, the best player and will be named MVP, played a stupid 2 weeks of hockey.
Jordan Staal, who somehow has Selke attached, allowed flyer forwards to run around him.
Plus, on the OT 1st game goal, him and letang perfect screens for flyers.
Sid Crosby, a sinking 1.9 points ave against the flyers, couldn't lift the puck to score on Ilya.
The forwards decided they were only going to play offense.
defense: where do you want to start ?

Marc Andre couldn't plug all of the holes. He didn't make the 1 or 2 needed stops in games 1 and 2. He didn't whistle briere for an offside call either. :(
IN game six, he needed to make that stop. He failed. Then the rest of the team punched out for the season when it was only 1 zip.

The coaches failed to have the players ready for an opponent they had lost to all year. They didn't have them crashing the net. Blysma continue to send out adams when he was being outskated on every PK.
He lost control of the team in game 3.
Winning 2 games in a row~ fleury beat the flyers in the 3rd of game 5... blysma adds vitale and sit tangradi when tangradi was making a difference with his minutes.

Blysma better get over the loss and soon. He is expected to have a new plan of attack .

That's a very important point. The Flyers completely owned the Pens all season, and that carried into the playoffs. Laviolette has the blueprint to dominate Bylsma's system.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey Danno join the club bro
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:30 pm

switch fleury with an average goalie - we still lose. switch him with lundquist or quick...then you're on to something

still, the whole team sucked. if there is in fact a singular scape goat, it's the coaching staff
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Does some idiot have to turn EVERY thread into a bash Fleury thread? This one is supposed to be a bash bylsma thread. Let those idiots have this one...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Froggy wrote:Does some idiot have to turn EVERY thread into a bash Fleury thread? This one is supposed to be a bash bylsma thread. Let those idiots have this one...

In their defense (and I'm not one to defend them), Bylsma basically fed right into it with the comments this thread was created for.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:52 pm

this is a bash bylsma bashing fleury thread.

it's thunderdome
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 pm

shmenguin wrote:this is a bash bylsma bashing fleury thread.

it's thunderdome

If someone creates a Bash-Bylsma-for-bashing-Fleury thread...the universe may implode in on itself.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this is a bash bylsma bashing fleury thread.

it's thunderdome

If someone creates a Bash-Bylsma-for-bashing-Fleury thread...the universe may implode in on itself.

If imploding the universe would end the bash whomever threads, I'd be all for it
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

SO, I guess this asks the question on when it will be over for him?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm

jimjom wrote:Hey Danno join the club bro

x2
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I haven't commented much on Bylsma because I think it's pointless to really do so anymore. I'm not happy with him. He's a good coach, I won't take that away from him, but he's not the coach this team needs anymore. He's an excellent coach if the players brought in are ones that fit into his system. A truly excellent great coach is one who understands what he has to work with and builds his system around that.

I've bashed Martin to no end on here. I've bashed Orpik to no end on here. I've stated my unhappiness with the play of Michalek(whom I don't want to be traded). I felt he steadily improved, but still never hit he top level of play. On another note, Bylsma has been steadily criticized(in hind site that is) by the media for not having his top offensive players play responsibly in their own ends.

While I mentioned earlier that a truly great coach understands what he has to work this and then creates a system that works for them. There is a small caveat to that: players are still responsible for getting better and shouldn't be babied and only have coach let them play the way they want. It's general all-around understanding a coach should have. Knowing the style that works best for the type of players he has, building the system around them, but still having them play or improve in other ways, i.e. offensive players playing well in both ends.

Tying it all together, while I was unhappy with quite of a few of the defensemen and would like some of them gone, there is a bulk of responsibility on Bylsma for not seeing what was going on and changing the system to maybe bring out the better play of some of those guys. If your top dmen are not playing up to par no matter what speaches gives them, then obviously you need to change your approach of the system so they can play within they're limits.

I don't know, nor do any of us, what Bylsma's real standing is in the mind of Shero and org. He could be on a very short leash, or not on a leash at all. It's hard to imagine that if the Penguins started off the first two months of the season poorly that Bylsma would be the coach in the second half of the season. It's also hard imagine the Penguins getting off to a bad start since there's too much talent to let an abysmal start occur.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:49 pm

llipgh2 wrote:As well he shouldn't be.

He needs to quit his freaking whining and take control.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Geezer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Disgusting performances. This bothered me maybe more than the losses to the Islanders and the Panthers during the Mario years. Really disappointing on so many levels.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Geezer wrote:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Disgusting performances. This bothered me maybe more than the losses to the Islanders and the Panthers during the Mario years. Really disappointing on so many levels.

you gotta just be saying that because the wound is still fresh.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I haven't commented much on Bylsma because I think it's pointless to really do so anymore. I'm not happy with him. He's a good coach, I won't take that away from him, but he's not the coach this team needs anymore. He's an excellent coach if the players brought in are ones that fit into his system. A truly excellent great coach is one who understands what he has to work with and builds his system around that.

I honestly think so many people are getting carried away by the philly series - we haven't gotten over it either.

how can one blame HCDB for a bad system when the players didn't follow it? you can blame the coach for losing control of the team -- but he isn't on the ice and he isn't making the split second decisions. he wasn't lovejoy throwing the puck across the crease, he wasn't duper carrying (and losing) the puck up ice shorthanded with a few seconds left, he wasn't MAF letting soft goals in (side note: i don't blame 29 at all - he just played too many games this year. our new backup will be a very welcome addition). the philly series was over at the end of game 1. the flyers were in the players heads and they went out there and played like immature raving lunatics. i think we had some bad luck, i think the flyers caught some breaks, i think a long season wore on our goaltender and i think the players were filled with so much hate for their opponent that they flew off the rails. i honestly think it is that simple.

HCDB deserves the blame for not keeping his player's heads on straight -- that much is certain. the "system" though - that never got a real change to get going. i am glad bylsma will be back - i think shero made the right move showing confidence in him. i will keep him on a short(er) leash during the season but really, what has happened over the last few years to make one believe the regular season will be an issue?

that right there is the crux...

so many of us are saying he doesn't know how to coach - that he gets outdone by his opponent behind the bench. really? really? playoffs ramp up the intensity but we should dismiss the fact that he doesn't know what he is doing. he did win a cup, one FHCMT may not have gotten. he has overachieved when the team was left for dead (and i'm not talking about last year guys...how many of you threw in the towel this year).

if you go back in time to the night before game 1 of this year's playoffs and someone told you the pens were going to win - i am sure every one of you would be high on the disco dan bandwagon. that alone shows how much this loss stings -- one series (forget tampa and montreal) -- turned so many of you around. one series!

anyway - not too much to really say other than we gotta move on...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins