Staal Trade Analysis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal Trade Analysis

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:33 am

Avyran wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I assumed when PIT made big moves to clear cap space, it was for a run at UFA Parise but it seems UFA Suter is more likely primary target.

Quoting from his twitter.

--- Edit: He just added this.
Contrary to rumors, tho, PIT management told me there are no plans to deal for Suter/Parise rights pre-July 1. Will take chances July 1.

It was also reported by the media that the Penguins stated they will not trade Staal at the draft. Who really knows what changes from minute to minute?

There are so many factors that will affect the Penguins direction:

1. Martin. This could drastically change who the Penguins approach. This alone changes so many factors. If Martin is traded:
-Who do they get for him? A dman? A top-six winger? A third line winger? Salary dump?
Depending on who they'd get for him if he's traded will determine so much. If they grab a guy like Bobby Ryan, they obviously don't go for Parise.

2. What if they discover they have no shot at Suter? Maybe they pull the trigger and make a strong play for Parise. Maybe they go for someone like Matt Carle instead.

3. There's been rumors the Pens are talking to SJ about Boyle. What could it take to get him? Would they do a Martin/Boyle swap?

I think whatever you hear from the Media will change from moment to moment and that this process is going to be drawn out and long. When major media outlets report on stuff like that, it definitely has legs but it's still important to remember that nothing is set in stone and to also realize what GMs will say is not always what they do.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 am

Does anyone else find this Sutter situation a bit strange? Since the trade went down, he has been described as "bummed" "stunned" "shocked" "upset" .... he hasn't spoken with the Carolina media or the Pittsburgh media yet.... what's goin on? Maybe he don't want to play for the Penguins.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:11 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Does anyone else find this Sutter situation a bit strange? Since the trade went down, he has been described as "bummed" "stunned" "shocked" "upset" .... he hasn't spoken with the Carolina media or the Pittsburgh media yet.... what's goin on? Maybe he don't want to play for the Penguins.

First I'd heard of it, but I wouldn't worry. He's young, this is the first time he has been traded, and what I'd read into the quotes is that he was committed to that team. His father and uncles will talk some sense into him and he'll come around, especially when he realizes he won't have to listen to that siren 40-plus times a year.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Does anyone else find this Sutter situation a bit strange? Since the trade went down, he has been described as "bummed" "stunned" "shocked" "upset" .... he hasn't spoken with the Carolina media or the Pittsburgh media yet.... what's goin on? Maybe he don't want to play for the Penguins.

...lol?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 am

Idea:

Pens trade for Rick Nash.

Rick Nash goes to Carolina to tell Sutter everything will be ok and convince him Pittsburgh really isn't such a terrible place and there is a bright future. It's probably way easier to tell the truth than when he had to tell Carter, without flinching, that Columbus was a great place to play and he could help get them to the promise land. (I guess it kind of did help him get there in the end...)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:16 am

Suttergate
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this development.
Has anyone ever seen his father or uncle utter more than 3 syllables to the press? :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:50 pm

I just realized that I'll no longer get to post, "Have another beer, Jordan" after Staal flubs a goal-scoring chance from 5 feet away or has a massive brain fart. This saddens me.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Rocco wrote:I just realized that I'll no longer get to post, "Have another beer, Jordan" after Staal flubs a goal-scoring chance from 5 feet away or has a massive brain fart. This saddens me.

You'll still be able to, but only 4 times a year and it in a celebratory manner, too.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:11 pm

The guy didn't want to be a 3rd line center the rest of his career. Who can blame him? His turning down the extension was his way of saying he'd like to move on without publicly saying so. Good luck Gronk.

Sutter fills the 3rd line center role to a T. You get 2 big time D prospects as well. One of which may only be a year away (Dumoulin). Win/win for both clubs.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Sutter now not speaking to reporters until tomorrow afternoon
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm

joker10277 wrote:

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Sutter now not speaking to reporters until tomorrow afternoon

I don't remember ever seeing this before. A guy gets traded in a blockbuster deal and refuses to talk to any media for 3 days. I mean Jordan is on his damn honeymoon and he still calls in...
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 pm

oh boy... now people are going to get mad at Sutter before he even steps foot on the ice. :pop:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

bhaw wrote:oh boy... now people are going to get mad at Sutter before he even steps foot on the ice. :pop:

Ha. Regardless of how you feel about him, it is a little weird. Hopefully he gets over it soon and that feeling of betrayel morphs into a feeling of "i'll show them what they missed out on"
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Maybe he's a Nickleback fan and is unhappy with how often they are bashed on this board. Sutter will speak to the media when Froggy cancels his account on LGP.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:29 pm

bhaw wrote:Maybe he's a Nickleback fan and is unhappy with how often they are bashed on this board. Sutter will speak to the media when Froggy cancels his account on LGP.

what in the hell do i have to do with that? lol
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Lol...maybe he's on a fishing trip in Northern Canada or something and doesn't exactly have access to the media or something....holy jump to conclusions!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Pitts wrote:Lol...maybe he's on a fishing trip in Northern Canada or something and doesn't exactly have access to the media or something....holy jump to conclusions!

well it isnt really jumping to conclusions. It has been reported that Sutter is taking it pretty hard.

"“He’s a little bummed,” Staal said. “We’ve had a lot of conversations and I’m very close with Brandon. I told him yesterday he was like my brother without my blood. We’ll really miss him.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/24/2155679/friday-unforgettable-for-staals.html
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Maybe he's just a good team guy, liked it in Carolina, and will miss his teammates. What's wrong with that?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Gaucho wrote:Maybe he's just a good team guy, liked it in Carolina, and will miss his teammates. What's wrong with that?

nothing.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Brandon Sutter doesn't know what a pierogi is. Run him aht of tahn.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Froggy wrote:
bhaw wrote:Maybe he's a Nickleback fan and is unhappy with how often they are bashed on this board. Sutter will speak to the media when Froggy cancels his account on LGP.

what in the hell do i have to do with that? lol

Don't shoot the messenger.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 pm

It's obvious Sutter just wants to help Stanford win a national title.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Gaucho wrote:Maybe he's just a good team guy, liked it in Carolina, and will miss his teammates. What's wrong with that?

:thumb: Believe it or not, plenty of people enjoy living in Carolina and willingly even relocate there. It's not like Edmonton :D

I'm sure Sutter will adjust and be fine going forward after the initial shock wears off. What may surprise people who are calling him the "ideal 3rd line center" is that his pedigree and game shows that he could be a 2nd line center in the NHL and that he may not be a Penguin for years and years either as he'll run into the same logjam at center as Staal did.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:20 pm

I have to admit, i was all down on Shero thinking we lost Jordan for nothing. That he wouldn't get a good return for Jordan knowing that the whole league knew he wanted to go to Carolina. Concidering what he had to work with he did well for the Pens. In Shero we Trust.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins