Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you sign?

Nash via trade
1%
Parise
69%
Suter
17%
Weber via trade (RFA)
13%

Total votes : 105

Re: Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:17 pm

I like the Ottawa trade better. Foligno is probably about as effective Clowe but with more upside, Pavelski is very good, but Zibanejad could be a future star, Lehner is gonna be a really good goalie and the first in a D-heavy draft would be better than Demers...that Ottawa deal is a humdinger I feel...I'm not sure if it's enough for Nash though, if I'm Howson. I'd be very careful with that asset as well, has to be a perfect fit. You can't try to squeeze water from a stone here, certainly, and I know some feel he's doing that...but this isn't some trade...this is the most important transaction in franchise history...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cerp66 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Actually Semin has come out (shut up) and basically said he's not going to be back in DC, and I know Parise has a completely different set of intangibles, but from a fiscal standpoint Semin might make more sense considering he's very talented but lacks that extra something that separates him from being a franchise player. I think he would put up more goals with Sid, especially considering its a running joke on HF that Devils fans say they have never (seriously) seen Parise score a goal from beyond the hash marks.

They used to say that about Crosby. :)
cerp66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm

There's no way that SJS offer for Nash is real, there's no way he would have turned that down.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 pm

The SJS rumor last I heard was that Howson wanted Logan Couture and SJS repeatedly declines considering Couture had almost better everything than Nash.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:There's no way that SJS offer for Nash is real, there's no way he would have turned that down.

Bleh, that's not that impressive an offer, IMO. I would have asked for something more than a second line center, a complimentary winger, a third pairing D and a first for my franchise player as well. Of all the offers I've heard for Nash, that's the weakest one I think.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Ijustmancrushclowe
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
scpensfan wrote:Maybe I'm just scarred from our last Pens experience, but I don't see how defense isn't the bigger need. By a mile. Parise would be awesome, but *somebody's* gonna have to keep Philadephia from putting up 8 a game.

Not if we score 9. Besides, isn't that why we got Vokoun? :pop:

No. The problem wasn't Fleury. It won't get better with Vokoun, Brodeur, Tony Esposito, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, or Tom Barrasso in net. It's the guys in front of the goalie who had the horrible play. Defense dictates flow of play and wins Cups. Offense is good and you need it, but in the end you've got to stop the other team.

I would like to have Parise, but you have to get another great defenseman - Suter. AT that point if you can afford Parise, sure. And if Hal Gill is available for $2.75 or $2.5M and you've still got cap space, why not?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Uh...the team defense wasn't good, but that doesn't mean Fleury wasn't bad.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Uh...the team defense wasn't good, but that doesn't mean Fleury wasn't bad.

Exactly. Fleury wasn't good, but the team, as a whole, stunk - and that's why they lost in the first round. It wasn't Fleury, it wasn't the defense... it was everything.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Uh...the team defense wasn't good, but that doesn't mean Fleury wasn't bad.

Exactly. Fleury wasn't good, but the team, as a whole, stunk - and that's why they lost in the first round. It wasn't Fleury, it wasn't the defense... it was everything.

I agree with "it was everything". Including the forwards not playing any defense as well... even our shut down third line centermen.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 am

So Martin and Kennedy are this decade's Kraft and Laukkanen of underachieving players that Pens desperately want to get rid of but are convinced they can be used to get a great player back? Paler Marnedy?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 am

I see 4 things happening:

1) Suter and Parise are signed, Martin is moved for prospects like Michalek was as there won't be anyone much better for what he is making during free agency

2) Suter is signed, Parise goes to another team and Martin is moved to the Wild for Bouchard or Setoguchio or Troronto for Lupul or Armstrong

3) Parise is signed and we rely on mostly offense to overcome and shortcomings on defense while Despres, Strait, Bortuzzo and maybe even Morrow get their feet yet and earn more responsibility and address any other defnsive needs at the deadline with massive cap space

4) neither is signed and a lesser tier free agent like Parentau or Sullivan is brought back and we address all needs at the trade deadline
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 am

Are we all at least in agreement that Martin shouldn't be dealt unless we have already replaced him with a true top pairing d man?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 am

Froggy wrote:Are we all at least in agreement that Martin shouldn't be dealt unless we have already replaced him with a true top pairing d man?

Even if it doesn't happen now...he could still be dealt during the season if the situation/oppertunity arose.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am

sil wrote:
Froggy wrote:Are we all at least in agreement that Martin shouldn't be dealt unless we have already replaced him with a true top pairing d man?

Even if it doesn't happen now...he could still be dealt during the season if the situation/oppertunity arose.

Yeah, unless we need cap relief, there is no rush to do anything with Martin. I just don't want to trade him and then miss out on suter. I know people hate Martin, or whatever... But I'm not to keen on the idea of niskanen and either engelland or a rookie logging 20+ a night
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 am

For what the Pens should spend on parise and Suter there is enough cap space to sign both and not need to trade Martin.

If that happens then Niskanen can't be signed until Martin is gone. So there's your new dilema, do you trade Martin for some picks and prospects and rely on Niskanen as your #4 (which I am fine with) or do you keep Martin and move Niskanen?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 am

Niskanen as an RFA will be inherently cheaper. No reason to move him. No reason to think he won't be signed.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

I rate the chances of the Pens signing Suter as slim to none.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am

I voted for Parise. I'm tired of watching Crosby play with checkers. Let's get him a legitimate winger. Malkin's got one. We have money to spend, so let's do this right and get our boy a good winger.

If not Parise then someone else, but someone good.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 am

Gaucho wrote:I rate the chances of the Pens signing Suter as slim to none.

Why? We're in it right with everybody else.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 am

Sarcastic wrote:

Because of the article about the situation in the Post-Gazette. His desire to remain in the West and the Red Wings being in it makes me think we'll probably not get him. And I'm not even sure I'd want him for the money he's bound to get.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

Gaucho wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Because of the article about the situation in the Post-Gazette. His desire to remain in the West and the Red Wings being in it makes me think we'll probably not get him. And I'm not even sure I'd want him for the money he's bound to get.

well #1 he is an elite d-man... so money would need to be spent to get him, and i don't think shero would ever regret the money it took to sign him, BUT I agree. I really think we have no chance at all of signing him. I see him signing with the wings.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 am

Suter at 6 million and Martin traded - yes
Suter at 7 million and Martin traded - no
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:06 am

Eh. I won't get into guessing games. I'll also let Shero decide how he wants to structure his lineup. Consider also that if you sign a player like Suter, he becomes an asset and so unless he gives him a super clause, he'll be easy to move if something doesn't work out or if we want to change something. Getting quality players as UFA in the summer is also a good strategy if you think you may want to make a trade at the deadline.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am

Is Suter really elite or is he just way above average? I don't know. But I expect the Wings to throw some insane contract at him.

As an aside, I hope we keep Paul Martin and he decides to stop underachieving.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins