Kris Letang's impact on going for multiple big guns?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kris Letang's impact on going for multiple big guns?

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

Once upon a time there was a worry on how they'd squeeze everyone under the cap once they got their huge pay raises (Sid, Geno, Staal MAF).

Staal's gone and I believe Sid, Geno, MAF are at the point were their salaries will now just adjust to match the increased cap.. so although more $, it should fit in nicely.

The only guy left for a big pay raise is Letang.

Just trying to estimate things real quick in my head, it makes sense that they can go for 1 big guy / sign him to a long term contract and still have room for Letang in 2 years, but NOT 2 guys.

I just don't see how they could go out and lock up Parise / Suter (or similar big name guys) and then be able to eventually to fit in Letang's big pay-day.

I know its not sexy to look that far in advanced, but I'm sure Shero is which is why I'm expecting Shero to go for 1 big name guy and then fill in roster with 2 year contracts that will be off the books when Letang's contract runs out

I know the whole "trade Martin and can fit 2 big guns in here!" but anyone else feel as if the Letang situation will have an impact in preventing this strategy?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Kris Letang's impact on going for multiple big guns?

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 am

For all we know, two years from now Kunitz could be off the books (3.725 million) and Bennett skating on one of the top lines.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

Gaucho wrote:For all we know, two years from now Kunitz could be off the books (3.725 million) and Bennett skating on one of the top lines.

True..

I just don't see Pens ever being able to fit: Sid, Malkin, Parise, Letang, MAF AND one other big contact all together, 6 big money guys is kind of rare.. which is why I was wondering if Shero would just want 1 big $ guy and then his typical shorter flexible deals.

This is obvious all speculation / curiosity by me
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 am

I don't think there will be any problems.

#1 we have lots of young guys on D that will be taking the places of higher paid players like Martin, Nisky and Orpik.
#2 you got players like Kennedy, Cooke that can be filled with lower paid players
#3 Someone already mentioned Kunitz might be gone then as well.
#3 MAF will have either sunk or swam by then and we won't need to pay 2 million for a backup vet to motivate him and keep him sharp.

Only the pens top brass knows how they plan the future to play out, but I can say they are clearing cap space now for a reason and it isn't to accommodate Letang 2 or 3 years from now.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:33 am

ffemtreed wrote: but I can say they are clearing cap space now for a reason and it isn't to accommodate Letang 2 or 3 years from now.

Obviously, which is why I stated I see them getting 1 guy, but if they trade Martin / go for 2 big name guys could become more complicated
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17 pm

If Letang is worth it to the pens to be making $6 million+ then Shero will find a way to make it happen. There was always going to be room to keep everyone but the allocation of money to #4 defensemen, 3rd line centers, etc. is not how you want to have a team's payroll structured.

If push really does come to shove, Orpik will be let go and Letnag gets what the market price is.

I just hope in 2 years Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, Harringotn, Despres, Morrow, Maatta, Pouliot and/or Strait can rise to fill in and round out the bottom 4 with Letang and hopefully Suter as the two vets.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Gaucho wrote:For all we know, two years from now Kunitz could be off the books (3.725 million) and Bennett skating on one of the top lines.

True..

I just don't see Pens ever being able to fit: Sid, Malkin, Parise, Letang, MAF AND one other big contact all together, 6 big money guys is kind of rare.. which is why I was wondering if Shero would just want 1 big $ guy and then his typical shorter flexible deals.

What about Neal's contract? Same as MAF for a good chunk of time. There's also the possibility that one of Suter or Parise doesn't sign for long term. Granted it's a small chance, but who seriously thought that Hossa would sign a 1 year deal with Detroit when he did?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 pm

DelPen wrote:If push really does come to shove, Orpik will be let go and Letnag gets what the market price is.

This...

However, there are a lot of wildcards at play. The impact of Despres and Morrow will decide a lot of what happens. But yes, I agree with you, the Penguins would let Orpik walk. Orpik's salary is probably what would be needed to tack on to Letang's.

The other factor is the CBA. Who knows what this will do to the cap.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Doumilin, Poullet (haven't learned the new guys spelling yet): That's 5 reasons why Letang's next contract will be fit in to the salary structure. The Pens should have a constant supply of cheap talent on their defense to replace more expensive contracts.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

No way to estimate the cap, either. Could be easier than you think, or the guy we drafted 8th overall could make it moot whether we can or cant sign him.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 pm

do we fans need to panic about everything?

there are a million different things that could happen between now and then -- some we can imagine and some we probably can't.

can we just leave it at that?
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 am

DelPen wrote:I just hope in 2 years Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, Harringotn, Despres, Morrow, Maatta, Pouliot and/or Strait can rise to fill in and round out the bottom 4 with Letang and hopefully Suter as the two vets.

Would be nice, but we always seem to be in that 'win-now-mode' and everyone knows (especially LGP'ers) it's absolutely impossible for a rookie to play on a stanley cup winning team...how will anyone of these guys EVER crack the lineup!?!? :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:39 am

IanMoran wrote:

True..

There is a certain franchise stockpiling, good skating, puck moving defensemen with offensive upside. So.....don't rule that out.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins