The draft

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The draft

Postby joker10277 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 pm

columbia wrote:Columbus fired 4 scouts after the draft:
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/p ... franchise/

Looks like CP woke up!!!!!!!! :D
Greg malone will have a new job soon...........
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:18 pm

joker10277 wrote:
columbia wrote:Columbus fired 4 scouts after the draft:
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/p ... franchise/

Looks like CP woke up!!!!!!!! :D
Greg malone will have a new job soon...........

Hopefully with the pens. Then maybe we will have an offensive prospect or two.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:46 pm

I just have a bad feeling why Shero didn't draft Forsberg.

That feeling of like 15 years down the road about why he drafted another Letang and we will be watching Forsberg net 30 a year beside Backstrom.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:47 pm

That would be sweet if he drafted a #1 d-man instead of a 30-goal scorer. I'd love that! #1 d-men are way more scarce than 30-goal scorers...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mjg on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Nizzy wrote:I just have a bad feeling why Shero didn't draft Forsberg.

That feeling of like 15 years down the road about why he drafted another Letang and we will be watching Forsberg net 30 a year beside Backstrom.

I'd be devastated to have another Norris Trophy candidate instead of a 30 goal scorer.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Me too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:17 pm

There are 30 #1 D-men in the league (probably half that actually). Are there that many 30 goal scorers? Just sayin'.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 pm

We could trade Letang for a 30 goal scorer, plus, no?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:There are 30 #1 D-men in the league (probably half that actually). Are there that many 30 goal scorers? Just sayin'.

Umm... yes there were exactly 30, 30 goal scorers in the nhl last year... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:There are 30 #1 D-men in the league (probably half that actually). Are there that many 30 goal scorers? Just sayin'.

Technically, but not actually. As you parenthetically noted.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 am

Just looked at the Pens' center prospects... depressing. Actually, outside of defence it's pretty poor.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/pittsburgh_penguins/
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 am

tfrizz wrote:Just looked at the Pens' center prospects... depressing. Actually, outside of defence it's pretty poor.

Strange rating on a fiew of them, Morrow a "C" while Sneep, Bortusso and Strait is a "B"? OK for Strait and Bortuzzo maybe, but having Sneep higher is strange to me.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am

pekkasteele wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Just looked at the Pens' center prospects... depressing. Actually, outside of defence it's pretty poor.

Strange rating on a fiew of them, Morrow a "C" while Sneep, Bortusso and Strait is a "B"? OK for Strait and Bortuzzo maybe, but having Sneep higher is strange to me.

The number is based on skill/abilities...the letter is the liklihood of them reaching that ceiling. If Morrow continues as he has...he'll be ahead of those other 3.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 am

So, the Marcantouni and Zlobin picks interest me a lot. Both are hit or miss prospects, but man that payoff could be nice.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 am

On one hand, it looks bad having no center prospects, but on the other hand, do we really need center prospects?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:44 pm

:lol: Booger and Sunkist already jumped to the top of that list and they havent even played a game as our property yet.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 am

Froggy wrote:On one hand, it looks bad having no center prospects, but on the other hand, do we really need center prospects?

I'd feel a little more comfortable with like... one center prospect. At least in case of more injuries or even an UFA departure.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

Corvidae wrote:
Froggy wrote:On one hand, it looks bad having no center prospects, but on the other hand, do we really need center prospects?

I'd feel a little more comfortable with like... one center prospect. At least in case of more injuries or even an UFA departure.

Is it really worth using a high pick for a hypothetical situation? And if it's not a high pick, do you think it's likely to be a decent fill in for Malkin or Crosby anyway?

I think the more likely scenario if there is an injury, or something is that everyone steps up one spot, and if we need a fill in, it's either going to be a call up, or dime a dozen fa signed for the 3rd or 4th line.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am

Froggy wrote:Is it really worth using a high pick for a hypothetical situation? And if it's not a high pick, do you think it's likely to be a decent fill in for Malkin or Crosby anyway?

I think the more likely scenario if there is an injury, or something is that everyone steps up one spot, and if we need a fill in, it's either going to be a call up, or dime a dozen fa signed for the 3rd or 4th line.

Offensive prospects are more interesting and Shero should draft in accordance with my comfort levels.

But seriously, I agree that it wasn't something that needed to be addressed early in the draft. It's more a result of low priority over the last several years to the position, but reasonably so. The problem is that if you need to bump your 3 or 4th line center up, you don't have much to replace them with. That's not very high on the list of things to worry about, but it would be nice if they had someone of even Jeffery's potential in the pool (I'm assuming he will be on the roster or gone next year). It's so bad that they would have to acquire someone via sign/trade/wavier for even the 4th spot unless they moved a winger over (which isn't terrible but far from ideal).

In conclusion, Shero should have drafted RW Philip Forsberg. Troll Face
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm

At above: You add to your prospect pool as it makes sense. It makes sense to be deep in every position at all times, ideally. Sometimes you get an opportunity to really stack a position in your system (such a D-heavy draft, like 2012 was) and you don't pass up on that because it doesn't make sense. Depth transcends the position that its in. Having 6 potential top-4 d-men is better than having 4 potential top-4 d-men and two longshot forwards. Odds are, you're gonna get a few d-men that pan out there and having an extra one or two to trade without doing damage to your organization is where you pick up forwards that are further along in their development and more of a sure thing than drafting Forsberg - who has a very good chance of not being that good. The other way just doesn't make sense. Drafting a forward to put in it in the pile with the other forwards that are three or more years away because you need more forwards that are three or more years away just say that you did it, doesn't help your organization if you're leaving better talent on the table...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:45 pm

mikey287 wrote:At above: You add to your prospect pool as it makes sense. It makes sense to be deep in every position at all times, ideally. Sometimes you get an opportunity to really stack a position in your system (such a D-heavy draft, like 2012 was) and you don't pass up on that because it doesn't make sense. Depth transcends the position that its in. Having 6 potential top-4 d-men is better than having 4 potential top-4 d-men and two longshot forwards. Odds are, you're gonna get a few d-men that pan out there and having an extra one or two to trade without doing damage to your organization is where you pick up forwards that are further along in their development and more of a sure thing than drafting Forsberg - who has a very good chance of not being that good. The other way just doesn't make sense. Drafting a forward to put in it in the pile with the other forwards that are three or more years away because you need more forwards that are three or more years away just say that you did it, doesn't help your organization if you're leaving better talent on the table...

I guess the problem here is that that Forsberg was BY FAR the consensus for being the better talent. He was the #1 European ranked skater at both the midterm and final rankings. Pouliot was the #12 ranked NA skater and actually fell from #10 in the midterm. It doesn't seem like they picked the player who was rated the highest, but rather the (type of) player that they prefer. Heck, they likely could have traded down and still got him.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:52 pm

If "Troll Face" isn't enough to note sarcasm, along with suggesting a RW at the end of a discussion about centers... I just... I just don't even know.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Even though it's en vogue to create a new thread any time anyone has thought it seems...I'll just use this one here, mainly because it's only of interest to me and a select few others (tfrizz? *shrug*)

The CHL Import draft is giong on, for those that follow junior hockey...

The timbits version: 2-round draft for all CHL teams to import players from European leagues to come over. Teams may not have more than 2 foreign players on their roster at any time. For instance: London will have Olli Maatta still next season, so London may draft only 1 foreign player...they may opt to trade the second pick or simply pass...just as a hypothetical situation...I'm trying to think of who London's other import was this year...I think it was Vladislav Namestnikov who will turn pro this year and not be back, so they likely have a slot anyway...

Well, technically, since Maatta was a first round pick, London, in this instance, would be allowed to draft two imports but still have to get down to 2 before the season...

Anyway...

Pittsburgh related: Teodors Blugers (aka Teddy Blueger) our 2nd round pick (52nd overall) from Shattuck St. Mary's is Latvian and was selected in the first round (48th overall) by Oshawa (OHL). Though he has said he will go to Minnesota State-Mankato this fall. I'll try to find out if his selection in the import draft will have any effect on his plans. If the Penguins feel its a better route for him (and Blugers agrees) we can sign him to his entry-level contract and void his NCAA eligibilty and assign him to Oshawa. But I would guess he's likely off to college.

Other notables so far:
1st overall: Ivan Barbashev (Moncton) - late '95er.
3rd: Oscar Dansk (Erie) - Drafted by Columbus 31st overall, looks set upon leaving Brynas (SEL)
5th: Joonas Korpisalo (Prince George) - Drafted by Columbus 62nd overall, looks set upon leaving Jokerit U20 (SM-Liiga Jr. A)
21st: Ludvig Byström (Plymouth) - Drafted by Dallas 43rd overall - not sure if he's coming over. Dallas would probably try to make it happen if he was selected by a WHL team, but otherwise, I think he'll remain with MODO
22nd: Dmitri Jaskin (Moncton) - Blues pick (41st) in 2011 from Czech, will come over because he can get major minutes in Moncton as oppose to fourth line for Slavia Praha.
43rd: Nikita Kucherov (Quebec) - Tampa Bay 2nd rounder from 2011...I didn't think he wanted to come over...might though, if Mikhail Grigorenko is sent back. Also, Quebec is a team that will bribe players to come over, so there's that. EDIT: Apparently is coming over.
58th Nikolai Prokhorkin (London) - Kings 4th rounder - Doubt he comes over, but London is another team with money...

--- End of round 1 ---

69th: Andrei Vasilevski (Mississauga) - First round pick of Tampa. I wonder if he'll come over now after all. I would think if he had intention of doing so he would have gone earlier with Dansk and Korpisalo. Earlier reports suggested that he wants to play major junior hockey, but based on his draft position, I'm not so sure. Could be banking on Tampa signing him right away.
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Corvidae wrote:If "Troll Face" isn't enough to note sarcasm, along with suggesting a RW at the end of a discussion about centers... I just... I just don't even know.

If you're referring to my post, it wasn't directed at you. At above meant at the above discussion in general, sorry for not making that clear.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:00 pm

steelhammer wrote:
mikey287 wrote:At above: You add to your prospect pool as it makes sense. It makes sense to be deep in every position at all times, ideally. Sometimes you get an opportunity to really stack a position in your system (such a D-heavy draft, like 2012 was) and you don't pass up on that because it doesn't make sense. Depth transcends the position that its in. Having 6 potential top-4 d-men is better than having 4 potential top-4 d-men and two longshot forwards. Odds are, you're gonna get a few d-men that pan out there and having an extra one or two to trade without doing damage to your organization is where you pick up forwards that are further along in their development and more of a sure thing than drafting Forsberg - who has a very good chance of not being that good. The other way just doesn't make sense. Drafting a forward to put in it in the pile with the other forwards that are three or more years away because you need more forwards that are three or more years away just say that you did it, doesn't help your organization if you're leaving better talent on the table...

I guess the problem here is that that Forsberg was BY FAR the consensus for being the better talent. He was the #1 European ranked skater at both the midterm and final rankings. Pouliot was the #12 ranked NA skater and actually fell from #10 in the midterm. It doesn't seem like they picked the player who was rated the highest, but rather the (type of) player that they prefer. Heck, they likely could have traded down and still got him.

According to whom?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins