Staal Trade Analysis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Staal Trade Analysis

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Can someone that knows something about the guys we got back provide some analysis as to if this was a good trade. Probably worth its own thread.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Staal Trade Analysis

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Brandon Sutter - We have all seen him, we know what we are getting here.

Bryan Dumoulin - Might be the best defender in college hockey. He is 6'3 with great skating and lots of offensive upside. This is a good pick up for the pens and will just add depth to our already deep defensive core and minor league system.

Im not sure about Poulliot.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Dumoulin is from Maine, so you know he's good.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SCrosby87 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Guys -- Is this a good tradE?
SCrosby87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Remember Staal played vs 2nd/3rd line defensive pairings when other teams focused on Crosby/Malkin. I'm not so sure yet Jordan is going to Carolina and going to put up 80+ points like nothing.

Staal put Shero in this spot. LIMITED OPTIONS. I'm surprised Carolina DID US A FAVOR by still doing this deal. I still can't believe we have the 22nd overall pick as well.

Sutter, long term 3rd line C. Another big body guy.
Dumoulin - don't know anything about him but hes 6'3", bigger body defenseman. College? Maybe he can step in sooner...
Poulliot - ...thought it was Forsberg for sure.

Just remember... Shero took Ryan Whitney and got us Kunitz/Tangradi (won cup next year Kunitz was huge)
Shero took Goligoski who in my opinion doesn't know defense, too weak still, for 80 point player in Neal and Niskanen a more overall game.

HE WILL GET ASSETS FROM THIS DEAL WHERE WE NEED THEM. BELIEVE IN SHERO. HE WON'T TAKE ANY JUNK FROM PLAYERS. HE PULLED THE TRIG. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Love Jordan but I feel like that was an immature move. Too much talking with family in offseason, new wife probably wanted to live in Carolina, things could be as simple as that.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:49 pm

SCrosby87 wrote:Guys -- Is this a good tradE?

Traade... :scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pittsports87 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Shero turned a #2 overall pick into a #8, #11, and #45.

I really like Sutter, can't wait to see him play for the Pens. Right handed center, wins 50% of his draws, has a lot of potential that he can definitely reach here. Very solid defensively, will lead the PK for years to come.

Not sure about the two defensmen but they are both very young and we are stacked with defensive prospects now.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joe on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone in this thread. I feel 100% better after reading all the posts here. Shero does his homework. He is not done yet. Thanks again
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:17 pm

It's a very good trade. Especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding it.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby burton87 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Jordan Staal turned down a 10 year 60 MILLION dollar contract to NOT be a Pittsburgh Penguin.

Why keep a player on the team if he doesn't want to be part of it.

Good trade-- dump that mindset now and why not get younger

Although thanks for this Jordan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL3ejFPofPM
burton87

Postby Pen48guins on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 pm

joe wrote:Thanks everyone in this thread. I feel 100% better after reading all the posts here. Shero does his homework. He is not done yet. Thanks again

Feel better after reading this too.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Bioshock wrote:It's a very good trade. Especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding it.

This. Hard to trade a guy for full value if he wants to go. Great return.

The key is the prospects clearly, it's a step back for us at 3rd line ctr. I like Sutter but it's what we do with the cap space and if we get some long term play from the youngster dmen that will make me happy or sad.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Rutherford couldn't rip off Shero and retain his integrity, so I suspect that he overpaid relative to the market (given the circumstances).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Shero isn't done yet in my opinion...i have a big feeling Pouliot or Maatta will be gone before July 1st for something.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Nizzy wrote:Shero isn't done yet in my opinion...i have a big feeling Pouliot or Maatta will be gone before July 1st for something.

You could be right. The Pens not only have A TON of defensemen to trade but also, THESE ARE STUD DEFENSEMEN.

Shero.. you evil Genius...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 pm

When I'm not watching the Pens, I'm watching the Preds or Carolina usually. Sutter is a talented 3rd line center right now with some upside to his game. Very good for a 3rd line guy already and has some skill that would make him a valuable fill-in if/when Sid/Malkin are out of the line up.

Don't know if I think ths is the best move on Shero's watch as Staal is a more proven commodity than anyone else in the trade and also has some upside still himself. Sounds like Staal/agent basically told Shero there was no way in hell he'd stay in Pittsburgh and would prefer to not even stay another season as #3 center. While it was pure fantasy to expect a Skinner or Faulk in return along with the #8 pick in the draft, I think the Pens may have got the lesser end of this deal.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 pm

shouldn't you not be posting anymore? :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby malkinshair on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 pm

brwi wrote:When I'm not watching the Pens, I'm watching the Preds or Carolina usually. Sutter is a talented 3rd line center right now with some upside to his game. Very good for a 3rd line guy already and has some skill that would make him a valuable fill-in if/when Sid/Malkin are out of the line up.

Don't know if I think ths is the best move on Shero's watch as Staal is a more proven commodity than anyone else in the trade and also has some upside still himself. Sounds like Staal/agent basically told Shero there was no way in hell he'd stay in Pittsburgh and would prefer to not even stay another season as #3 center. While it was pure fantasy to expect a Skinner or Faulk in return along with the #8 pick in the draft, I think the Pens may have got the lesser end of this deal.

Not if you consider the fact that the 'leak' yesterday completely undermined the leverage Shero had to play with. Stating, even indirectly, that Staal wanted to end up a 'Cane lowered the asking price for every team...including Carolina's. If no other team knew of Staal's supposed wishes, Shero could've played the field for the best possible offer. With 28 teams knowing that they were trading for a 1 year rental, well........

I'm looking at the trade as what we got with this trade vs. what we could have lost without receiving anything back.

Shero did an amazing job, IMO. You could tell by his demeanor at the podium, and in the interview after the pick, that this was an emotional and difficult decision.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Carolina will benefit more than we will, because Jordan will probably sign a long term deal there with a hometown discount. That doesn't mean we lost. We got a good return for an asset that would be worth nothing in a year, and the downside for the 2012-13 season is relatively small.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Carolina easily got the best player in the deal in Staal, but Pittsburgh made out well. Sutter is more of a typical 3rd line center. He is good defensively, good on draws, kills penalties, and still has some offensive upside. He is a better fit for 3rd line center duty than Staal. He is the same age as Staal. He is cheaper than Staal. He gives us more cap flexibility for other moves.

Domoulin is being raved about on NHL Network as a possible steal in the trade, and we got a #8 overall pick. I see a lot of people complaining we took Pouliot too high, but I would say Pittsburgh probably has a better gauge on him than others after scouting Joe Morrow.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Carolina easily got the best player in the deal in Staal, but Pittsburgh made out well. Sutter is more of a typical 3rd line center. He is good defensively, good on draws, kills penalties, and still has some offensive upside. He is a better fit for 3rd line center duty than Staal. He is the same age as Staal. He is cheaper than Staal. He gives us more cap flexibility for other moves.

Domoulin is being raved about on NHL Network as a possible steal in the trade, and we got a #8 overall pick. I see a lot of people complaining we took Pouliot too high, but I would say Pittsburgh probably has a better gauge on him than others after scouting Joe Morrow.

Carolina has some solid D prospects. I knew nothing about them before this week (Murphy, Faulk, and now Domoulin). Maybe Rutherford used the Shero philosophy of drafting too?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 pm

I also left out that, it was mentioned on NHL Network that when Rutherford initially wouldn't include Sutter, Shero picked up the phone and called the Rangers. The downside of having too many brothers out there, Jordan. :) Smart, smart man GMRS.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:39 pm

No way you trade Staal to the Rangers.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:41 pm

count2infinity wrote:

shouldn't you not be posting anymore? :lol:

he's got (season tickets club -- where you at?)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 pm

I have a question:

Where is Jamine and her "You people are idiots of you think Staal will get traded before Malkin?"
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins