Detroit Red Wings...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Detroit Red Wings...

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 pm

IanMoran wrote:Anyone else kind of worried about them as our main competition on July 1 for Suter / Parise?

We think we cleared out a lot of cap, but a quick look at CapGeek and one will notice Detroit has 24+ million to spend

Couldn't they theoretically offer more to both Suter / Parise?

Compared to most teams I think Pens can make a legit sales pitch of how much of a better situation Pittsburgh is, but they can't really do that against Detroit

Would you rather live in Detroit with your kids or Pittsburgh.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ace1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Both ---- haha.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 pm

KG wrote:Now that Lidstrom is gone, Detroit will spend big time to get Parise/Suter....They will be the Pens major competition I'm sure...

I think its Minnesota personally.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ace1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah, unless you're from the Iron Curtain. Then, Detroit seems like South Beach. Besides, who do yo want centering your line ..... Crosby or Filppula?
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Anyone else kind of worried about them as our main competition on July 1 for Suter / Parise?

We think we cleared out a lot of cap, but a quick look at CapGeek and one will notice Detroit has 24+ million to spend

Couldn't they theoretically offer more to both Suter / Parise?

Compared to most teams I think Pens can make a legit sales pitch of how much of a better situation Pittsburgh is, but they can't really do that against Detroit

Would you rather live in Detroit with your kids or Pittsburgh.

I agree Pittsburgh, but I think to a lot of people from an outside perspective groups Pittsburgh as a similar city to Detroit tbh
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Kraftster wrote:
sil wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
sil wrote:Detroit doesn't usually overspend for players. If they end up with Suter and/or Parise...it'll be because those players chose to play there instead.

They also normally pay up to the cap right? In order to do that this year they can offer both those guys some good deals

Only if they need to. It's not about cap with them. They simply will not pay Suter $8M a year, nor will they pay Parise $9M a year.

Well, I hope the Pens won't either.

Certainly...I hope not either!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Parise isn't going to get $9 million per year from anyone. Thats outrageous.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RPKJr429 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Doesn't the fact that Martin came out and said he was experiencing concussion-like symptoms handcuff any deals for cap relief? He's not the horrible defensemen that group-think tends to make him out to be, but do you think anybody would be willing to take that contract if they can't expect immediate return on their investment?
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

RPKJr429 wrote:Doesn't the fact that Martin came out and said he was experiencing concussion-like symptoms handcuff any deals for cap relief? He's not the horrible defensemen that group-think tends to make him out to be, but do you think anybody would be willing to take that contract if they can't expect immediate return on their investment?

He's stated he's fine now / if you go by anyone that's had a concussion before value going down then no one would want the majority of the NHL. Its not like he has a lengthy history with it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Meh, half of the players in the NHL have experienced concussion-like symptoms at some point. With Martin having the summer to recover (and I haven't seen any reports that he is still experiencing symptoms) I don't think that would be a factor in any GM's mind.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Well actually Suter and Parise will go where they want to go, money will not be the main factor. I think both already have a preferece of the place they want to play. When it comes down to it the dollars will be comparable in each city that offers and it will come down to the city and their ability to play for a championship year after year. Hopefully they will prefer Pittsburgh. Maybe a tour of CEC will sway them.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm

no name wrote: Maybe a tour of CEC will sway them.

In any other major sport league in America then yea.. that could work, but for some odd reason NHL is SOOO fast-pace and doesn't include flying in / tours of places and stuff like what happens in NFL / NBA / MLB

I never understood how NHL free-agency developed into deals happening so rapidly, but not complaining it makes July 1 fun
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:46 pm

IanMoran wrote:

In any other major sport league in America then yea.. that could work, but for some odd reason NHL is SOOO fast-pace and doesn't include flying in / tours of places and stuff like what happens in NFL / NBA / MLB

I never understood how NHL free-agency developed into deals happening so rapidly, but not complaining it makes July 1 fun

Plus, the players don't need a tour, they play here enough to know what it looks like, sounds like, etc (esp. division rivals coming here 3 times a year, more if playoff series) In the NFL because there are only 16 games, you may not play at a venue for 4 years because of scheduling. I would say Parise knows how CEC/Pittsburgh works to a large degree.
ryman1566

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm

ryman1566 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Plus, the players don't need a tour, they play here enough to know what it looks like, sounds like, etc (esp. division rivals coming here 3 times a year, more if playoff series) In the NFL because there are only 16 games, you may not play at a venue for 4 years because of scheduling. I would say Parise knows how CEC/Pittsburgh works to a large degree.

Lol, yea makes sense in NFL but not so much in other leagues.. and how much does Suter really know about Pittsburgh?

Not that I care, I've just wondered before how it developed that deals occur 20 minutes after when teams are allowed to start talking to players lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm

IanMoran wrote:
ryman1566 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Lol, yea makes sense in NFL but not so much in other leagues.. and how much does Suter really know about Pittsburgh?

Not that I care, I've just wondered before how it developed that deals occur 20 minutes after when teams are allowed to start talking to players lol

Shero: Here is 6.5 million dollars for 5 season, you get to play with Crosby and Malkin and maintain a decent profile in a hockey crazed city without the Canadian media. Sign here....and here, please. And did you see that statue outside last time you were in town?? Yeah that's our owner, he's kind of a big deal.
ryman1566

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Or more accurately. Here is $5 million dollars per year even though you aren't good. You're getting the "i'm blackout drunk" special. Sign here...and here.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Maybe I'm a total homer, but if I was these two guys I'd rather go to Pittsburgh over Detroit, solely based upon the age of the Penguins' stars and the potential to win the Cup in the Burgh.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 pm

topshelf wrote:Maybe I'm a total homer, but if I was these two guys I'd rather go to Pittsburgh over Detroit, solely based upon the age of the Penguins' stars and the potential to win the Cup in the Burgh.

But the Wings owner could offer up a ton of Little Cesar's Pizza, plus you'd be a hero in Detroit because you had a job.
ryman1566

Postby topshelf on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 pm

ryman1566 wrote:
topshelf wrote:Maybe I'm a total homer, but if I was these two guys I'd rather go to Pittsburgh over Detroit, solely based upon the age of the Penguins' stars and the potential to win the Cup in the Burgh.

But the Wings owner could offer up a ton of Little Cesar's Pizza, plus you'd be a hero in Detroit because you had a job.

:thumb:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm

IanMoran wrote:

Just don give his wife and kids tickets near the crowded upper concourse bend. I kid I kid.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm

I don't think the Pens are going to land Suter honestly. Parise we have a little shot due to Crosby.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm

I'd be genuinely shocked if one team ran away with both of July's biggest free agents. It sounds like Suter is the biggest target for both clubs but for some reason I see Detroit getting him. :?

IanMoran wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Get this DRW title thread off Pens Related. Don't we already have a thread about the big name FA's. I dont want to see DRW name everytime I refresh the page. They won't make a FA the highest paid over their current guys.

lol.. someone seems to really hate the Red Wings

Indeed...I love it :lol:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Suter is a target for far more than the Pens and Wings. I think someone is going to overpay for him big time. That is why I don't see the Pens getting him. Suter is a good solid defensemen but he isn't worth crushing the cap for.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelershark on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Suter's and Parise's negotiations are already moving forward, they have picked their teams already.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm

ryman1566 wrote:

:thumb: I like the new guy
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins