Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 am

So the Sandusky trial starts today... does anyone think we can have a civil discussion about this and not get it locked? I ask that seriously....

I posed a question in JTOR that I later deleted because I didn't want that thread to have a shot of being deleted. I'm honestly curious though, even though I know State College is a small community, how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?

In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,052
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 am

skullman80 wrote: how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?


They have to be the biggest employer in Pennsyltucky.

That would be like a trial having ties to UPMC in Pittsburgh. Everyone has a family member who works for the hospital system or Pitt itself.

I just wonder what evidence beyond witness testimony exists for some of these incidents.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,364
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 am

If the trial is being held in Centre County than it is impossible to not have jurors with ties to Penn State. I believe only the defense can make a motion to move the trial to another location.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,106
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If the trial is being held in Centre County than it is impossible to not have jurors with ties to Penn State. I believe only the defense can make a motion to move the trial to another location.


I thought the defense already requested a change of venue, and were denied.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,573
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, I think people are completely misinterpreting the makeup of the jury here. If anything, the defense would be more likely to request a change of venue. You think people that have close ties to the university are going to be less inclined to find Sandusky guilty? No way. Jerry Sandusky did more to crush and damage Penn State University than anyone else in history, and it is not even close by a long shot.

Penn Staters are still furious with that man, and rightfully so. The prosecution would be silly to request a different venue, if they could even do that.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,331
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 am

Assuming that the evidence is there for a conviction, I have a hard time believing that someone is so drinking the PSU kool-aid, that he would be acquitted.
Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,450
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

I think the "ties to Penn State" thing is a little bit played out. Who doesn't have ties to Penn State these days?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,563
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, I think people are completely misinterpreting the makeup of the jury here. If anything, the defense would be more likely to request a change of venue. You think people that have close ties to the university are going to be less inclined to find Sandusky guilty? No way. Jerry Sandusky did more to crush and damage Penn State University than anyone else in history, and it is not even close by a long shot.

Penn Staters are still furious with that man, and rightfully so. The prosecution would be silly to request a different venue, if they could even do that.


Never thought of it like that , makes sense.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,052
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:32 am

There may be a microscopic contingent of Penn State fans that actually believe Sandusky is innocent of all charges, but the vast majority hate his stinking guts and would love to see him get violated repeatedly in a jail cell for the rest of his life.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,331
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 am

columbia wrote:Assuming that the evidence is there for a conviction, I have a hard time believing that someone is so drinking the PSU kool-aid, that he would be acquitted.
Stranger things have happened, I suppose.


OJ would like a word with you.. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,626
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am

I do wonder whether the prosecution is going to be able to meet its burden in this case.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,922
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am

if there is bias from a local jury, i don't see why it would be "pro-sandusky". the PSU faithful must view him as the cause of jopa's downfall, right?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,535
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

shmenguin wrote:if there is bias from a local jury, i don't see why it would be "pro-sandusky". the PSU faithful must view him as the cause of jopa's downfall, right?


I agree with this. My assumption is that most (if not all) PSU faithful want this guy locked up.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,513
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby the errey i breathe on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm

I think the issue is going to be proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty, given that this trial will lack physical evidence and be mostly he said/she said. Plus the defense is likely to pick apart each person on the stand. I was reading an article on Yahoo that seemed to suggest that this could be another Casey Anthony, where the prosecution has a heck of a time proving their case.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,770
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby no name on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm

In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.


See i kinda worry about these kind of cases in another way..

1. the defence gets him off scott free when he is guilty
2. or he is innocent and found guilty.

In the end i just pray justice is servered. But i think our system gets it right more so than not.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,984
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:58 pm

It's not going to be a slam dunk, that's for sure. Hell, one of the main witnesses has dementia.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,626
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:17 pm

As far as the jurors..

Yea, it'd be impossible for them to not have PSU connections in their area.. But if there really are a couple who are former professors , they could have done a better job than that

I really haven't paid much attention to this, but wouldn't the alleged love letters be pretty damning?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,927
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:24 pm

I don't know if you guys are following the trial this afternoon but the quotes from the victims are absolutely horrifying.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,765
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:53 pm

skullman80 wrote:So the Sandusky trial starts today... does anyone think we can have a civil discussion about this and not get it locked? I ask that seriously....

I posed a question in JTOR that I later deleted because I didn't want that thread to have a shot of being deleted. I'm honestly curious though, even though I know State College is a small community, how they can have half the jury have ties to PSU, one I think being a current student, and a couple being former professors?

In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.


Little chance a bomb-thrower doesn't managed to get the thread locked.

Given how intertwined PSU is with Centre County, there's no way the jury would have no connection to PSU. When I worked in small counties it was fairly common to have jurors who somehow knew the victim, the defendant, or were related to law enforcement. (The sheriffs offices and state prisons are pretty big employers.) You just have to deal with it unless you can get a change of venue.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,685
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm

no name wrote:
In the end .. this trial really won't have a good ending, because either Sandusky is proven of being a child molester, or a bunch of kids made up a bunch of lies and ruined a guys image.


See i kinda worry about these kind of cases in another way..

1. the defence gets him off scott free when he is guilty
2. or he is innocent and found guilty.

In the end i just pray justice is servered. But i think our system gets it right more so than not.


If the jury believes one of the victims, Sandusky is doomed. His attorney has to prove they're all lying. Have fun storming the castle.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,685
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby SirMario66 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39 pm

After 1 day it seems even more evident to me that this was a coverup. The one victim said Bradley would wait til they were done showering and was "suspicious." WTF? Also, seems pretty weird that paterno's final will wasn't released. Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 pm

SirMario66 wrote:Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.

Idk, that's assuming a lot tbh..
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,927
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 pm

IanMoran wrote:
SirMario66 wrote:Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.

Idk, that's assuming a lot tbh..


Yeah, lots of "celebrity" wills are sealed.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,114
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
SirMario66 wrote:Apparently, it's usually available to the public after it passes through the court. Must be something pretty damning.

Idk, that's assuming a lot tbh..


Yeah, lots of "celebrity" wills are sealed.


Not to mention he always liked privacy in regards to financial matters. I'd imagine if there was anything going to Second Mile, it wont end up there. Methinks a large chunk of his estate will go to Penn state in the form of academic scholarships and I wouldn't expect anything less.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,626
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 am

Didn't they find reports that Schultz and the other guy (whose name escapes me) hid the abuse because it would be the "humane thing to do for Sandusky"?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,891
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Next

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eismann and 7 guests

e-mail