Niskanen rejects qualifying offer

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Niskanen rejects qualifying offer

Postby SteelCityFan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:30 pm

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/2006660-85/niskanen-penguins-offer-season-qualifying-175-agent-badly-close-continue

The Penguins have offered restricted free agent defenseman Matt Niskanen a one-year, $1.75 million qualifying offer.

Niskanen has turned down the offer, but remains intent on returning to the Penguins.

Following the season, Niskanen, 25, said he had “fallen in love” with the Penguins and Pittsburgh and that he badly wanted to return.

Last season, Niskanen produced four goals and 21 points in 75 games. He was a plus-9 and one of the team’s most reliable defensemen.

A source close to the situation said negotiations will continue next week. Niskanen is seeking a multi-year deal.

I really hope we can keep him. After hearing how awful he was with Dallas, I was very impressed with his defense.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Niskanen rejects qualifying offer

Postby KG on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Not surprising. There is probably mutual agreement to sign a multi-year deal. This was done so he doesn't become a UFA and the Pens can maintain his rights...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Most qualifying offers are rejected...I can't believe this was a story. Of course he'd reject a one-year offer that was a match of his previous salary...this is just to keep his rights...

If you want to talk about qualifying offers, you can have an article and mention a blurb at the bottom about what guys rec'd their offers, and which guys didn't...this just sparks questions and for fans that don't know the whole restricted/unrestricted free agency deal to become confused about whether Niskanen will ever come back...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:Most qualifying offers are rejected...I can't believe this was a story. Of course he'd reject a one-year offer that was a match of his previous salary...this is just to keep his rights...

If you want to talk about qualifying offers, you can have an article and mention a blurb at the bottom about what guys rec'd their offers, and which guys didn't...this just sparks questions and for fans that don't know the whole restricted/unrestricted free agency deal to become confused about whether Niskanen will ever come back...

:thumb:

The qualifying offer was a technicality to protect their rights to Niskanen.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah this little article should of noted, this offer was made to retain his rights, blah blah blah....

Wouldn't be suprised to see this deal happen shortly, maybe right after the draft but befor free agency.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 pm

This is getting done. He will be a Penguin come fall. Both sides want a multi-year deal and it will happen sooner rather than later.

Also, you are going to have 9 NHL caliber defenseman in Orpik, Letang, Martin, Michalek, Niskanen, Lovejoy, Engelland, Bortuzzo and Despres. The Blue line will look different come fall because that just isn't a manageable number and you can't send someone through waivers and lose an NHL caliber defenseman for nothing.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:59 pm

He doesn't wanna return that badly now does he?

Edit: Didn't see that this means they retain his right for longer. Makes more sense now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I am just glad Niskanen wants to stay a Pen. Depending on the contract, I may get his jersey.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:He doesn't wanna return that badly now does he?

Edit: Didn't see that this means they retain his right for longer. Makes more sense now.

Yeah. You have to tender a qualifying offer in order to keep the restricted status, which means they can negotiate and any offers that come in can be matched if the Pens wish to.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SteelCityFan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Rylan wrote:I am just glad Niskanen wants to stay a Pen. Depending on the contract, I may get his jersey.

:thumb:
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 pm

no name wrote:Yeah this little article should of noted, this offer was made to retain his rights, blah blah blah....

Wouldn't be suprised to see this deal happen shortly, maybe right after the draft but befor free agency.

These articles are perfect for the fan that knows next to nothing about the free agency technicalities that happen during the offseason. It's a penguins attention grab in an otherwise dull time of year
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am

nisky is a bottom pairing d-man. I just don't see where he fits on this team with despres, engelleland, and strait (even lovejoy) fighting for those bottom minutes with his eventual cap hit. I'm sure we'll see some deals before the season starts since any of those players will likely be claimed off waivers, and the pens would surely want to get something for any of them.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 am

Nisky is a really good #5 and (if he elevates his play a little) could potentially be a #4 paired with a Bryan Allen type.
Problem is neither Martin or Michalek are Bryan Allen types, and Engel, Despres and Strait/Bortuzzo are currently more suited to the #5/6/depth spots.
I highly doubt we lose any of them for nothing, but if Shero is serious about signing Nisky at least one or two of M+M and Orpik will have to be moved.
Anyone else expecting Nisky to sign for 2 years 2mil per?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 am

Based on overall quality of play Niskanen and Despres were better than Martin and Michalek. Granted, some will say that martin and Michalek were playing 20+ minutes a night. Fine, let's see if Niskanen and Despres crap the bed as bad as those two did if given a larger role. I can't possibly see how they would do worse.

The problem going forward isn;t rationalizing paying your #5 $3 million, it's why are we paying the 6th or 7th most reliable defenseman the most at $5 million?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 am

Given the salary cap, paying a guy like Niskanen $2.5 million or whatever isn't a bank breaker (that's near league average salary, I would think)...I'm certainly not concerned with holding spots open for guys like Strait and Bortuzzo and Lovejoy or even Engelland to be honest in exchange for getting rid of Niskanen...one or two of them is worth a late pick, Lovejoy would clear waivers if he put through them I'd think...I'm not concerned about making room for the best that can do it...

Sure, ideally, we move Martin (or accomodate him system-wise) but failing that...in a pinch, I could catapult any of those four guys I mentioned and not lose much sleep to be honest...maybe you don't want to, but it's a business, sometimes you have to make a tough decision like that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 am

At what exactly is Martin better than Niskanen at this point? Sign him for half of Martin's salary and trade Martin.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:36 am

Sarcastic wrote:At what exactly is Martin better than Niskanen at this point? Sign him for half of Martin's salary and trade Martin.

Troll/10
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:At what exactly is Martin better than Niskanen at this point? Sign him for half of Martin's salary and trade Martin.

Troll/10

Is that some kind of code?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I can see Nisky resigning for 2 or 3 years at 2.5-2.75. Lovejoy needs to be moved to open a roster spot for Strait. I dont see Shero paying a one way deal to Lovejoy to play in the AHL. Engelland aint going anywhere. The guy makes minimum wage and gives you 15 minutes most nights, not to mention provides the only toughness on the roster. Would love to see Martin moved, i just dont see it happening. I dont see anyone from outside the organization at D on the opening night roster.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Lovejoy is a pretty disposable commodity.
Strait and Bortuzzo might or might not rise about his status, but RS needs to see if they can.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 pm

I like Nisky and all, he played well, but for me i think we got enough puck moving defencemen, we need to focus on getting more shutdown defencemen. Letang works the powerplay and we got forwards for the other point. I would like a more physical presence than Niskenin.

Puck movers: Letang, Niskenin, Despres Martin
Stay at home: Orpik, Michalek,
Stay at home, Boarderline NHLers: Lovejoy, Strait , Bortuzzo, Engelland

Pens need to focus on bigger more physical D men. NHL quality types.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:34 am

I think this organization is at the point that sending a one-way contract to WBS is not an issue. Waivers and potential is what will be in play here. Unfortunately this means we might see Despres start in WBS if someone can't be moved. I'd hate to lose Bortuzzo or Strait, and even Lovejoy, for nothing. But if it comes fown to it, Lovejoy has the least upside and might clear.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:15 am

All these defensemen.... and what if Morrow makes the team this year? Not that much of a stretch when you remember how well he played in camp last year.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:22 am

FallenHero96 wrote:All these defensemen.... and what if Morrow makes the team this year? Not that much of a stretch when you remember how well he played in camp last year.

Only thing is, we've all seen this before where some top prospect has a hot shot camp and then proceeds to stink it up in the pros. Not saying this will happen with Morrow but I think it's best to lower expectations for a guy like him so soon, even if he has another great camp this following year.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:31 am

mikey287 wrote:Given the salary cap, paying a guy like Niskanen $2.5 million or whatever isn't a bank breaker (that's near league average salary, I would think)...I'm certainly not concerned with holding spots open for guys like Strait and Bortuzzo and Lovejoy or even Engelland to be honest in exchange for getting rid of Niskanen...one or two of them is worth a late pick, Lovejoy would clear waivers if he put through them I'd think...I'm not concerned about making room for the best that can do it...

Sure, ideally, we move Martin (or accomodate him system-wise) but failing that...in a pinch, I could catapult any of those four guys I mentioned and not lose much sleep to be honest...maybe you don't want to, but it's a business, sometimes you have to make a tough decision like that...

I don't think the Pens would have trouble moving Lovejoy for like a 6th round pick to a team like Carolina that really needs dmen. same with Engelland. don't think either would clear waivers. They are dmen and it's the NHL off-season......GM's just love them some dmen, regardless of pedigree!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins