P-A Parenteau more likely than Parise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

P-A Parenteau more likely than Parise

Postby Bunkerman535 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Rumors starting to circulate in New York that the Penguins are a top suitor for Parenteau. Parenteau can be signed for much less money and is a heck of a player. Parise may be a pipe dream.
Bunkerman535

Re: P-A Parenteau more likely than Parise

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Steigy will like that, so that's some consolation.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Ugh...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:38 pm

I think that would be a great signing. 67 points last year, 53 the year before with 20 goals. Putting up points like that on the Island isn't exactly easy. He's a big strong rugged right wing. I said this earlier, the Penguins don't NEED Parise. Getting Parise would be amazing, obviously, but a guy like Parenteau is a perfect fit on our top-six and will cost half of Parise what will.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Big and rugged? Are you sure you're talking about PA Parenteau?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

PA + Suter ..... Yes
PA + scrub UFA defenseman.... No

It would be a pipe dream to get both Suter and Parise, just not going to happen.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Gaucho wrote:Big and rugged? Are you sure you're talking about PA Parenteau?

6ft tall, almost 200lbs, that's pretty big. He could fill out a little more, sure, he plays a very fluid quick game, but also mucks and grinds.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:PA + Suter ..... Yes

It would be a pipe dream to get both Suter and Parise, just not going to happen.

Why would we be getting a scrub defenseman? The Pens have $14M free space. If anything, grabbing PA only make the Penguins chances of going after Suter more likely. At the very least, there are still some quality dmen available this year.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:PA + Suter ..... Yes

That is Shero's plan...Suter and Parise. He'll do his best to make that work (moving Martin for extra cap space etc.)....What plan B is remains to be seen. PA scored 18 goals last year in 80 games...Certainly not the winger for Sid....

I'm not excited about PA coming to the Pens...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I can feel Mikey's seething rage already
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:53 pm

I can't see Ray wanting this guy
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

6ft tall, almost 200lbs, that's pretty big. He could fill out a little more, sure, he plays a very fluid quick game, but also mucks and grinds.

I've never been impressed with him. I don't think he's top 6 material on a serious team, but I could be wrong.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm

If given the option after these past playoffs, I'd rather have Suter over Parise. Shero can still "take care of our captain" without spending $7+ million on the best available forward. Both would be amazing, but getting Suter and someone like Parenteau is more realistic.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

I've never been impressed with him. I don't think he's top 6 material on a serious team, but I could be wrong.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. From my perspective, if you can put up those kind of numbers playing for the Isles, it speaks pretty highly of your ability. I know he plays along Tavares and I know that makes a difference, but that only shows he's able to play with elite players.

I happen to think he'd be very good with Sid. I mean hey, who wouldn't rather have Parise, but at the end of the day our ability to score isn't the issue...it's defense. If signing PA means Shero makes a major push for Suter then by all means, you do it.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:03 pm

I guess before we really get into this discussion...

source? lol
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RPKJr429 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 pm

"My boy, P.A. Parenteau!" - Paul Steigerwald, During a random play in a random Pens-Isles game.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:10 pm

You realize he,s almost 30? Not top 6 material, only 1 20 goal season playing with Tavares. And he won't be feeling out.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I don't sense much backbone behind this rumor. No to Parenteau!
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:I can feel Mikey's seething rage already

And here it comes...

See this is the thing here...

Where is this info coming from? Pierre-Alexandre is under contract to the New York Islanders. So, we aren't just talking to him...that's tampering. So it's not that. We didn't get his rights, so it's not that. I mean, there's no link, there's no source, there's nothing...just a guess. It sounds like some clown drew a forgettable name out of his forgettable hat and said, "durrr...looks like he would be good on the Penguins because they perpetually need wingerz for teh Sid...." ...do we even need to source things anymore? If not, I got about 250,000 threads coming right up...

Secondly, here's the tell, right here...this is it... "He's a big strong rugged right wing" ...red...bold...all of it...

This how you can tell that people just don't know...this is why I can't be a mod, for instance. It's very clear, this is a guy that has played hundreds of AHL games (and hundreds to follow) and has spent a couple seasons in our division (not Vancouver or a place where he can go, "eh, alright he never saw him, they never saw him...")...and not once, not a single time, has anyone seen him play and comes away with "big" or "rugged" or "strong" or even "he"...all very, very debatable.

He played with a superstar in John Tavares for 90% of the year (the 10% was the games where Okposo turned his life around when playing with him)...it was Moulson-Tavares-PAP smear...you know, Moulson, the guy that "was only given an opportunity on such a horrid team, and that's why he's producing"...anyway...Parenteau's numbers probably look pretty good (much like Andy Hilbert's did), my numbers would look decent too with Tavares. The guy is a AAAA player...too good for the minors, not good enough for the pros...he's slow, he's weak, he's weak on his skates, he's not physical (even in the Isles arena, where they hand out "hits" when you slide down next to someone on the bench after a line change, he probably didn't even register that many), he's an incredibly slow decision maker, he's just a half-step behind everything all the time. On odd-man rushes, he just holds it into oblivion, he isolates himself from the rest of humanity when he gets the puck...it's only because of the magic of Tavares that this guy wasn't waived on October 9th. Except when the game slows down (power play) then he looks like he can distribute a little bit...otherwise, he really slowed down Tavares AND Moulson, yes, and Moulson, from having an even better year...if that was a player with upside and an NHL caliber head and feet and body, the Isles would have been way better off...and don't even think that he can play defense, oh God, what a trainwreck...some guys you talk about not even knowing his goalie's name during a game...this guy doesn't know the defense pairing he's out with...

The guy couldn't crack the Rangers who severely lacked offense, the guy hangs on with the Isles because Nino Niederreiter is playing 41 seconds a night (sweet job treating your first rounder like that, by the way)...and yet we want him...we got him already, you guys called him Jason Williams, but he was P.A. Parenteau too...they're the same guy...

But let me guess...he's a 30-year old fringe NHLer, so the "sky is the limit" for him...

Look, no disrespect, really and I really mean that, I don't want to attack anyone here (except pap smear here...what a joke) but this is just ridiculous...just total oblivion here...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I can feel Mikey's seething rage already

And here it comes...

See this is the thing here...

Where is this info coming from? Pierre-Alexandre is under contract to the New York Islanders. So, we aren't just talking to him...that's tampering. So it's not that. We didn't get his rights, so it's not that. I mean, there's no link, there's no source, there's nothing...just a guess. It sounds like some clown drew a forgettable name out of his forgettable hat and said, "durrr...looks like he would be good on the Penguins because they perpetually need wingerz for teh Sid...." ...do we even need to source things anymore? If not, I got about 250,000 threads coming right up...

Secondly, here's the tell, right here...this is it... "He's a big strong rugged right wing" ...red...bold...all of it...

This how you can tell that people just don't know...this is why I can't be a mod, for instance. It's very clear, this is a guy that has played hundreds of AHL games (and hundreds to follow) and has spent a couple seasons in our division (not Vancouver or a place where he can go, "eh, alright he never saw him, they never saw him...")...and not once, not a single time, has anyone seen him play and comes away with "big" or "rugged" or "strong" or even "he"...all very, very debatable.

He played with a superstar in John Tavares for 90% of the year (the 10% was the games where Okposo turned his life around when playing with him)...it was Moulson-Tavares-PAP smear...you know, Moulson, the guy that "was only given an opportunity on such a horrid team, and that's why he's producing"...anyway...Parenteau's numbers probably look pretty good (much like Andy Hilbert's did), my numbers would look decent too with Tavares. The guy is a AAAA player...too good for the minors, not good enough for the pros...he's slow, he's weak, he's weak on his skates, he's not physical (even in the Isles arena, where they hand out "hits" when you slide down next to someone on the bench after a line change, he probably didn't even register that many), he's an incredibly slow decision maker, he's just a half-step behind everything all the time. On odd-man rushes, he just holds it into oblivion, he isolates himself from the rest of humanity when he gets the puck...it's only because of the magic of Tavares that this guy wasn't waived on October 9th. Except when the game slows down (power play) then he looks like he can distribute a little bit...otherwise, he really slowed down Tavares AND Moulson, yes, and Moulson, from having an even better year...if that was a player with upside and an NHL caliber head and feet and body, the Isles would have been way better off...and don't even think that he can play defense, oh God, what a trainwreck...some guys you talk about not even knowing his goalie's name during a game...this guy doesn't know the defense pairing he's out with...

The guy couldn't crack the Rangers who severely lacked offense, the guy hangs on with the Isles because Nino Niederreiter is playing 41 seconds a night (sweet job treating your first rounder like that, by the way)...and yet we want him...we got him already, you guys called him Jason Williams, but he was P.A. Parenteau too...they're the same guy...

But let me guess...he's a 30-year old fringe NHLer, so the "sky is the limit" for him...

Look, no disrespect, really and I really mean that, I don't want to attack anyone here (except pap smear here...what a joke) but this is just ridiculous...just total oblivion here...

Sorry, you're wrong :) Have a nice day!
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm really torn here. On the one hand, I don't want mikey to be pissed or angry or seething with rage. But on the other hand, it makes for great entertainment. So keep em coming, folks. :lol:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Gaucho wrote:I'm really torn here. On the one hand, I don't want mikey to be pissed or angry or seething with rage. But on the other hand, it makes for great entertainment. So keep em coming, folks. :lol:

:lol: I mean, really, it's just unbelieveable. The thing that I don't get...and I've always wondered is: why? Like, why would you spread misinformation to your fellow fans? Like, what does that accomplish? If you don't know, you don't know...you say, "maybe he's a good fit, what makes him a good fit?" ya know? you figure it out...but to just out-right lie, under no provocation, is just so strange...you either know, or you don't know...there's no reason to just spout out nonsense because you wish it was true...I mean, you're trying to solve a mystery here and you don't have a clue...you can't just guess and arrest the first person you see...get a clue...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Get a clue. LGC = Let's Get Clues
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 pm

We already have Tyler Kennedy. Don't think we need another Tyler Kennedy. Would be confusing.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm

I actually like PA. But not near enough to say we should not get parise and get him instead.

Hopefully the pens do the following IN ORDER:
1. trade Martin before July 1st
2. sign (attempt to sign) parise on July 1st
3. sign (attempt to sign) suter on July 1st
4. announce Sid's new contract.
5. sign PA Parenteau, Niski, Samuelsson (florida)

You would then have:
Letang / Suter
Niski / Orpik
Despres / Engel
Lovejoy, strait, burt

Dupuis / Sid / Parise
Neal / Malkin / Kunitz
Parenteau / Sutter / Samuelsson
Cooke / Adams / Kennedy
Jefferey

MY MAIN FEAR:
Would be that Shero somehow gets too involved in Suter on July 1st, and we somehow miss out on Parise. Suter is a crap shoot. We could be the highest bidder and still only have a 10% chance he signs with us... especially in light of all the rumors we are hearing about him only wanting to sign out west. Shero has made the mistake before where he thinks he has an inside track on a former predator only to find out he really had nothing at all. Hamhuis.

Parise should be our main goal.

Lastly, if Shero did as was suggested above and got PA Parenteau instead of Parise, i would not be surprised if the so called discount Sid was open to giving the penguins suddently dissapeared.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins