Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby no name on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I read the paper today, i will no longer follow the case, its just to disturbing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,986
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I wonder if Sandusky is thinking he should have taken a plea now with these witnesses on the stand.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,269
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I'd say the defense attorney (from what I read last night) is doing a pretty good job of digging Sandusky an even bigger hole in the cross-exams.

Can't say I'd love to be in his spot, but he's probably making bank on this.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,911
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Rocco on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm

count2infinity wrote:I wonder if Sandusky is thinking he should have taken a plea now with these witnesses on the stand.


At his age any jail sentence he gets if he's convicted of anything is pretty much a life sentence. There's no upside to pleading.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,704
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm

As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

I think most PSU alumni share my feelings.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,124
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Staggy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

I think most PSU alumni share my feelings.


Agreed.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,891
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:As a PSU alum I want Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and anyone else that buried, halted, or prevented any investigation into Sandusky to get the book thrown at them and more. I want Sandusky to get the worse treatment possible as well. Based on the testimony and evidence presented so far, I believe he is guilty.

I think most PSU alumni share my feelings.


I believe he is guilty, but also believe with regards to penn state the buck stopped with spanier. I don't know how he sleeps at night.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Staggy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 pm

The testimony today was disturbing. McQueary did pretty much nothing to stop the abuse that he personally witnessed. After he saw Sandusky and the boy in the shower he claimed he slammed his locker in a "Someone's hear! Break it up!" way then immediately went to his office. Come on, Mike, you have to do more than that.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8041466/jerry-sandusky-trial-penn-state-nittany-lions-assistant-coach-mike-mcqueary-testifies
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,891
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby Factorial on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 pm

From Victim #1 testimony today:

One day the boy told his mother he wanted to find the Web site listing people who had done bad things to children. “I told her I wanted to see if Jerry was on there,” he told the jury.

His mother decided they needed to have a meeting with the school guidance counselor. Under questioning the guidance counselor, “Victim 1” said Sandusky had molested him. His mother said at the meeting that they should contact police or child services.

The guidance counselor – who was not identified in court – disagreed, the witness said. “They – they said – they said we needed to think about it. He has a heart of gold and he wouldn’t do something like that. They wouldn’t believe me,” he said.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

I'd like to see this Guidance Counselor identified and hopefully he will face at least a civil lawsuit.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,175
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Wow. So McQueary is a bigger sack of **** than I thought.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,538
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:33 pm

shmenguin wrote:Wow. So McQueary is a bigger sack of **** than I thought.


Well that applies to everyone at PSU and the local authorities, who had any knowledge of what was happening.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,481
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Given what I've heard so far from victims and witnesses I can't believe that at no point was Sandusky ever really challenged on his actions. From the guidance counselor to McQueary to potentially Curley, Schultz, and Spanier. Not one person said this is serious business and NEEDS to be investigated. Given the severity of the things Sandusky is alleged to have done I still can't understand how it went on for so long.

Something just doesn't seem right. I can understand the Penn State cover up portion of it, but Penn State administrators are hardly the only people that knew. It just blows my mind.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Given what I've heard so far from victims and witnesses I can't believe that at no point was Sandusky ever really challenged on his actions. From the guidance counselor to McQueary to potentially Curley, Schultz, and Spanier. Not one person said this is serious business and NEEDS to be investigated. Given the severity of the things Sandusky is alleged to have done I still can't understand how it went on for so long.

Something just doesn't seem right. I can understand the Penn State cover up portion of it, but Penn State administrators are hardly the only people that knew. It just blows my mind.


This article, which was posted in a previous thread, explains it well:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... story.html

Basically, who is ready to believe someone that they seemingly know well and does so many good things is capable of being a monster?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,699
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 pm

That article doesn't help me at all. The counselor is in a position of looking out for children, how can that person take lightly a child coming to them and saying he was molested? How can they think that contacting the police and investigating isn't the right thing to do?

I don't care if he appeared to be a nice guy, if a kid gains the courage to tell you something of that magnitude how can you not take him seriously?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm

You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,699
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

McQueary believes he did good by slamming his locker shut, looking at sandusky and the child victim, only to walk away ? I hope the cover up sullies forever the reputation of the leadership of PSU. Sandusky and his wife... they need to face the real punishment . The wife knew, wife always knows.

I hope the trail of emails submitted implicate all for the cover up.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,519
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:23 pm

MWB wrote:You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.


I just don't see how people can be so naive. How well do you really know someone? Not to stray from the subject or offend anyone but the scandal with priests in the Catholic church is a perfect example. People you would least expect to do wrong did.

To me anyone who failed to report this should be in line for jail time. The thought that "he was a nice guy" just doesn't cut it.

If anything comes from this case beyond Sandusky spending the rest of his days in a federal prison, I hope its stricter punishments for people who fail to report sexual assaults.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:24 pm

My guess is that you are correct Penny.
Even if she never saw anything, she probably subconsciously knew that something very, very wrong was happening.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,481
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 pm

columbia wrote:My guess is that you are correct Penny.
Even if she never saw anything, she probably subconsciously knew that something very, very wrong was happening.


He was taking kids on bowl trips and she was present. There's a 0% chance she didn't know to some extent.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,481
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

columbia wrote:I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.


My point is that there were failures on such a massive level by so many people who were in a position to help these kids that Sandusky alone going to jail isn't going to leave me satisfied.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,219
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
MWB wrote:You asked why he wasn't challenged. That article states the main reasons why. It doesn't excuse the inaction of anyone, especially someone like the guidance counselor. Many people viewed Sandusky as a person looking out for children as well, so he had gained a lot of people's trust. But you're right, there's no legitimate reason why no one really checked into this.


I just don't see how people can be so naive. How well do you really know someone? Not to stray from the subject or offend anyone but the scandal with priests in the Catholic church is a perfect example. People you would least expect to do wrong did.

To me anyone who failed to report this should be in line for jail time. The thought that "he was a nice guy" just doesn't cut it.

If anything comes from this case beyond Sandusky spending the rest of his days in a federal prison, I hope its stricter punishments for people who fail to report sexual assaults.


I agree with you completely. How many kids would make something like this up?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,699
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm not defending anyone even remotely close to it.


My point is that there were failures on such a massive level by so many people who were in a position to help these kids that Sandusky alone going to jail isn't going to leave me satisfied.


Unfortunately, it will probably satisfy most people. And many of the people who could have done something, who did know something, will say, "I'm so glad that monster is gone" and not examine their own inaction.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,699
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Does the prosecution only have witness testimony? Couldn't this still be hard to prove within a reasonable doubt?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,927
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Postby MWB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Also, regarding the counselor, I believe s/he should be charged. Guidance counselors are required by law to report suspected abuse in most, if not all, states. Same goes for any teachers who were told about it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,699
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

e-mail