Crosby contract update/rumor?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby contract update/rumor?

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Froggy wrote:does the 10 year term worry anyone else?

Why would it?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Not at all. If Crosby is forced to retired, the Pens are not on the hook for his contract(as far as the salary cap). I think this is a win-win for both Crosby and the Penguins.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:00 pm

i'm more worried about a drop off in his play than him retiring. sort of like the ovechkin deal
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Froggy wrote:i'm more worried about a drop off in his play than him retiring. sort of like the ovechkin deal

When healthy, he's the best player in the world and it is not even close. Even at 80%, he's top 3. I'm not worried.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby helmespc on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:11 pm

If you're not gonna gamble on the best player in the world, then you might as well just give up....
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SCrosby87 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Why would a 10 year term worry anyone? If Crosby continues to have health problems we put him on LTIR and his $9 mil doesn't count against the cap.
SCrosby87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scpensfan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:04 pm

10 years? Heck, if you can get him at favorable terms, I'd go full DiPietro. Or longer.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Froggy wrote:i'm more worried about a drop off in his play than him retiring. sort of like the ovechkin deal

There is a huge difference between the two in that Crosby is always practicing harder than anyone else and continually improving. Ovechkin, not so much. Keep in mind Teemu Selanne scored 48 goals and 94 points at age 36. Crosby has the skill and potential to exceed that.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Assuming you get 5 Sid-eque years from him, the cap hit is getting lighter (as a percentage of the team's total room) each year anyway. It's hard to imagine years 6-10 being a horrible deal. The only real downside is if the deal is strutured so that all the monies are guarenteed, he takes the hit we all fear, and he doesn't play. We'd have the cap space clear, but still owe him actual dollars which would inhibit out ability to spend to the cap 5-6 years from now. All that said, I like the above quote from helmespc.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:54 pm

No.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Sid does not equal AO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Senka on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Career in PGH. They will have Injury deals built into it i'm sure, and Im all about it. 10 or 14 is fine by me.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Sure am happy to see logic in this topic. Everyone sees the risk/reward of signing Crosby for the long term and NOT SIGNING him is a far bigger gamble than signing him.

In all seriousness, he is gonna have a long career. In a few years, we will all look back and realize how much of a dark time this was regarding him and feel blessed to have the best player in the world side by side with the second best player in the world. Both will be terrorizing the league for years to come.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby's contract announced just after midnight on July 1st. Then, a year from now, we will see Geno do the exact same for the same term and cash. The two best players in the world for ten more years and at and extra cap hit of .6 million over their old contracts? Yes please...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Only that he would be a free agent in 10 years.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dukeharris on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 am

helmespc wrote:If you're not gonna gamble on the best player in the world, then you might as well just give up....

This should be the last word on this subject.
dukeharris

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:12 am

So, CBC is officially reporting that the Pens and Crosby are close to finalizing a deal of 10 years, 90 million dollars. I realize that is what we have been talking about during this whole topic but it seems that this is becoming more than just a rumor and that these numbers may be more accurate than we realized.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:30 am

Anyone have any idea how much Sid makes a year in endorsements? We are quite fortunate that, once in the ballbark, the actual contract figures may be a secondary consideration to Sid with all the ad revenue he has coming in.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 am

newarenanow wrote:

No.

Wait wasn't there another superstar who retired early that eventually pushed a certin franchise into bankruptcy??? Can't remember his name though...
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stick_licker on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 am

Bioshock wrote:Sure am happy to see logic in this topic. Everyone sees the risk/reward of signing Crosby for the long term and NOT SIGNING him is a far bigger gamble than signing him.

In all seriousness, he is gonna have a long career. In a few years, we will all look back and realize how much of a dark time this was regarding him and feel blessed to have the best player in the world side by side with the second best player in the world. Both will be terrorizing the league for years to come.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby's contract announced just after midnight on July 1st. Then, a year from now, we will see Geno do the exact same for the same term and cash. The two best players in the world for ten more years and at and extra cap hit of .6 million over their old contracts? Yes please...

Are they allowed to negotiate with Malkin this summer? Would be nice to ink those two back to back and not have to go through this again next summer....
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 am

Stick_licker wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Sure am happy to see logic in this topic. Everyone sees the risk/reward of signing Crosby for the long term and NOT SIGNING him is a far bigger gamble than signing him.

Are they allowed to negotiate with Malkin this summer? Would be nice to ink those two back to back and not have to go through this again next summer....

actually you are not allowed to sign a contract until after July 1st for Sid, so his won't be announced til then, so we can't talk to Geno until July 1st of next season. CBA rules and stuff prevent that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life87 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 am

Bioshock wrote:
columbia wrote:I haven't discussed it with Staal, but ok.

I have, and he WANTS Eleventy million dollars, more PP time and Sid's parking spot.

Sounds to me we are reaching a tipping point.

Is this another Bioshock exclusive !!!!

As long as Staal doesn't want Sid's old spare room at Marios palce I say sign the deal.
Pens4Life87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 am

He wants Sid's parking spot?!? Staal's acting like he played three years in the Russian super league.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 am

no name wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No.

Wait wasn't there another superstar who retired early that eventually pushed a certin franchise into bankruptcy??? Can't remember his name though...

Ron Burkle v Howard Baldwin finances... I'm hoping the league and Burkle finances hold strong.
My hope is that Sid plays out this contract and opts for another. :D The greying 2 headed monster.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 am

So he'll be able to grow a beard, by the time the next contract is up?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:33 am

no name wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No.

What does that have to do with Sid signing a long term deal when the finances and NHL salary structure are completely different than they were 15 years ago?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins