Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby burghsportsguys on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:My bad knew I was missing someone. Suter - Despres/Nisky than

Engel - Despres/Nisky

Still don't like it.

So you like Martin more than you like Suter? Because the lineup right now is exactly the one above, but with Martin in place of Suter.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:38 am

If we can't get Suter as a FA, or do a trade early on, I would like a lineup like:

Letang - Strait
Orpik - Despres
Niskanen - Bertuzzo
Engo - Love

Just to start the season, let the rookies show what they can do, then if they totally fail, do a trade around November maybe, or, if they do well, wait till December/January and then try to get what we need, then we should know what they can do, and if they are ready. I don't think something like this would make us miss the playoffs, and it gives GMRS time to make trades to fix any problems come playoff time.

So I would trade Martin to give us the best opportunity to trade during the season. It doesn't have to be those exact pairs, but a Veteran/rookie setup is what I want.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 am

JoseCuervo wrote:If they sign suter, they will likely end up dumping martin. I really don't think suter is going to be a pen next year. With michalek gone, the pens will need nisky and some young guys to contribute more. I personally think strait, bortuzzo, and despres are ready to play in the nhl.

Definitely, if Suter signs then Martin will be flipped to one of the teams that loses out on Suter (probably Minnesota cause they have 0% chance of signing him). It makes sense for Shero to hold on to Martin for now to see if he can lure Suter to the Pens. They wouldn't want to have to be counting on Depres, Strait and Morrow to fill out a third of the top 6.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 am

Id be surprised if Lovejoy is a penguin next season.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 am

burghsportsguys wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:My bad knew I was missing someone. Suter - Despres/Nisky than

Engel - Despres/Nisky

Still don't like it.

So you like Martin more than you like Suter? Because the lineup right now is exactly the one above, but with Martin in place of Suter.

No it's not. If the pens got Suter it pushes Nisky/Despres down to third pairing with Martin still up there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Martin was pretty bad, but coaching matters too. Gonchar was also horrid when he joined the Pens but by the time they won the Cup he was a crucial component of the team (and his loss was immediately evident on the power play).

I also don't know why "Engelland still has room to improve" and "he's a decent bottom-pairing defenseman" are mutually exclusive. He's not likely going to discover any well of talent at this point, but he could certainly refine what game he does have. Nothing wrong with that.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Anyone that mediocre certainly has room to improve.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Fast B wrote:Martin was pretty bad, but coaching matters too. Gonchar was also horrid when he joined the Pens but by the time they won the Cup he was a crucial component of the team (and his loss was immediately evident on the power play).

I also don't know why "Engelland still has room to improve" and "he's a decent bottom-pairing defenseman" are mutually exclusive. He's not likely going to discover any well of talent at this point, but he could certainly refine what game he does have. Nothing wrong with that.

Good points - no doubt the system/coaching contributed to Martin's poor year and he could well turn it around - just not here. His departure certainly won't be as evident as Gonchar's - there will be no voids to fill other than minutes played and whipping boy.

Engelland is a fine bottom pairing D. His game has improved to a point that Lovejoy (formerly considered the better option) is now expendable. He may not be a 19 year old sensation but his game is steadily improving well beyond dropping the gloves. The sky may not be the limit for Engelland, but his team first attitude and desire to improve can't be knocked... at least not to his face :D
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:27 pm

I still don't understand how Lovejoy was made expendable. Did I imagine him carrying the lineup spot down the stretch when the team was trying to get playoff position?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Suter's not coming here. Sorry. He's going to get bigger money offers from other teams. One of those teams is Detroit. He would also headline their defense, which he would never do here with Letang. Detroit is also perceived, incorrectly IMO, as the better "perennial contender". So why would he sign here when he can go to another team that he probably thinks he has a better (or at least equal) chance of winning with, that is in his preferred conference, will pay him more money, and make him "the guy"?
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I still don't understand how Lovejoy was made expendable. Did I imagine him carrying the lineup spot down the stretch when the team was trying to get playoff position?

I had a whole post ready to go about how Lovejoy played only 6 games in March because of injuries to either Letang, Martin or Niskanen before he hurt his own Knee and then realized this is probably sarcasm.

If not, then yes, you did imagine it :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Samsdog wrote:Suter's not coming here. Sorry. He's going to get bigger money offers from other teams. One of those teams is Detroit. He would also headline their defense, which he would never do here with Letang. Detroit is also perceived, incorrectly IMO, as the better "perennial contender". So why would he sign here when he can go to another team that he probably thinks he has a better (or at least equal) chance of winning with, that is in his preferred conference, will pay him more money, and make him "the guy"?

I think that "perennial contender" crap is fan/media fueled. The players know which teams are contenders and which ones are not.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Detroit being in the play-off year after year after year after year after year without missing a beat no matter who they really lose puts them in that "perennial contender" status.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am

meow wrote:
Samsdog wrote:Suter's not coming here. Sorry. He's going to get bigger money offers from other teams. One of those teams is Detroit. He would also headline their defense, which he would never do here with Letang. Detroit is also perceived, incorrectly IMO, as the better "perennial contender". So why would he sign here when he can go to another team that he probably thinks he has a better (or at least equal) chance of winning with, that is in his preferred conference, will pay him more money, and make him "the guy"?

I think that "perennial contender" crap is fan/media fueled. The players know which teams are contenders and which ones are not.

Not sure anyone can pick contenders for the cup in any given year. How many players\fans\analysts picked LA and NJ in the finals? There are just too many variables but I will agree some teams are better managed than others and have a better chance of being successful.
Last edited by offsides on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am

I think more people were surprised with the Kings first half of the season than the fact that they won the cup. I'll give you the Devils as EC champs though.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am

So, if we pretend for a moment that it's Monday, July 2...and Shero has just signed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter for a combined cap hit of $15,000,000...where exactly, and for what, does Martin get moved?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:53 am

sil wrote:So, if we pretend for a moment that it's Monday, July 2...and Shero has just signed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter for a combined cap hit of $15,000,000...where exactly, and for what, does Martin get moved?

Toronto. For anything they want to give us.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

Martin and next year's 2nd for someone's 7th.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Martin and next year's 2nd for someone's 7th.

:slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 pm

pekkasteele wrote:If we can't get Suter as a FA, or do a trade early on, I would like a lineup like:

Letang - Strait
Orpik - Despres
Niskanen - Bertuzzo
Engo - Love

Just to start the season, let the rookies show what they can do, then if they totally fail, do a trade around November maybe, or, if they do well, wait till December/January and then try to get what we need, then we should know what they can do, and if they are ready. I don't think something like this would make us miss the playoffs, and it gives GMRS time to make trades to fix any problems come playoff time.

So I would trade Martin to give us the best opportunity to trade during the season. It doesn't have to be those exact pairs, but a Veteran/rookie setup is what I want.

OMG! :face:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:11 pm

canaan wrote:Id be surprised if Lovejoy is a penguin next month
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins