UFAs besides the top dogs?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFAs besides the top dogs?

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 am

ffemtreed wrote:I seen too much of Semin when he played with the Caps, I want no part of him. He has no heart and soul when he plays. He is one of the main reasons the caps never won a cup, we refused to change his game and play playoff hockey when he needed to. We don't need any floater on our team playing the perimeter and looking for the pretty pass from Sid or Malkin. besides Semin has absolutely NO hockey sense whatsoever, remember he can't even see what is so special about Sid.

i actually thought semin was one of the better caps in the playoffs. I think if you get him away from Ovie, he'll be fine, not that i want him as a penguin but i think a lot of semin's problems was playing on the caps.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

darkstar57 wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:I seen too much of Semin when he played with the Caps, I want no part of him. He has no heart and soul when he plays. He is one of the main reasons the caps never won a cup, we refused to change his game and play playoff hockey when he needed to. We don't need any floater on our team playing the perimeter and looking for the pretty pass from Sid or Malkin. besides Semin has absolutely NO hockey sense whatsoever, remember he can't even see what is so special about Sid.

i actually thought semin was one of the better caps in the playoffs. I think if you get him away from Ovie, he'll be fine, not that i want him as a penguin but i think a lot of semin's problems was playing on the caps.

There were one or two series i remember that he played with passion and got his face dirty, but that was the rare exception for him. I am also concerned on how much he dissappeared when the caps changed there game from the run and gun to the D first. He was lost during that time, but I guess that could have been the coaches fault as well.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 am

I really think Semin has a bad rap amongst pens fans because he played for the caps. He's never been a slouch in the defensive zone. Like all pure scorers (Neal included) he'll go for stretches without scoring, but he's far from a perimeter player/floater.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cojac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 am

Players with Ray Shero/Nashville Connections:
Greg Zanon
Jordin Tootoo
I would look at:
Bryan Allen
Shane O'Brien
George Parros
Travis Moen
Adam Burish
Taylor Pyatt
Daniel Winnik
Brad Winchester
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:11 am

sil wrote:I really think Semin has a bad rap amongst pens fans because he played for the caps. He's never been a slouch in the defensive zone. Like all pure scorers (Neal included) he'll go for stretches without scoring, but he's far from a perimeter player/floater.

I watched him play a lot and my dislike for him is not because he played for the caps. Most of his goals are scored from the perimeter, he doesn't get the down and dirty goals. His defensive play is a question mark just because of the system he has played in. He did seem very weak though and easily got knocked off the puck when his stick was checked and he didn't win as many battles along the boards for pucks either.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 am

Simon gagne?
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am

My preferenecs:

Parise
Doan
Ott
Prust

Any combo works for me.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:18 am

Ottawa is looking to trade Gonchar for nothing. He has 1 year left at 5.5mil. Could be a decent stopgap until next season when more prospects are ready.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Ottawa is looking to trade Gonchar for nothing. He has 1 year left at 5.5mil. Could be a decent stopgap until next season when more prospects are ready.

No thanks on that
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:55 am

Caputi19 wrote:Simon gagne?

He's still signed with LA
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 am

Sheriff66 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Ottawa is looking to trade Gonchar for nothing. He has 1 year left at 5.5mil. Could be a decent stopgap until next season when more prospects are ready.

No thanks on that

actually depending on what happens in FA I wouldn't mind seeing Gonchar back here for a year, even only playing 5 or 6 minutes and PP time. Other than Letang we don't have any real PP QB's. Our 2nd PP was really inhibited by having guys like Engelland and Orpik back there all year. Nisky did a good job but was horrible lugging the puck up the ice.

Letang -- Martin
Orpik -- Despres (true shut down pair)
Gonchar -- Niskanan (eat minutes, play special teams, not a liability)

The only issue is throwing Despres into those big minutes and letting him sink or swim. He played enough last year to get used to the NHL speed, as long as he muscled up a bit this year I think he can progress very nicely in that #4 spot without having to worry about PK or PP just yet. I would like to see him get some #2 PP time 1/2 through the season if his play warrants it.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 am

I'm wondering how Malkin would play with Semin on his line
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

SolidSnake wrote:I'm wondering how Malkin would play with Semin on his line

Crusty.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I like Despres, he's going to be very good. But saying he'll make a true shutdown pairing or be logging a ton of minutes as a rookie isn't realistic. I expect him to look very good for stretches and very bad for stretches while logging minimal minutes if he makes the team.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

1) throw feces on wall
2) see if it sticks
3) repeat as needed
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Shane O'Brien now also off the market, re-upped with the Avs.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Some day his career will end due to injury. Until then, i'll be interested in seeing the Pens take a chance on him. Great talent who won't hurt you anywhere...as long as he's on the ice.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Some day his career will end due to injury. Until then, i'll be interested in seeing the Pens take a chance on him. Great talent who won't hurt you anywhere...as long as he's on the ice.

It depends on how well he'd be able to last without getting another dent in his already fragile head. Also he's still with LA for one more year I believe.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm pretty sure you're right.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Can someone fast forward us to Saturday night, say 11:59ish??? kthx
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:42 pm

ville5 wrote:Can someone fast forward us to Saturday night, say 11:59ish??? kthx

Why wouldn't you just fast forward to Sunday at 11:59am-ish instead and save yourself 12 hours of waiting?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
Sheriff66 wrote:

No thanks on that

actually depending on what happens in FA I wouldn't mind seeing Gonchar back here for a year, even only playing 5 or 6 minutes and PP time. Other than Letang we don't have any real PP QB's. Our 2nd PP was really inhibited by having guys like Engelland and Orpik back there all year. Nisky did a good job but was horrible lugging the puck up the ice.

Letang -- Martin

The only issue is throwing Despres into those big minutes and letting him sink or swim. He played enough last year to get used to the NHL speed, as long as he muscled up a bit this year I think he can progress very nicely in that #4 spot without having to worry about PK or PP just yet. I would like to see him get some #2 PP time 1/2 through the season if his play warrants it.

You want to pay Gonchar 5.5 million to play 5-6 minutes and some PP time?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

npv708 wrote:
ville5 wrote:Can someone fast forward us to Saturday night, say 11:59ish??? kthx

Why wouldn't you just fast forward to Sunday at 11:59am-ish instead and save yourself 12 hours of waiting?

Starts @noon??? WTF :slug: Cant wait another 12 hours, my head will splode.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sheriff66 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:
Sheriff66 wrote:

No thanks on that

Letang -- Martin

Yeah, that's loopy, I would rather have Niskanen on the 2nd PP
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Gaucho wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:
Sheriff66 wrote:

No thanks on that

Letang -- Martin

Its only for a year and then its off the books, if we have the cap space who cares how much we pay for him. Also take notice I qualified my post as "depending on what happens in FA". So gonchar might be plan C or D but I wouldn't let one year of his salary turn me away from someone who can help the team.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins