Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Per molinari's twitter

Also shero states no plan to trade staal

Nice to finally have real reporting
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm

The d man that could be traded is most likely Martin, or maybe Orpik. I wouldn't give up on Michalek just yet.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG

Shero confirms that he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season, declines to say if he's asked any to waive no-trade

Which leads me to believe that he has.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:25 pm

SolidSnake wrote:The d man that could be traded is most likely Martin, or maybe Orpik. I wouldn't give up on Michalek just yet.

Agree
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:25 pm

columbia wrote:
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG

Shero confirms that he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season, declines to say if he's asked any to waive no-trade

Which leads me to believe that he has.

Hmmm...unless it's Niskanen's rights, Letang, Engellend, Lovejoy, or any of the prospects...(i.e. the ones likely to be kept)...he pretty much HAS to. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:27 pm

SolidSnake wrote:The d man that could be traded is most likely Martin, or maybe Orpik. I wouldn't give up on Michalek just yet.

I'd guess the d men most likely to be traded are strait, bortuzzo, and lovejoy. The team is stacked with bottom pairing defensemen and they'll have to clear waivers next year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:31 pm

IanMoran wrote:

Agree

I wonder too, because Orpik has an affordable salary, but he is getting older, and I can't remember if he has a limited NMC or not. I dunno what teams would be interested in Orpik.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Trading Bortozzo and Strait is a great way to continue the Pens' saga of why we never have any defensive d-men in the system.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:33 pm

steelhammer wrote:Trading Bortozzo and Strait is a great way to continue the Pens' saga of why we never have any defensive d-men in the system.

I wouldn't expect either of them to be traded; unless DB has visions of grandeur, of Lovejoy finally breaking out. :pop:
Last edited by columbia on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:33 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

I'd guess the d men most likely to be traded are strait, bortuzzo, and lovejoy. The team is stacked with bottom pairing defensemen and they'll have to clear waivers next year.

What would you really get for any of those guys? Lovejoy kinda sucked at the end of the year, Strait is kind of a dime a dozen, Bortuzzo might be the only one who would fetch anything.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Most likely Martin. Outside the box would be Orpik(but that's like half of the entire team's toughness and vocal leadership).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:35 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

Agree. Everyone will go ape-charcoal with rumors of a Martin trade and it will be Lovejoy to whoever for another no good forward prospect, or a low-round pick in the draft.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Other than letang nobody is safe.

Martin is obviously the first thy want out, probably Orpik next.
And the fact they barely used Engellend in the playoffs when the defense was already sucking shows little confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see three go.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:40 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Other than letang nobody is safe.

And the fact they barely used Engellend in the playoffs when the defense was already sucking shows little confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see three go.

I don't think there is much point to trading the whole defense away when the coaching is the main problem, imo.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Other than letang nobody is safe.

I don't think there is much point to trading the whole defense away when the coaching is the main problem, imo.

Well I agree but it's just what I think they will do. It doesn't get mentioned as much but Orpik was just as awful as anyone down the stretch and in the playoffs, and they still wouldn't give Engellend any minutes at all.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Engellend, for his role/minutes/salary...is fine. Orpik, yeah, it could be argued to trade him...and some teams may really want him, but $3,750,000 for two more years with the experience/leadership he brings is also fine. Michalek...more of an argument could be made, but his $4,000,000 isn't the most hampering of salaries for his role/minutes. For multiple and obvious reasons Martin, while not a terrible player, is the guy Shero will be looking to deal...perhaps even before Friday.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Lovejoy seems to get piled on around here for little reason. He had what, 1 or 2 bad games this season? Last season he played very well. For what it's worth, Crosby says he is the toughest defender to play against in practice. He could still be good if he got regular shifts. He's nothing like that one horrendous playoff game. Niskanen proved that this season.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

If Orpik got traded I would be a very sad panda.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Pens are in need of a Strong stay at home presence on the blueline. We have enough puck movers.

But i agree with the other poster, its most likely a Burtuzzo Lovejoy Strait or Engelland. You might be able to get a draft pick or something like that from them.

I would assume this might mean Niskanin is close to being signed.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:04 pm

steelhammer wrote:Lovejoy seems to get piled on around here for little reason. He had what, 1 or 2 bad games this season? Last season he played very well. For what it's worth, Crosby says he is the toughest defender to play against in practice. He could still be good if he got regular shifts. He's nothing like that one horrendous playoff game. Niskanen proved that this season.

...if he didn't make that pass in the early moments of the 3rd period of game 2, i believe the pens win that game.

they win that game - i think the flyers are out of their head (they clearly were in it).

with the flyers out of their heads - i think the pens play much better in that series and (honestly) i believe they win it.

not saying lovejoy's pass cost us the cup...but that was a REALLY BAD play that sucked the life out of the team. for what he brings (which isn't much when there are others who can take his place), i simply couldn't keep a risk like him around.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

interstorm wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Lovejoy seems to get piled on around here for little reason. He had what, 1 or 2 bad games this season? Last season he played very well. For what it's worth, Crosby says he is the toughest defender to play against in practice. He could still be good if he got regular shifts. He's nothing like that one horrendous playoff game. Niskanen proved that this season.

...if he didn't make that pass in the early moments of the 3rd period of game 2, i believe the pens win that game.

they win that game - i think the flyers are out of their head (they clearly were in it).

with the flyers out of their heads - i think the pens play much better in that series and (honestly) i believe they win it.

not saying lovejoy's pass cost us the cup...but that was a REALLY BAD play that sucked the life out of the team. for what he brings (which isn't much when there are others who can take his place), i simply couldn't keep a risk like him around.

There were a lot of bad plays in that series. From every defenseman and every forward. I think singling one out is pretty stupid.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby opie22002 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

With guys like Despres, Morrow, and Harrington in the system and with Shero trying to resign Niskanen, it only makes sense that the Pens will be looking to move some dmen for assets. I'd be in favor of moving Martin and Michalek.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
interstorm wrote:

There were a lot of bad plays in that series. From every defenseman and every forward. I think singling one out is pretty stupid.

I think the notion they were in our heads more than that we sucked on the overall team game once teams started attacking us all the time is silly.

whether its coaching or players or both some changes need made and that includes no matter what some d personnel movement.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:22 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
interstorm wrote:

not sure how that was "stupid" (nice vocabulary, by the way). the pens had the momentum there. they were all fired up, the home team was in it -- everything was set to go their way and the team was ready to put game 1 behind them. i had read somewhere that mario threw something (bottle of wine maybe) after that goal. whether that is true or not - i didn't hear any similar statement on any other goal. that was a real pivotal moment in the series and there is nothing "stupid" about wanting that one back.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 pm

interstorm wrote:

Perhaps he doesn't make that pass if the Zamboni had cleaned the ice counter clockwise instead of clockwise... you just aren't pursuing enough depth in your causal chain.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins