Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 am

For what it's worth, article in the MN paper today - Russo mentions that if the Wild can't get Suter, he mentions Paul Martin as a plan B for them.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:50 am

What i think Shero is gonna do is go after Parise and Suter and if he gets both, you will see Paul Martin moved after the fact.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 am

Bioshock wrote:What i think Shero is gonna do is go after Parise and Suter and if he gets both, you will see Paul Martin moved after the fact.

I believe you are exactly correct. Shero has to wait and see who he can obtain in free agency before he moves Martin. Otherwise he would be forced to overpay for somebody. At this time of year they can be over the cap anyhow so this is the smarter play.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 am

mikey287 wrote:If a 30-year old fringe NHLer can have "sky is the limit" potential...I can't imagine what you think of Eric Tangradi, hell even...anyone. everyone.

You're missing the point. Tangradi should be moved for a bag of pucks and two water bottles, and Engelland should be signed to a 10 year contract so he can realize his potential into his 40s!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am

Engelland is a perfect 7th defenceman, espicially when you need a physical presence on the ice. You no longer need a Godard type. Just a guy you can plug in the lineup if you think things might get chippy. He can hold his own. But if he didn;t have that fighting ability he would be in the minors on a team with more depth at defence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 am

no name wrote:Engelland is a perfect 7th defenceman, espicially when you need a physical presence on the ice. You no longer need a Godard type. Just a guy you can plug in the lineup if you think things might get chippy. He can hold his own. But if he didn;t have that fighting ability he would be in the minors on a team with more depth at defence.

Yeah, I was just thinking how terrible Engelland was when he was called upon to shut down Ovechkin on several occasions last season. Strange how more teams weren't able to exploit his weakness on this team?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 pm

steelhammer wrote:
no name wrote:Engelland is a perfect 7th defenceman, espicially when you need a physical presence on the ice. You no longer need a Godard type. Just a guy you can plug in the lineup if you think things might get chippy. He can hold his own. But if he didn;t have that fighting ability he would be in the minors on a team with more depth at defence.

Yeah, I was just thinking how terrible Engelland was when he was called upon to shut down Ovechkin on several occasions last season. Strange how more teams weren't able to exploit his weakness on this team?

Very difficult to be exploited when you're scratched for the entire 2010 and 2011 playoffs. And in 2012, the only time he wasn't stapled to the bench was when Pittsburgh was up 100-3 on Philadelphia in game 4. Otherwise, he was playing 10 minutes a night against the other teams 4th line. They couldn't exploit him because we hid him on the bench or in the press box.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 pm

bhaw wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Brandon Sutter after his rookie year.. was what 19?

Engelland didn't start showing any signs of life at the NHL level till he was almost 30.

Pretty big difference I think there.

Again, my analogy is that age is irrelevant here.

Come again? There is no difference between a 19 year old with 2 years experience and a 30 year old with 2 years experience? I don't know why you're upset that people are disagreeing with you because I would say 99%+ of analysts, fans, coaches, GMs, and players would say otherwise. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that even Engelland would disagree with you here.

So is your notion that Pesonen never got a fair shot and if we just gave him 2 years to develop, he easily had a shot at being a top 10 NHL player?

Again...as others on this board are, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

If two players have NEVER played in the NHL before, regardless of age, if will take them a few years to really develop their game and adjust to the speed. By speed, I don't just mean physical speed, but the speed of being able to react and think at how fast the game moves. Obviously a 19 year old has a longer future than someone entering the league at 28, but IF BOTH have NO PRIOR NHL experience, they're both at ground zero.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

steelhammer wrote:

Steelhammer, haters gonna hate, bro. Like i said the other day, theres bigger issues on this club than the 6th D.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby hockeymon on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

its interesting Martin vs Suter. Basically same type of player. Suter may score 2-3 goals more per year and a few more assist which you can contribute to playing more on the power play. they play about the same in minutes per game. Plus Minus about the same. so to pay him 1-2 milliion more will be interesting what fans strart saying if they do get him.
hockeymon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm

They are similar style players, Suter is undoubtedly better though. This has been the case for several years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm

I have a similar view of Suter. If he signs it won't be long till he's a whipping boy like Martin cause he's not a 60 point d-man.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 pm

For the last time, Martin is NOT being criticized because of his offensive play. He sucks defensively too. Suter is not desired because of his offensive prowess and will not be criticized for not being a Letang as long as he performs like the shutdown dman most think he is.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby hockeymon on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Defensively same !!
hockeymon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Streaks House on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:For what it's worth, article in the MN paper today - Russo mentions that if the Wild can't get Suter, he mentions Paul Martin as a plan B for them.

And "Plan B" for the Wild would require trading for Paul Martin, which dismisses the "Paul Martin is untradeable and has zero value" theory.

I still think a lot of dominos would have to fall for the Pens to ship Paul Martin away. Pens sign Suter and/or Parise AND/OR sign/acquire additional defenseman(men).
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:For what it's worth, article in the MN paper today - Russo mentions that if the Wild can't get Suter, he mentions Paul Martin as a plan B for them.

So we sign Suter and the Wild are forced into taking plan b. Sounds like a plan to me.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Minn. has nothing that looks appealing trade wise for the Pens.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Minn. has nothing that looks appealing trade wise for the Pens.

clutterbuck... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Minn. has nothing that looks appealing trade wise for the Pens.

If we get Suter, thus forcing the Martin trade, what is it that you want for Martin? I'd be fine with Nick Palmieri and a 3rd for Paul Martin and Ben Lovejoy.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Streaks House on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 pm

They certainly aren't giving up a player like Granlund, but I wouldn't mind a prospect, as trading Martin would serve to open cap space.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Grunthy wrote:

Ehhhhhhh, that'd leave the Pens D looking like

Letang - Orpik
Suter - Nisky
Engelland - Lovejoy/Strait/Bortuzzo

I'd rather keep Martin in that case.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Grunthy wrote:

Letang - Orpik
Suter - Nisky

depending on how much salary we take on trading martin we could still possibly sign allen to knock down one of the defenseman.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 pm

If they sign suter, they will likely end up dumping martin. I really don't think suter is going to be a pen next year. With michalek gone, the pens will need nisky and some young guys to contribute more. I personally think strait, bortuzzo, and despres are ready to play in the nhl.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby burghsportsguys on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Grunthy wrote:

Letang - Orpik
Suter - Nisky

When did they get rid of Despres? Morrow has no shot?

Basically you'd rather have that lineup with Martin than with Suter? That's very odd.

The appeal in dealing Martin is that you free up $5MM in cap space to spend on others like Suter and (in the future) Letang. Realistically, the only thing the Pens should want is to dump the salary.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm

My bad knew I was missing someone. Suter - Despres/Nisky than

Engel - Despres/Nisky

Still don't like it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext