Parise wants to stay in Jersey? Doan update.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Parise wants to stay in Jersey? Doan update.

Postby ace1 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm

At the end of NHL Live earlier today, with E.J. Hradek and Deb Placey, they reported that Parise has informed the Devils he would like to try and work out a contract to stay.
Last edited by ace1 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Parise wants to stay in Jersey?

Postby ace1 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 pm

If this is old news, I apologize.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Parise wants to stay in Jersey?

Postby ace1 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Oh yeah, they also said Shane Doan has told Phoenix he wants to explore the open market, due to uncertain ownership they speculate. Again if this is old stuff, I apologize.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Parise wants to stay in Jersey? Doan update.

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 pm

not saying he won't stick with the devils, but i do buy into the story on thehockeynews (http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... arise.html)

VIEWS: With the New Jersey franchise teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, there is no way Parise returns to the Devils, not with the kind of stability and payday that await him in any number of other cities. And who can blame him? Would you want to make a long-term commitment to an employer whose financial situation is so tenuous when you have dozens of other options available? Of course not. All things being equal, the Devils would stand an excellent chance of retaining Parise with a long-term deal, but they are not in the position to be throwing around Ilya Kovalchuk-like contracts anymore.

I'll admit I'm not acutely aware of the Devil's financial picture -- but if bankruptcy is even a remote possibility - I would be surprised Parise would open himself up to possibly not being paid every dollar he is owed. I don't know if the NHL revenue sharing covers these possibilities - but there could be a real danger for him in NJ.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 pm

ace1 wrote:At the end of NHL Live earlier today, with E.J. Hradek and Deb Placey, they reported that Parise has informed the Devils he would like to try and work out a contract to stay.

He probably won't come out and say he wants to leave, but I also think that negotiations with teams go to the last minute so who knows where he'll end up in the end.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mosby on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Is Lou Lamoriello the GM that will not talk new contract with agents during the season as a rule. Too me, it would be odd to be so close to UFA that I would want to test the market. I'd want to cover all my bases and listen to offers from my current team. With Parise's status, it not like the Devils won't wait on his decision once UFA starts.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Mosby wrote:Is Lou Lamoriello the GM that will not talk new contract with agents during the season as a rule. Too me, it would be odd to be so close to UFA that I would want to test the market. I'd want to cover all my bases and listen to offers from my current team. With Parise's status, it not like the Devils won't wait on his decision once UFA starts.

Someone here told me that Lou won't talk during season. If that's the case, then he deserves to lose all of his good players when they get to FA. That is so stupid, I have no words for it. You're right. Parise now owes it to himself to test the market. As a GM I would never allow a quality player like Parise or Staal to leave to another team, which is why communication between GM and player is key so both sides knew where the other stands. Lou has no one to blame but himself if Parise leaves.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 am

IMO, it's not impossible Parise stays with the Devils I suppose, but it just doesn't seem likely. I mean if he really wanted to play for them and they want to sign him, they would have worked it out in their previous discussions, right?

But maybe he's getting cold feet and is deciding he doesn't want to change.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 am

Doan is 35,part of me says he is to old, but his experience and leadership would of been nice to have in the Flyers series. We cracked, a guy like Guerin who would of settled the troops down would of been nice.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 am

no name wrote:Doan is 35,part of me says he is to old, but his experience and leadership would of been nice to have in the Flyers series. We cracked, a guy like Guerin who would of settled the troops down would of been nice.

Doan, at a reasonable price, would be a perfect fit for this team. He's getting older and isn't the penalty killer and huge physical presence he once was, but he's a warrior through and through. He's also a leader and will do absolutely anything it takes to win. If the Penguins lose out on Parise, I would hope Doan is their second choice, with someone like Latendresse coming in as well. You figure both players combined would/should make less than Parise alone.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 am

Doan + Suter > Parise + Martin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

Per Dave Molinari from the PG+ this morning:

...it is interesting that media members who cover several teams that, like the Penguins, would like to sign defenseman Ryan Suter and winger Zach Parise – the two headliners in a mostly poor class of guys scheduled to be unrestricted in a few days – report that management members of those clubs have privately expressed concern that the Penguins are a very real threat to land both.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:27 am

Defence21 wrote:Per Dave Molinari from the PG+ this morning:

...it is interesting that media members who cover several teams that, like the Penguins, would like to sign defenseman Ryan Suter and winger Zach Parise – the two headliners in a mostly poor class of guys scheduled to be unrestricted in a few days – report that management members of those clubs have privately expressed concern that the Penguins are a very real threat to land both.

ohhhh snap!
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 am

Shane Doan sucks.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:32 am

Must not have been too privately expressed then
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 am

That is indeed, interesting.

*Trying hard not to get hopes up*

*Hopes going up*
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 am

Pens15 wrote:

That is indeed, interesting.

*Trying hard not to get hopes up*

*Hopes going up*

yea, i feel the same way. It is almost impossible to not get excited about the notion of having both those guys on the pens roster in October.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 am

sil wrote:Doan + Suter > Parise + Martin.

Agreed. Plus Doan won't require a cap busting contract.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

The New Jersey beat writer is on Stan Savran's show right now, and said "he would like to come back to the Devils".....................BUT..........................

He really is interested in testing the FA market and is really interested in possibly playing for the Penguins.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 am

Honestly, my thoughts are that if he wanted to stay in Jersey and jersey wants him to stay, the deal would have been done by now. New Jersey has a history of not over-paying for ANYBODY and letting them walk (unless your last name is Brodeur). Parise is not going back to Jersey.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:51 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
sil wrote:Doan + Suter > Parise + Martin.

Agreed. Plus Doan won't require a cap busting contract.

Yes, but Parise + Suter (if at any reasonable cap hit) is >> any scenario involving Doan.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 am

Pitts wrote:Honestly, my thoughts are that if he wanted to stay in Jersey and jersey wants him to stay, the deal would have been done by now. New Jersey has a history of not over-paying for ANYBODY and letting them walk (unless your last name is Brodeur or Kovalchuk). Parise is not going back to Jersey.

Fixed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 am

I'm guessing the NHL network was just referencing Parise responding to NJ reporters that "yea sure, NJ is still in it even if I go to FA"... what else was he going to say? Just a politically respect response imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am

Land Parise and Suter
Trade Martin
Sign Doan to a Guerin like deal in hopes of winning a Cup.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Greg Wyshynski says via his PuckDaddy chat:

Parise's deal, I wager, will look like Brad Richards'

That's 9 years, $60 million, $6.7 mil cap hit.

For the record, via the chat, here are predictions:

Nick Cotsonika:
Suter, Detroit. Parise, Pittsburgh. "I don't know if Parise will take less to go to Pittsburgh, but I could see it. And "less" is relative. "

Wyshynski:
Suter - MIN; Parise - PIT; "RE: Parise and Pittsburgh discount -- I think it could be like Niedermayer where Lou offers more $$$ but Parise still leaves. "
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins