Pens and UPMC building new training facility in Cranberry

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens and UPMC building new training facility in Cranberry

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 am

This is exciting for me cause its only about 2 miles from where I live :)

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/loc ... 42087/?p=0
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens and UPMC building new training facility in Cranberr

Postby steelhammer on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am

What are the property tax rates in Cranberry?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 am

Not sure, luckily I pay taxes to Adams Twp lol
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

Bulter County taxes for Cranberry twp are really good. I dont know the exact number but its the cheapest around by still being close to the city. I am in the North Hills and work downtown so looking for a house in Cranberry has always been on my mind if I want to drive further each day. Butler County line starts around the mall/walmart area up there.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am

Property taxes there are lower than anywhere in Allegheny County. The wife and I were looking at buying a house there for almost a year but every time a house came on the market it was gone in less than 24 hours. The area is BOOMING and it also has good school districts and lots of young hockey players while being close to the city.

I read this article and am very excited about what UPMC and the Pittsburgh Penguins are doing here. This is going to be a major step forward for jobs in the Pittsburgh Metro Area, Hockey, and keeping/attracticting talent.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sheriff66 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 am

This is awesome news, just getting to Southpointe from east of Pittsburgh is a PITA, plus I work in Cranberry
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 am

That sounds more like Adams township than Cranberry.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bathgate on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 am

This is good because it will put Pittsburgh on the world map as a key center of hockey activity with respect to medical treatment, rehabilitation, and training of top players and thus will further cement this area as a hockey hotbed.

This is bad because it means the Pens will not build a practice facility adjacent to the CEC nor in the inner city, an area that needs a rink for youth hockey since the closure of the southside rink.

It sounds like UPMC wanted to go north, but I question whether such a facility shouldn’t be placed close to the airport if it is expected to be visited by players from all over the continent.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spiritfan on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am

The Maglev will get people to and fro some day.
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 am

Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:While the Penguins hold the development rights to the 28 acres of land Downtown on which the former Civic Arena sat, the team chose Cranberry for the practice rink and sports performance complex "because our partner wanted to be in the north. We thought to be a good partner we'd go up north," Mr. Morehouse said.

Thank god. Putting one near the Consol as part of the new development wouldn't have made any sense. Why would any team want their practice arena so conveniently close? Driving on 79/279 is a character building exercise for any player who wants to live near the city.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sheriff66 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Bathgate wrote:This is good because it will put Pittsburgh on the world map as a key center of hockey activity with respect to medical treatment, rehabilitation, and training of top players and thus will further cement this area as a hockey hotbed.

This is bad because it means the Pens will not build a practice facility adjacent to the CEC nor in the inner city, an area that needs a rink for youth hockey since the closure of the southside rink.

It sounds like UPMC wanted to go north, but I question whether such a facility shouldn’t be placed close to the airport if it is expected to be visited by players from all over the continent.

Just a shot up 79 north from the airport, 30 mins or so away
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 am

A big reason Cranberry TWP is as successful as it is is because of the lower taxes being right over the line from Allegheny.

This is interesting in many others ways, however.

I wonder if additional tax breaks are in the cards. That is a major reason why Westinghouse built their new campus in Cranberry.

Blade Runners in Warrendale is about 10 minutes away from the proposed site of this new place. They recently were for sale, but with community support they decided to keep the rink open. If this new place has possibly "4 sheets of ice" - I wonder if this is the end for Blade Runners and their 2 rinks.

Also intersting that they are building it North because UPMC wants it to be North. I wonder what the plan is there with the whole Highmark/UPMC tenuous situation. In the North Hills, there is UPMC Passavant. In Cranberry already is UPMC Passavant Cranberry (so there will be a full hospital real close to this new building). I wonder why they want even more of a presence. If Highmark and UPMC ever split, people in the North are already screwed because I believe Grove City would be the closest non UPMC hospital. Other areas at least have non-upmc choices - be it West Penn AGH or other private hospitals.

Traveling in and out of the city via Parkway North is the easiest/fastest way in and out.

Also, as far as players from around the world/US using the facility...a lot of new development has been happening in Cranberry (Westinghouse, for example)...new hotels have already been built in the area (new one just opened or is about to right where this is going to be) on top of the already newer ones (rte 228 has blown up over the years) and the existing older ones in the area. A new 2 story Dick's Sporting Goods is being built on 228 right now as well. Tons of restaurants and other shops right on 228.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48 am

Hmmm that's pretty close to me. I do believe I'll get to go see some practices & some camps.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:07 am

I'm really excited about this. I might just be being selfish though since I live a few miles away...
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

JeffDFD wrote:Blade Runners in Warrendale is about 10 minutes away from the proposed site of this new place. They recently were for sale, but with community support they decided to keep the rink open. If this new place has possibly "4 sheets of ice" - I wonder if this is the end for Blade Runners and their 2 rinks.

I think the quote means that Cranberry as a town can support 4 sheets - a few at the new complex and 2 at BR.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby drnort on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Bathgate wrote:

Other than putting it in Moon/Coraopolis, there probably is not an easier place in Pittsburgh to get to besides Cranberry from the airport. The new ramp from 79 to 376 makes it extremely convenient.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby drnort on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:That sounds more like Adams township than Cranberry.

Adams Township does not begin until you get closer to where Siba is located (Seven Fields). The entire area of shopping near Westinghouse is all still Cranberry Township.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Bathgate wrote:This is good because it will put Pittsburgh on the world map as a key center of hockey activity with respect to medical treatment, rehabilitation, and training of top players and thus will further cement this area as a hockey hotbed.

I agree wholeheartedly, as a Central Pittsburgh Hockey alum, our home rink was Neville Ice Arena in South Side. We had some good teams for "city kids" back in the day.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Awesome for me, I have never gone to see them practice because Southpointe is all the way across town from me. Cranberry's only 10 minutes away so I'll definitely come out a few times (if they still have open practices).
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm

I know what we can call it! The Kovalchuck/Parise/Doan/Suter/Parrento sports complex!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
Also intersting that they are building it North because UPMC wants it to be North. I wonder what the plan is there with the whole Highmark/UPMC tenuous situation. In the North Hills, there is UPMC Passavant. In Cranberry already is UPMC Passavant Cranberry (so there will be a full hospital real close to this new building). I wonder why they want even more of a presence. If Highmark and UPMC ever split, people in the North are already screwed because I believe Grove City would be the closest non UPMC hospital. Other areas at least have non-upmc choices - be it West Penn AGH or other private hospitals.

Off-topic, but Heritage Valley Beaver is like 20 minutes from the proposed arena site.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

Off-topic, but Heritage Valley Beaver is like 20 minutes from the proposed arena site.

Forgot about that one...but still - UPMC Passavant Cranberry is right there at the intersection of 19 and 228 - 2 mins from this new place.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Blade Runners in Warrendale is about 10 minutes away from the proposed site of this new place. They recently were for sale, but with community support they decided to keep the rink open. If this new place has possibly "4 sheets of ice" - I wonder if this is the end for Blade Runners and their 2 rinks.

I think the quote means that Cranberry as a town can support 4 sheets - a few at the new complex and 2 at BR.

I don't know. Blade Runners was going to sell and is in a much less desireable location compared to this new place. I can't see Blade Runners staying around after this place is built. Not sure where rinks make a lot of their money, but if this new place has public skates - it is in an easier location and closer to people's houses and other businesses/restaurants...plus it would be newer and nicer - BR would lose that battle. And if the new place is going to compete in the local stick time/beer league and High School hockey game market...BR won't stand a chance.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Bethel Park Bladerunners was allegedly bought by the YMCA, they will be turning one sheet of ice into gym and basketball court...they wanted to take both sides but the Penguins protested it, from what I have been told. So perhaps the new facility will be beneficial to the Warrendale Bladerunners if the Pens have their back so to speak.

It doesn't make sense though so who the heck knows
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Corvidae wrote:
Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:While the Penguins hold the development rights to the 28 acres of land Downtown on which the former Civic Arena sat, the team chose Cranberry for the practice rink and sports performance complex "because our partner wanted to be in the north. We thought to be a good partner we'd go up north," Mr. Morehouse said.

Thank god. Putting one near the Consol as part of the new development wouldn't have made any sense. Why would any team want their practice arena so conveniently close? Driving on 79/279 is a character building exercise for any player who wants to live near the city.

Come on, all those guys live in Sewickley anyway :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins