Tyler Kennedy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Tyler Kennedy

Postby JaysTelestrator on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am

A year after Kennedy inked his new deal and had a very average season, how does everyone view TK's future here in Pittsburgh. I got to thinking about it today and almost dont see Kennedy fitting on this team. IF Shero does decide to part with Staal this offseason, this leaves our third line extremely undersized(pending what is brought back given a Staal trade). IMO, moving forward, adding size to the third line is something which is very much needed. Not saying TK will be moved, but I believe this draft weekend he can surely be dangled, and replaced with size. Thoughts?
JaysTelestrator
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Tyler Kennedy

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 am

I'm assuming that Shero will re-sign him only at a price that he likes and let him walk otherwise.
You don't overpay for a third liner.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 am

The thing is Kennedy's value isn't that high to the rest of the league because he's just a lunch pailer really...there's no illusion from anyone in the know that he's a 2nd liner...he's a hard-working, binary third liner that goes up and down for 40 seconds and comes off...he can't play special teams either...

He's one of those guys that ends up being more valuable to us than he is to another team...what's more value to us, Kennedy or a 4th? It's Kennedy by a mile...he's one of those guys that may walk as a free agent and move on, but he's not really a tradeable piece, especially on his own. Even though it doesn't seem like it, trading in the NHL is actually a big deal...you don't just go out and get a player like this without a plan for him...the same way you don't see what he brings to this lineup, is the same way Dean Lombardi, Bryan Murray and Dale Tallon don't see what he brings to theirs...

Unless he's a throw-in in a package somewhere, he'll stay I think...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 am

He's a plug-n-play kind of guy. Every team has one or two and they hold no value in a trade.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am

Yet everyone drools over these guys at the deadline (Paul Gaustad comes to mind).
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am

Yes, this pleases me.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Yet everyone drools over these guys at the deadline (Paul Gaustad comes to mind).

Gaustad serves more of a purpose - he's a stud on draws.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am

Tyler Kennedy's points per game remained pretty much the same despite no pp time and a more limited role compared to 10-11.

He is cheap for his production, doesn't kill you when he's on the ice, and isn't a distraction off the ice.

Not saying he's awesome, or anything... Just if shero was happy enough to sign him last year, nothing that he did last year should have really changed that opinion.

He's not immune to trades, but a more productive player won't be as cheap, and a cheaper player won't be as productive. I don't see us getting value in return for him.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 am

meow wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:Yet everyone drools over these guys at the deadline (Paul Gaustad comes to mind).

Still a plugger otherwise. Just sayin, some of us may think TK is just another vanilla guy... but to some team looking for 15 or so goals from their third ling wing, then TK fits the bill. Kid can skate and can sometimes get himself in good spots for a shot.

To each their own but I wouldn't toss TK on the scrap heap of untradeable fodder. I still see good value in him, and I am sure so do a few teams looking for decent depth at the deadline. Had we been sellers I am sure we would have gotten good return.

If Shero doesn't sign him next season, there will be some quick suitors.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 am

Nope. And I have to be one of TK's biggest supporters and am constantly defending his value to this team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JaysTelestrator on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
meow wrote:

Still a plugger otherwise. Just sayin, some of us may think TK is just another vanilla guy... but to some team looking for 15 or so goals from their third ling wing, then TK fits the bill. Kid can skate and can sometimes get himself in good spots for a shot.

To each their own but I wouldn't toss TK on the scrap heap of untradeable fodder. I still see good value in him, and I am sure so do a few teams looking for decent depth at the deadline. Had we been sellers I am sure we would have gotten good return.

My thoughts exactly. I just can picture a scenerio of seeing Shero ship TK away for a pick or to move up in a round, with a player(s) in mind via free agency to fill the 3rd line winger role, idealy with size.
JaysTelestrator
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
meow wrote:

I'm not sure you can call one of the best face-off guys in the league a plugger. The importance of puck possession goes up immensely in the play-offs and Gaustad provides it. I'm not doubting the fact that other teams would want/like to have Kennedy. And there is a difference between trading for a guy and signing a guy in the offseason. I'm sure the market to sign TK is much larger than his trade market.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 am

Froggy wrote: Just if shero was happy enough to sign him last year, nothing that he did last year should have really changed that opinion..

that's an important thing to point out in this discussion. it wasn't really the "down year" for TK that most people think it was. shero knew his goals would go down since he wasn't going to get any top PP minutes, and he still gave him 2 mill anyways.

he's a great team guy who gives you the same effort every night, and has given you the same points per game throughout his entire career. it's understandable if the fans don't think that's enough to earn 2 mill, but the GM probably thinks otherwise.

edit...though the one part of his season that would have been a disappointment to management was that he couldn't stay healthy again. this is the only caveat to his value as GMRS sees it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JaysTelestrator on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 am

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote: Just if shero was happy enough to sign him last year, nothing that he did last year should have really changed that opinion..

that's an important thing to point out in this discussion. it wasn't really the "down year" for TK that most people think it was. shero knew his goals would go down since he wasn't going to get any top PP minutes, and he still gave him 2 mill anyways.

he's a great team guy who gives you the same effort every night, and has given you the same points per game throughout his entire career. it's understandable if the fans don't think that's enough to earn 2 mill, but the GM probably thinks otherwise.

For me personally, I remember saying to myself last offseason "I really hope we can sign TK, he's valuable and still on the rise." And my thoughts this offseason are exactly why I made this post. So I believe he did not have the year we all wanted from him. I believe size is more crucial in that role, and something possibly Tangradi can even fill given TK is moved.
JaysTelestrator
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 am

Tangradi is a turd. He is also a turd with trade value. I think he's more likely to be a piece of a trade than Kennedy is
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am

JaysTelestrator wrote:For me personally, I remember saying to myself last offseason "I really hope we can sign TK, he's valuable and still on the rise." And my thoughts this offseason are exactly why I made this post. So I believe he did not have the year we all wanted from him. I believe size is more crucial in that role, and something possibly Tangradi can even fill given TK is moved.

i think he's proven that his size has no impact on his abilities as a 3rd liner. there's about 4 years of evidence working against your theory.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JaysTelestrator on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 am

shmenguin wrote:
JaysTelestrator wrote:For me personally, I remember saying to myself last offseason "I really hope we can sign TK, he's valuable and still on the rise." And my thoughts this offseason are exactly why I made this post. So I believe he did not have the year we all wanted from him. I believe size is more crucial in that role, and something possibly Tangradi can even fill given TK is moved.

i think he's proven that his size has no impact on his abilities as a 3rd liner. there's about 4 years of evidence working against your theory.

To what avail though? Yes we won a cup with him(4 years ago) in that role but obviously something has been lacking the past 3 years. I really believe our third line can serve a better playoff presence and I dont see Kennedy providing it. To each their own though.
JaysTelestrator
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 am

Yeah, TK didn't have the year I was hoping for him. He's still a Penguin.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

meow wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:
meow wrote:

I'm not sure you can call one of the best face-off guys in the league a plugger. The importance of puck possession goes up immensely in the play-offs and Gaustad provides it. I'm not doubting the fact that other teams would want/like to have Kennedy. And there is a difference between trading for a guy and signing a guy in the offseason. I'm sure the market to sign TK is much larger than his trade market.

So would you consider Joe Vitale a plug?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 am

JaysTelestrator wrote:To what avail though? Yes we won a cup with him(4 years ago) in that role but obviously something has been lacking the past 3 years. I really believe our third line can serve a better playoff presence and I dont see Kennedy providing it. To each their own though.

this seems like throwing a dart blindfolded and hitting kennedy.

kennedy and staal tore it up in the playoffs. if you want more out of our 3rd line, i don't know what could possibly do it for you.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 am

shmenguin wrote:

I don't mind TK on the third line, but you could certainly argue that while his lack of size doesn't impact his abilities, it certainly impacts his durability playing a third line role.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

MRandall25 wrote:So would you consider Joe Vitale a plug?

I think calling any NHLer a plug is insulting.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am

meow wrote:

And, he's twice the size of Kennedy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm

meow wrote:

Any human being really. It makes me uncomfortable.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

Any human being really. It makes me uncomfortable.

i think i'm gonna make it my go-to all purpose insult
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins