Fleury's last chance?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

MAF is not seeing a last chance, because Vokoun is not at a stage of his career where he can be counted on to be leaned on as a starter for 3-4 years. Vokoun is a veteran who can fill in for a month (whether due to injury or performance) and still allow the Pens to look like a Cup contender in front of him.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,626
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm

They are both NHL starting goalies. The Pens should go with whoever is playing better.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby owtahear on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Look, MAF was HORRIBLE in the Philly series this year and the Canadian series 2 years ago. HORRIBLE. If he plays only to his average, the Pens win both. Sure the defense was bad, but MAF was really, really bad.

So...............hopefully Vokoun can spell him some more games. Also, the fact that the Pens decided to address the goalie position for the first time in MAF's career, may hopefully help him mature.

I believe with a goalie of MAF's age, it is not the physical wear and tear of playing 60+ games and then the playoffs, but the mental wear and tear. The concentration wanes. I believe that what happens, if a guy like Fluery gets past the first two rounds, then the mental concentration will be there as the prize is right in front of him. Unlike say an older goalie like a Roloson who eventually runs out of gas.

So hopefully Vokoun plays 25-28 games and MAF is well rested. But also........hopefully MAF stops the stupid gymnastics routines during shoot outs and learns to be more responsible, because this is a good time to hone that concentration. No doubt he is one of the most gifted goalies in the league physically. But he has lapses that are just inexcusable at times.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,148
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

owtahear wrote:Look, MAF was HORRIBLE in the Philly series this year and the Canadian series 2 years ago. HORRIBLE. If he plays only to his average, the Pens win both. Sure the defense was bad, but MAF was really, really bad.

So...............hopefully Vokoun can spell him some more games. Also, the fact that the Pens decided to address the goalie position for the first time in MAF's career, may hopefully help him mature.

I believe with a goalie of MAF's age, it is not the physical wear and tear of playing 60+ games and then the playoffs, but the mental wear and tear. The concentration wanes. I believe that what happens, if a guy like Fluery gets past the first two rounds, then the mental concentration will be there as the prize is right in front of him. Unlike say an older goalie like a Roloson who eventually runs out of gas.

So hopefully Vokoun plays 25-28 games and MAF is well rested. But also........hopefully MAF stops the stupid gymnastics routines during shoot outs and learns to be more responsible, because this is a good time to hone that concentration. No doubt he is one of the most gifted goalies in the league physically. But he has lapses that are just inexcusable at times.


What's he doing wrong in the shootouts? He is a pretty good record and save percentage in those.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,582
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I think he's referring to messing around in practice...

Not sure what that has to do with him playing poorly.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,558
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm

last chance?

For Romance?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,573
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I think he's referring to messing around in practice...

Not sure what that has to do with him playing poorly.


Most players use practice time to make themselves a better player. Watch an OHL practice sometime and see how hard the goalies get worked over. Despite the grueling nature of those practices, the ones who really want to be the best actually stay after and work on drills until they get kicked off by the people who work at the rink. Now compare that to the images of Fleury you see during practice. He could stand to take things a little more seriously. Maybe push himself some more. He shouldn't need the threat of Ty Conklin or T-Vo to bring out the best in his game.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby KG on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm

MAF was bad, as was the rest of the team in the playoffs. I don't like how Bylsma has made comments singling out MAF and his play.

One could easily make the argument that the team played like crap against the Flyers because they were severely out-coached...disco...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,824
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

You'd think with moustache guy contests, Flower would be ready for every breakaway the flyers had! That's coaching.
Hands down pens gave the flyers game 1, no excuse for Flower. Or Evgeni(penalties), or Jordan(clang), or Sid.(couldn't lift the puck on Ilya) None of them escape blame. ? Maybe Neal. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,670
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ball of Confusion

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Certainly not his last chance. He has won a Cup and taken his team to the finals twice in the past 5 seasons. Now, having said that, Fleury needs to be better in the post season. The signing of Vokoun was more than just getting a guy who can give him a rest. It was a little bit of a motivational kick in the butt, I think, because they will not hesitate to use Vokoun at any point if Fleury is struggling badly.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,577
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Spoiler:
Image

This is your last chance...free us or die.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,274
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby NeddieVedder on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Take the shootout to determine which player must grow a mustache more seriously
check
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby dman66 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 pm

steelhammer wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I think he's referring to messing around in practice...

Not sure what that has to do with him playing poorly.


Most players use practice time to make themselves a better player. Watch an OHL practice sometime and see how hard the goalies get worked over. Despite the grueling nature of those practices, the ones who really want to be the best actually stay after and work on drills until they get kicked off by the people who work at the rink. Now compare that to the images of Fleury you see during practice. He could stand to take things a little more seriously. Maybe push himself some more. He shouldn't need the threat of Ty Conklin or T-Vo to bring out the best in his game.


Seriously? You see, what, maybe one practice a month of the Penguins (the portion of which determines who grows a mustache for a month) and make conclusions off of that?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,764
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Dahntahn Baltimore, MD

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:05 pm

If he plays as bad as he did this playoff next playoff then by all means the Pens should dump him ASAP. I would dump him ASAP now personally. I have no faith in him anymore and will never again consider the Pens having any type of goaltender advantage in a playoff series until Fleury comes up with at least a decent playoff series.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,529
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:18 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:Certainly not his last chance. He has won a Cup and taken his team to the finals twice in the past 5 seasons.


This should have no bearing on it whatsover.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,157
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:If he plays as bad as he did this playoff next playoff then by all means the Pens should dump him ASAP. I would dump him ASAP now personally. I have no faith in him anymore and will never again consider the Pens having any type of goaltender advantage in a playoff series until Fleury comes up with at least a decent playoff series.


food for thought; Sid's last great play-off series was against the caps, 2009. ? maybe ottawa 2010.
Collectively they(core) haven't been able to push themselves into championship - kill mode.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,670
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ball of Confusion

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 pm

penny lane wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:If he plays as bad as he did this playoff next playoff then by all means the Pens should dump him ASAP. I would dump him ASAP now personally. I have no faith in him anymore and will never again consider the Pens having any type of goaltender advantage in a playoff series until Fleury comes up with at least a decent playoff series.


food for thought; Sid's last great play-off series was against the caps, 2009. ? maybe ottawa 2010.
Collectively they(core) haven't been able to push themselves into championship - kill mode.


Crosby had 19 points in 13 games in the 09-10 playoffs, missed the 10-11 playoffs, and had 8 points in 6 games in the 11-12 playoffs. Pretty far off from the worst in the league and worst all-time performances.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Cut Fleury and bring back JS Aubin.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,883
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Bring Me Four Fried Chickens and a Coke...

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 pm

lololololololololololololololololol

This thread made my day. Thanks a bunch.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,682
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby Metalmike on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 pm

This is Disco Dan's last chance!!


Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby mjg on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Great thread guys. Holy crap. Johnson sucked all year and was a guaranteed loss. MAF ended up overworked. The Pens forgot how to defend the power play and gave up two big leads in games they should have won. Fleury only gave up a couple of soft goals by my count. The defense in front of him was way more soft than his play by any measure. And drafting goalies in the middle rounds isn't exactly an indictment against your franchise goalie. The organization doesn't have many goalies. We almost had to draft a couple. Of the 30 starting goalies, who would seriously put MAF outside the top third?
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Mount Joy, PA

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm

There is no excuse for having the worst playoff series out of any goalie in the history of the sport. Everyone knows the team didnt play well but you can't just brush off his performance. Fleury is the most important player on the ice and he completely blew it. I'm tired of the overworked excuse.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,086
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:41 pm

If there was any resemblance of a defense in front of him for the series, I wouldn't write if off so easily. I chalk it up as teamsuckassism.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,662
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby steezburger on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Everybody's last chance. The team's gonna go to Kansas City.
steezburger
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: dahntahn

Re: Fleury's last chance?

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:If there was any resemblance of a defense in front of him for the series, I wouldn't write if off so easily. I chalk it up as teamsuckassism.


Which teammate was responsible for this one?

steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: C4 Row E, Great58, Shakes and 11 guests

e-mail