Malkin question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin question

Postby MarioLives on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm

I am no means trying to stir up a fight. Just curious if it bothers anyone even a little with all the awards and trophys Malkin has gotten sine his return to Russia? I am happy for him and know the competition is much different than the NHL, but it does bother me a little how well he played once he left the Pens, since he was not that good during the playoffs. I guess I am still not over the playoffs......
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Malkin question

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Does Malkin improving his game prevent us from giving up 480 goals in the series? If it wasn't Philadelphia, it would just be the next team that eliminated us...you can't go into a playoffs with such a laissez-faire attitude about anything and everything and expect to win.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:19 pm

He must like playing for Russia more than he likes playing for the Pens. There is simply no other explanation.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Does it bother me that Malkin dominated water-down competition in an exhibition tournament?

Nope.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:47 pm

It bothers me because if Sid had won the mvp at the 2012 WC; Pittsburgh would hold a parade. Who blamed Sid in 2010 for winning a gold medal, but not being able to beat halak in the play-offs ?
Congrats to Gene!
:P

The voting results and some comments about Evgeni.
http://varlysuperfan.tumblr.com/post/20 ... mov-trophy
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:Does Malkin improving his game prevent us from giving up 480 goals in the series? If it wasn't Philadelphia, i think it would just be the next team that eliminated us...you can't go into a playoffs with such a laissez-faire attitude about anything and everything and expect to win.

...i fixed it for you. too many people state as fact that the reason for the pens defeat WAS coaching, MAF, defense...

i still believe that the flyers were in our heads and we lost the mental game before the series even started. due to that, i honestly think pittsburgh would have beaten anyone else (or, at the very least, looked much, much better).

to speak that you know how something would have unfolded is purely speculation.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Just an FYI-the Kkharlamov is awarded by fellow Russian players to the best in the NHL. This has nothing to do with Geno's WC play.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:41 pm

interstorm wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Does Malkin improving his game prevent us from giving up 480 goals in the series? If it wasn't Philadelphia, i think it would just be the next team that eliminated us...you can't go into a playoffs with such a laissez-faire attitude about anything and everything and expect to win.

...i fixed it for you. too many people state as fact that the reason for the pens defeat WAS coaching, MAF, defense...

i still believe that the flyers were in our heads and we lost the mental game before the series even started. due to that, i honestly think pittsburgh would have beaten anyone else (or, at the very least, looked much, much better).

The only thing that made that series close was that Bryzgalov was also bad on a historic level. Even a team like Ottawa would have smacked us around something fierce. We were in our own heads, we didn't play hockey, we had no chance and it pains me to say that...it's embarrassing really. You can't play hockey like that, with that mentality, with just an utter disregard for the finite details of the game and expect to beat anyone. It's a coach's game today, not a player's game...if you have such rancid disorganization, the players themselves are not enough to overcome that. We need to re-focus our efforts, from the top down...re-focus what our goal is on every shift. Are we a cycling offense? Are we a puck side attack defense? Or are we interested in being the Washington Capitals - impressed by regular season success, run n' gun crap and then willow away in every single playoffs for the remainder of our pathetic existence?

Whatever the game plan is, let's get everyone in on it and playing it and get players that fit it. If someone doesn't fit, bye. Coach can't get the players to buy into it, can't get them motivated to play, bye. Whatever it takes. You never know what can happen, the odds are we'll never get this lucky again: we have the two best players in the world on our team entering their primes, a #1 puck-moving d-man that is likely considered a top-10 or 15 d-man in the league, a third-line center that is capable of logging 20 minutes per night and do everything for us, a goaltender that is among the top most athletically gifted goaltenders I've ever seen who generally has a knack for being amazing for us when the chips are down (I know, I know, he's back to being a "bust" again and has been a bust his whole career except for game 5 in the 2008 Finals and June 12, 2009...I got it...)...

There's no time to waste. It's obvious, it's easy to say, but we got to get it together...I'm not panicked or upset, but we have gotten exeedingly lucky in our history...Lemieux turns out to be God. Jagr turns out to be the best player in the game for half a decade. Then we win another lottery and get the next God. We lose a lottery and get a player that is trending towards the HHOF and has already won a Conn Smythe Trophy. When these guys are gone, I seriously, seriously doubt we'll draft the best player in the game 5 years later...better take advantage of it now, whatever that takes...

That rant just kind of snowballed on me there, sorry...I just hope that everyone in the organization from the owners and Shero right down to the janitors at Consol understand that they have a unique opportunity to work their asses off AND have a chance to etch their names in a trophy forever...most teams just have an opportunity to work their asses off...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:53 pm

No it doesn't.

No one would question Sid if he did something similar.

This stuff just boggles my mind when I read it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby interstorm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:19 pm

mikey287 wrote:
interstorm wrote:

The only thing that made that series close was that Bryzgalov was also bad on a historic level. Even a team like Ottawa would have smacked us around something fierce. We were in our own heads, we didn't play hockey, we had no chance and it pains me to say that...it's embarrassing really. You can't play hockey like that, with that mentality, with just an utter disregard for the finite details of the game and expect to beat anyone. It's a coach's game today, not a player's game...if you have such rancid disorganization, the players themselves are not enough to overcome that. We need to re-focus our efforts, from the top down...re-focus what our goal is on every shift. Are we a cycling offense? Are we a puck side attack defense? Or are we interested in being the Washington Capitals - impressed by regular season success, run n' gun crap and then willow away in every single playoffs for the remainder of our pathetic existence?

Whatever the game plan is, let's get everyone in on it and playing it and get players that fit it. If someone doesn't fit, bye. Coach can't get the players to buy into it, can't get them motivated to play, bye. Whatever it takes. You never know what can happen, the odds are we'll never get this lucky again: we have the two best players in the world on our team entering their primes, a #1 puck-moving d-man that is likely considered a top-10 or 15 d-man in the league, a third-line center that is capable of logging 20 minutes per night and do everything for us, a goaltender that is among the top most athletically gifted goaltenders I've ever seen who generally has a knack for being amazing for us when the chips are down (I know, I know, he's back to being a "bust" again and has been a bust his whole career except for game 5 in the 2008 Finals and June 12, 2009...I got it...)...

There's no time to waste. It's obvious, it's easy to say, but we got to get it together...I'm not panicked or upset, but we have gotten exeedingly lucky in our history...Lemieux turns out to be God. Jagr turns out to be the best player in the game for half a decade. Then we win another lottery and get the next God. We lose a lottery and get a player that is trending towards the HHOF and has already won a Conn Smythe Trophy. When these guys are gone, I seriously, seriously doubt we'll draft the best player in the game 5 years later...better take advantage of it now, whatever that takes...

That rant just kind of snowballed on me there, sorry...I just hope that everyone in the organization from the owners and Shero right down to the janitors at Consol understand that they have a unique opportunity to work their asses off AND have a chance to etch their names in a trophy forever...most teams just have an opportunity to work their asses off...

i sum up my position by saying you can't blame bylsma for "the system" when the players clearly were not following what the coach said. again (and i have said this numerous times in different threads) lovejoy is the only one to blame for the pass that picked off in game 2 and duper should take all the blame for not dumping the puck in (and instead turning it over) when short handed with seconds to go in the period. there were countless other mistakes - so many on the horrid penalty kill - that i find it hard to blame HCDB for the tactile execution on the ice of the players. now i will say he takes all of the responsibility for the players not having their heads on straight...that clearly is his responsibility.

i just think many fans on this site are still out looking for a lynching and are ready to hang the usual suspects (MAF, Bylsma's system, Martin) regardless on whether they were the reason for the collapse or not.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Maybe this was the "support penguins russian crew" http://www.letsgopens.ru/forum/viewforu ... 08cc5eca68

The ceremony was also attending by a few Pittsburgh fans, who have been following the Penguins since 1989 presented Malkin with a picture that was taken in the locker room after the Russians won the World Championships. On the back of it they wrote a message to Malkin Also wishing him to be playing only in the Pittsburgh uniform in April and May every year in the NHL playoffs. As for the national team, they said it's time for the younger players to be called up "and Alex Ovechkin." Even Russian Pens fans don't want Ovechkin in the playoffs. Malkin said winning his first World Championship title was very special and that he still wants to play for the national team no matter when.

:thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:28 pm

interstorm wrote:

I respectively disagree. We got abused beyond the point of these theories people come up with that deflect away for the real reasons. Our line up top to bottom can't play gritty hockey and we play way too perimeter on offense, our defensive players are not good enough, our goalie played awful and our coach had better days.

I keep reading about the flyers were in our head, we can beat anyone else, the flyers got us to take penalties. I honestly cant believe that people think the flyers gotmusmtomtske stupid penalties. We took penalties because we were getting our butts kicked.

We couldn't cycle, couldn't stop the cycle and our pk sucked. We have good top end perimeter talent with top end grit too. The rest of the line up needs adjusted. End of story. Prediction or not I could care less, we got best a lot with teams attacking us the last month of the season.

Nothing in the playoffs changed from that.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:18 pm

penny lane wrote:It bothers me because if Sid had won the mvp at the 2012 WC; Pittsburgh would hold a parade. Who blamed Sid in 2010 for winning a gold medal, but not being able to beat halak in the play-offs ?
Congrats to Gene!
:P

The voting results and some comments about Evgeni.
http://varlysuperfan.tumblr.com/post/20 ... mov-trophy

Meh, I dont think alot of Penguin fans even know the World Championships exist. I'm happy for Geno. I'm always happy when one of our guys does well on the international level. Even if it is a watered down tourney.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 am

What Penny and Skullman80 said.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:21 pm

That tournament is a little more akin to an all-star game than the NHL playoffs
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Noise wrote:That tournament is a little more akin to an all-star game than the NHL playoffs

Well, let's not go nuts...that tournament just doesn't matter to us, it matters to them.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Noise wrote:That tournament is a little more akin to an all-star game than the NHL playoffs

lolwut?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm

skullman80 wrote:No it doesn't.

No one would question Sid if he did something similar.

This stuff just boggles my mind when I read it.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 am

Yo Bunky, step awayyyyy from the coffee!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:10 am

I think Malkin is a rabblerouser.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:14 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I think Malkin is a rabblerouser.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am

sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I think Malkin is a rabblerouser.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

I mean how dare he go beat up on the KHL and Swedish Elite League like that? It's appalling really.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am

Wasn't there another one of these threads during the world championships?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Doesn't bother me one bit.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 pm

MarioLives wrote:I am no means trying to stir up a fight. Just curious if it bothers anyone even a little with all the awards and trophys Malkin has gotten sine his return to Russia? I am happy for him and know the competition is much different than the NHL, but it does bother me a little how well he played once he left the Pens, since he was not that good during the playoffs. I guess I am still not over the playoffs......

Not even a little bit.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins