Goodbye Jordan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Goodbye Jordan

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 am

columbia wrote:
Jordan said he did not care if he played the wing on Eric's line or if he continued to play center. After being in the shadow of superstar centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in Pittsburgh, Jordan -- who scored 25 goals this season -- likes the idea of getting the chance to be a bigger offensive contributor for the Canes.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/sta ... rylink=cpy

:pop:

I'm glad we cleared that one up.

So he's OK with playing wing for his brother, but not for Crosby? Thanks, Jordan.

You know what this smells to me like? I think his brother talked him into playing in Carolina because they've got nothing going for them, so he gave him all the mumbo jumbo about how nice it would be if they both played together, without giving any thought to what it would mean for Jordan to leave Penguins.

Well, the joke may be on them because Jordan is not a #1 center and I can't see such line (with Jordan as center) being ultra productive. If Jordan plays wing, then I think that line has a better chance of succeding, but mostly because Eric is so good. What is probably going to happen, however, is that Jordan will get the #2 center position and since they don't have any wingers, his numbers won't be that impressive. Of course, I'm guessing. Just saying that it will be interesting to see what happens, but once you get past the sentimental BS of two brothers joining forces, it can really go either way.

Here is something I wanted to post, however. I find it very disturbing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635910

"I did get offered a deal with Pittsburgh, but when I heard about it I wasn’t really comfortable with it yet. I really just kind of wanted to wait it out and play next year," Staal said. "Without playing with Sid and Geno together in the lineup for so long, I didn’t know how it was going to end up. I kind of wanted to test the waters and see how it is, but obviously Ray was in a very difficult situation and decided to move me on."

"We had talked about it a little bit I think with all my brothers and my parents," Staal said. "It was something that we would all really like to do. It is not too often to have brothers in the NHL, but to be able to play alongside one is a pretty special thing. If I did sign that 10-year extension, my chance to play with Eric would probably have dwindled a lot. It is a very exciting time for myself and for Eric and our family. ... It is going to be a neat time in my career."

Aw. His mom and dad and his brother talked him into playing with Eric. How cute.

But listen. This punk was planning on playing the whole year, then going into summer as a FA to 'test waters'. You know what. I told Malkamaniac that I hope it doesn't turn into rage and hatred with Staal. I change my mind. I think he tried to screw us over and would have if we didn't trade him. A whole lot of respect from me toward Staal is gone.

Malk. Bring on the ragin' hatred, Death Metal style.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 am

:slowclap:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 am

I'm not sure why this would be any different than a chance taken on any other player. Eric has absolutely nothing to do with it as he's already under a long term deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 pm

lol
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm

All I have to say is... enjoy. I'll gladly take Sutter, Dumoulin, and Pouliot for Staal. Adds more defensive depth, clears some cap space, and provides a guy better suited for 3rd line duty that Staal (IMO).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Neato Jordan... :roll: has the potential to blow-up in his face.

It was jordan who wanted a new captain back january... 8-) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm

What is the fascination of playing on the same team as your brother? Doesn't that get old in like...peewee?

When asked about having to face PK some day and how Bruins fans will react, Malcom Subban replied "Yeah, they don't like him very much. Heck, I don't like him very much." He went on to say he wants to play AGAINST his brother.

That's the kind of brotherly love I want to see.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:32 pm

I don't think its really the same when one is a skater and the other is a goalie.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Kid could have said nothing and walked next July. He has every right to do so.

Kudos for Shero on calling Jordan's bluff and got a definitive answer out of him. I am not angry with Jordan's decision and I am very happy with how it all turned out. I always enjoyed Staal's gameplay and this situation has not changed my attitude towards him.

As for the Pens, I think they got 100% of what they could for an expiring asset. I think Sutter will be an excellent #3 C for this club and they got some tremendous defensive prospects as well.

Good bye Jordan. Enjoy Hurricane season!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Sarcastic wrote:But listen. This punk was planning on playing the whole year, then going into summer as a FA to 'test waters'. You know what. I told Malkamaniac that I hope it doesn't turn into rage and hatred with Staal. I change my mind. I think he tried to screw us over and would have if we didn't trade him. A whole lot of respect from me toward Staal is gone.

I don't understand you rage, or even the logic of it all.

To expect a family to NEVER discuss the idea of brothers playing together at some point is ridiculous. Any family would have such discussions amongst themselves and fantasize about the fun.

As for "screwing the Pens"...how exactly? He was going to honor his contract, then use his CBA mandated right to see what other opportunities were available.

Release the hatred my friend. It's focus in not true.
Last edited by Pitts on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:Kid could have said nothing and walked next July. He has every right to do so.

Kudos for Shero on calling Jordan's bluff and got a definitive answer out of him. I am not angry with Jordan's decision and I am very happy with how it all turned out. I always enjoyed Staal's gameplay and this situation has not changed my attitude towards him.

As for the Pens, I think they got 100% of what they could for an expiring asset. I think Sutter will be an excellent #3 C for this club and they got some tremendous defensive prospects as well.

Good bye Jordan. Enjoy Hurricane season!

I caught alot of heat in the old Staal thread for giving Shero heat for not being pre-emptive enough in learning enough about the Staal situatioin befor it came down to what it did. We were lucky enough a deal got worked out and no one got "taken" in the deal. It could of played out alot uglier than it did.

But i have to admit now, Shero offering that deal to him was a way for him to gauge his intrest in staying. Once he found out he was planning on leaving he didn't sit and wait he made bold move and got a decient return for Jordan.

No ill feelings to jordan just wish he would of made his intension known.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 pm

If all 4 of the Staal's end up on the Hurricanes, will they change their name to the Carolina Sod Farmers?
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

no name wrote:I caught alot of heat in the old Staal thread for giving Shero heat for not being pre-emptive enough in learning enough about the Staal situatioin befor it came down to what it did. We were lucky enough a deal got worked out and no one got "taken" in the deal. It could of played out alot uglier than it did.

But i have to admit now, Shero offering that deal to him was a way for him to gauge his intrest in staying. Once he found out he was planning on leaving he didn't sit and wait he made bold move and got a decient return for Jordan.

No ill feelings to jordan just wish he would of made his intension known.

I am not quite sure how Shero could have been any more proactive. He can't make Staal come out and say "Yeah.. Sorry Ray I wanna be surrounded by brotherly love". All Shero can do is force Staal's hand and that he did. Shero also wouldn't have wanted Staal to come out and say before the season ended that he wanted to play with his brothers as that would have divided the lockerroom. And let's face it, Staal was not getting traded last season regardless of his intentions.

Shero handled this the most professional way possible as to not piss the Staal camp off while making sure the Pens got A+ return. I don't think luck had anything to do with it. Had Carolina come out and said, no we are in no way interested in taking on Jordan, then I am sure Eric wouldn't have put the bug in Jordan's ear. If that were the case, I am sure Jordan would probably have taken the 10 year deal.

This was an opportunity that I am sure opened up for Jordan that he could not refuse. And for that, I do not blame him. I would even believe that Eric was asked if he would like to play with his brother and if he did, the Canes' would explore that route in acquiring him. I don't think this was an overnight scenario that developed.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

According to Mike Colligan - the Canucks offered Ryan Kesler for Staal.

Would you have made that deal?
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

llipgh2 wrote:According to Mike Colligan - the Canucks offered Ryan Kesler for Staal.

If the Pens didn't plan on pursuing Parise or Suter or both, then yea I would of. The fact they want one or both of those players they couldn't of made the deal, with Kesler's cap hit of $5 million
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby ILikeTurtles on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm

llipgh2 wrote:According to Mike Colligan - the Canucks offered Ryan Kesler for Staal.

Kesler is a better player than Staal and signed at $5 million for a couple more seasons, if I were GMRS I would have taken that trade. Since Shero was looking to clear some cap space and possibly go after Parise or Suter I see why he didn't.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Pitts wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:But listen. This punk was planning on playing the whole year, then going into summer as a FA to 'test waters'. You know what. I told Malkamaniac that I hope it doesn't turn into rage and hatred with Staal. I change my mind. I think he tried to screw us over and would have if we didn't trade him. A whole lot of respect from me toward Staal is gone.

To expect a family to NEVER discuss the idea of brothers playing together at some point is ridiculous. Any family would have such discussions amongst themselves and fantasize about the fun.

As for "screwing the Pens"...how exactly? He was going to honor his contract, then use his CBA mandated right to see what other opportunities were available.

The problem I have is that he didn't want to give us an answer. He didn't want to sign an extension "right now". Just wanted to cruise along all season and decide later (we now know how it would have turned out). Yes, it is within his rights, but he should also be respectful of his team and understand that he is a big asset and that Penguins cannot simply lose him. Thank God that Shero is a good GM who can spot a BS-itter and knew he had to trade him. We would have been in deep doo-doo if Staal got his way.

As far as the family thing, yeah, it's cute playing with your brother, but I just wonder how much it was his decision and how much exactly it was his parents'. It doesn't really matter.. I'm just nitpicking with that. What matters is the point above about him potentially leaving us as a FA. If he wanted to leave so badly he should have been upfront with Shero and told him to trade him. Not wait until next summer so he could walk away.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Staal feels that he is more than a third line center, and I have no problem with that. As of now, he is the third line center. If he had ended up playing as 2nd line center with crosby on his wing this next year, there is a very good chance he would've stayed. However, there is no way he would have signed a 10 year contract believing he was going to remain the third line center, and while playing behind crosby and malkin, he would never be a number 2.

I don't think it was a sure thing he was going to carolina next year as a FA, and that is why carolina gave up a significant package to acquire him. While I'm sure he is happy to play with his brother, Shero didn't just look at trading him to carolina. Carolina offered the best package and he was traded. I really don't hold anything against him. It was not in his best interest to remain a pen for 10 more years.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Pitts wrote:

The problem I have is that he didn't want to give us an answer. He didn't want to sign an extension "right now". Just wanted to cruise along all season and decide later (we now know how it would have turned out). Yes, it is within his rights, but he should also be respectful of his team and understand that he is a big asset and that Penguins cannot simply lose him. Thank God that Shero is a good GM who can spot a BS-itter and knew he had to trade him. We would have been in deep doo-doo if Staal got his way.

As far as the family thing, yeah, it's cute playing with your brother, but I just wonder how much it was his decision and how much exactly it was his parents'. It doesn't really matter.. I'm just nitpicking with that. What matters is the point above about him potentially leaving us as a FA. If he wanted to leave so badly he should have been upfront with Shero and told him to trade him. Not wait until next summer so he could walk away.

It's more than reasonable to assume that Staal wanted the final year of this contract to see if his role increased with the Penguins before inking a new contract or testing the waters. He has one year left on his contract and had no obligation -- contractual or moral -- to give the Penguins an answer right now one way or another. To think he did is very one-sided and naive. Shero did what he had to do to protect his assets knowing that it was entirely possible Staal could walk as a free agent at the conclusion of this contract. Shero ended up getting a hell of a deal for Staal, one that many national media experts are calling a win for the Penguins despite Carolina getting the best player.

Staal has been nothing but a warrior and loyal player for the Penguins. Blood is thicker than water, so suggesting he shouldn't want to play with his brother is ridiculous. Even so, Staal didn't control his destination, as he had no clause in his contract to limit movement. Shero traded him to Carolina because Carolina offered the best package of players while also allowing the Penguins to save some cap space to put toward a free agent or two.

Staal didn't screw the Penguins. The Penguins didn't screw Staal. The system played out exactly the way it was designed to. Anyone who thinks otherwise really is being quite unrealistic.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Pitts wrote:

I think his claim centers around the premise that Staal really had no interest in signing with the Pens. That he was simply leading them to believe he would consider an offer from them when in fact he only wanted sign with Carolina.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Pens Fan Since 1970 wrote:If all 4 of the Staal's end up on the Hurricanes, will they change their name to the Carolina Sod Farmers?

No, but the team will move to Thunder Bay.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:34 pm

The Canucks didn't offer Kesler. Shero requested Kesler. Canucks said no apparently.

A slight difference.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Pitts wrote:

The Canucks didn't offer Kesler. Shero requested Kesler. Canucks said no apparently.

A slight difference.

I went back and reread the tweet. This is right.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:You know what this smells to me like? I think his brother talked him into playing in Carolina because they've got nothing going for them, so he gave him all the mumbo jumbo about how nice it would be if they both played together, without giving any thought to what it would mean for Jordan to leave Penguins.

I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing when I read this, carry on
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins