Parise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Parise

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am

Since we have no real information on it, it's a better bet that neither will sign with the Pens, than both of them doing so.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09 am

columbia wrote:Since we have no real information on it, it's a better bet that neither will sign with the Pens, than both of them doing so.

That's what they call a safe bet.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am

sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:Parise and Suter are exclusive of each other. The cap space is there to sign both regardless of Martin. They won't miss out on signing one of them by waiting for the other to agree to a deal.

With the cap set at $70,300,000...and with teams able to spend a certain amount over during the Summer...there is plenty to sign both. The key here is, 'do either of them want to play in Pittsburgh'?

And this is what the average random fan does get. I can't stand it when people post these quick roster line ups that include Ryan, Suter, Parise and all our current players like we didn't have to give up any assets for them or anything. "Just pick up Suter for 6.0m". Sorry, there's going to be a big bidding war. It might get up to mid 7.5M a year for him.

I don't think they want to come to Pittsburgh. When your Parise, you only give up being the Captain of your current team which is a stanley cup contender for things like a chance to play in hometown (pittsburgh isnt), more money (about 20 other teams can/could offer him 7M), chance to play with great friends (Suter).

Why pick Pittsburgh over Minnesota? Hometown, arena is new as well.

Its just not happening. I think more realistic options are a mid-level winger like a Setoguchi in a packaged trade for maybe around Maatta. They have a few fins up in Minnesota. However this just me rambling, just think something like that is more logical than Suter/Parise.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

Nizzy wrote:
sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:Parise and Suter are exclusive of each other. The cap space is there to sign both regardless of Martin. They won't miss out on signing one of them by waiting for the other to agree to a deal.

With the cap set at $70,300,000...and with teams able to spend a certain amount over during the Summer...there is plenty to sign both. The key here is, 'do either of them want to play in Pittsburgh'?

And this is what the average random fan does get. I can't stand it when people post these quick roster line ups that include Ryan, Suter, Parise and all our current players like we didn't have to give up any assets for them or anything. "Just pick up Suter for 6.0m". Sorry, there's going to be a big bidding war. It might get up to mid 7.5M a year for him.

I don't think they want to come to Pittsburgh. When your Parise, you only give up being the Captain of your current team which is a stanley cup contender for things like a chance to play in hometown (pittsburgh isnt), more money (about 20 other teams can/could offer him 7M), chance to play with great friends (Suter).

Its just not happening. I think more realistic options are a mid-level winger like a Setoguchi in a packaged trade for maybe around Maatta. They have a few fins up in Minnesota. However this just me rambling, just think something like that is more logical than Suter/Parise.

Just because you don't have a C on your chest doesn't mean you can't be a leader in the looker room. Plus the financial situation with the devils is very cloudy right now because of the shadyness of their owner.

Why sign in pittsburgh, because you will be competing for the cup year in and year out with a solid hockey organization.

I don't think the devils are annual cup contenders like we are, brodeur has one year left in them then they a huge hole in goal. There are actually a ton of questions marks on that team, they caught lighting in a bottle this year

Minnesota while got off to a hot start, is not yet an annual cup contender in the west, does parise help them yes, but doesn't push them all the way over the hump plus there team still has questions marks over the line up outside of him
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am

Okay, so Parise wouldn't have the "C" for the Pens. Just initiate a new system and give him a C-C, for "Co-Captain", which would be between the "C" and the "A". :wink: But then you might have a problem with Geno. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Arlow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Okay, so Parise wouldn't have the "C" for the Pens. Just initiate a new system and give him a C-C, for "Co-Captain", which would be between the "C" and the "A". :wink: But then you might have a problem with Geno. :roll:

BEPF

How about a "B"?
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am

You don't have to have a letter on your sweater do be a leader. I doubt it would be an issue with Parise or anyone else.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Okay, so Parise wouldn't have the "C" for the Pens. Just initiate a new system and give him a C-C, for "Co-Captain", which would be between the "C" and the "A". :wink: But then you might have a problem with Geno. :roll:

BEPF

Give Geno a K.

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 am

With Staal leaving, we do have an opening for an alternate captain...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:04 pm

While Jersey made a nice run in May, let's not forget that they finished 4th in the division last year. Arguing only on the basis of where a player can have a greater chance of a Cup in the next 5 years, Pit > NJD is a no-brainer.

There are several valid reasons why Parise might not be likely to be a Penguin, but this isn't one of them.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 pm

I wish GM Shero good-hunting ! I'm not going to get excited until ink on paper. Or fax.. or email... secret wink.

:D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Froggy wrote:With Staal leaving, we do have an opening for an alternate captain...

No we don't. Sid C, Geno A, Orpik A.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

joopen wrote:
Froggy wrote:With Staal leaving, we do have an opening for an alternate captain...

No we don't. Sid C, Geno A, Orpik A.

Staal and orpik alternated home and away
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Nizzy wrote:And this is what the average random fan does get. I can't stand it when people post these quick roster line ups that include Ryan, Suter, Parise and all our current players like we didn't have to give up any assets for them or anything. "Just pick up Suter for 6.0m". Sorry, there's going to be a big bidding war. It might get up to mid 7.5M a year for him.

While I agree with you that some fans think Pgh is the center of the universe and everyone wants to play here and if they don't sign, it was the Pens fault, I don't think it's unrealistic to get one or both of these guys.

There are many factors, and for all of the negatives you point out with Pgh, (and I thought Crosby was good friends with Parise, so that takes away one of your negatives), there are also many positives. There is not a perfect place.

He may want to play for Minny, his hometime, and he'd get paid big time, but I don't see Minny being an annual Cup Contender year in and year out. The Pens have/will have two of the worlds best players signed for the next decade at a discount and cap friendly hit for a player of their caliber, so they will have a contender built around them. Pgh is a strong hockey city as well especially with winning.

It is going to take a lot ot get these guys, and I do agree the chances are more likely that they go elsewhere than them coming here, but I wouldn't completely write it off as I think the Pens have a decent shot at them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 pm

radulov and malkin talked that one time in the break room there best friends -Crazy87

radulov is good for 75 with malkin pre year, 5 year contract

book it
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Nizzy wrote:radulov and malkin talked that one time in the break room there best friends -Crazy87

radulov is good for 75 with malkin pre year, 5 year contract

book it

:scared:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm thinking Suter and Parise are both going to need 7+ million to sign here. The only way we can sign both is to move salary, the most likely candidate being Martin. Don't forget, sid will be getting some kind of salary bump, and shero isn't going to paint himself into a corner that keeps him from signing Geno and Letang in the future. Even if Sid agrees to a discount, there's no guarantee Geno will take the same deal.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:I'm thinking Suter and Parise are both going to need 7+ million to sign here. The only way we can sign both is to move salary, the most likely candidate being Martin. Don't forget, sid will be getting some kind of salary bump, and shero isn't going to paint himself into a corner that keeps him from signing Geno and Letang in the future. Even if Sid agrees to a discount, there's no guarantee Geno will take the same deal.

I think Geno will take the same deal again. I truly think he loves it here. I think he will be signed long term as well for a cap friendly hit for a player of his caliber ($9-10M/per year).
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:I'm thinking Suter and Parise are both going to need 7+ million to sign here. The only way we can sign both is to move salary, the most likely candidate being Martin. Don't forget, sid will be getting some kind of salary bump, and shero isn't going to paint himself into a corner that keeps him from signing Geno and Letang in the future. Even if Sid agrees to a discount, there's no guarantee Geno will take the same deal.

I'll say again...if we got both Parise and Suter...and that meant Letang walks in two years...I can live with that. If it came down to Letang or Suter...I'm taking Suter.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins