Qualifying Offers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Qualifying Offers

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 pm

The Pens just told me that Marc Cheverie was not tendered a qualifying offer and is set to be unrestricted on July 1.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:The Pens just told me that Marc Cheverie was not tendered a qualifying offer and is set to be unrestricted on July 1.

So does this mean Fleury's job is safe now? :wink:
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Defence21 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The Pens just told me that Marc Cheverie was not tendered a qualifying offer and is set to be unrestricted on July 1.

So does this mean Fleury's job is safe now? :wink:

:lol: Coincidence that after Fleury and Vokoun that every other goalie in the organization has been let go...except for Patrick Killeen, that suggests to me that he is the unquestioned (as it is, unquestionable) heir apparent to the Vokoun throne!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

What is a possible explanation for that after acquiring him in a trade just days ago? Was this trade before they drafted the 2 rookie goalies?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:

What is a possible explanation for that after acquiring him in a trade just days ago? Was this trade before they drafted the 2 rookie goalies?

Phoenix needed to get under the contract limit?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:

Phoenix needed to get under the contract limit?

Yes, that's likely the reason...which I believed I mentioned earlier in this thread (but it could have been one of the other 90 threads about the offseason in PR right now).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Sure phoenix needed to get rid of a contract, but y would we take their trash in a trade if we didn't want him? Very confusing.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm

ville5 wrote:Sure phoenix needed to get rid of a contract, but y would we take their trash in a trade if we didn't want him? Very confusing.

But, that's just it...we didn't. It's not confusing.

Maloney: Look, Ray, we'll do Ruopp and a 3rd for Michalek but we're at 50 right now...registry won't let it go through unless you take one back...
Ray: No problem, who's got an expiring contract that isn't qualified...?
Maloney: Cheverie.
Ray: Ok.

Then you don't qualify Cheverie and then that's the end of it...it's not like it costs anything (you don't pay players in the offseason), we had his rights for a few days so a deal could go through...and now he's gone...couldn't be less of a big deal...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:J. Bomb has a great wrapup of who/what/why RFAs were/were not qualified: http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=4724

A good read, as always, especially if you aren't a daily follower of the WBS Pens.

Yo, what did CPZ's wife say on twitter??
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:38 am

ville5 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:J. Bomb has a great wrapup of who/what/why RFAs were/were not qualified: http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=4724

A good read, as always, especially if you aren't a daily follower of the WBS Pens.

Yo, what did CPZ's wife say on twitter??

she basically blasted the Pens for their decision making, saying that her husband deserved to be recalled over players like Street and Petersen. She never mentioned either of them by name, but it was during the same time that they were recalled and CPZ was left in Wheeling. What's funny about the whole thing is that he eventually did get recalled by WBS, but several hours later he was "loaned" to Cincy for two players.

More info on it:

OK, here’s the details on the Casey Pierro-Zabotel transaction from today.

He was loaned to Cincinnati of the ECHL, but Wilkes-Barre/Scranton retains his AHL rights and Pittsburgh retains his NHL rights. In return, the Wheeling Nailers get two forwards, Sam D’Agostino and Chris Minella. They’re both rookies in their first year out of college (D’Agostino from UMass-Lowell and Minella from Notre Dame) and they both have cracked the 10-goal mark so far this season.

“He’s a young kid in his second year playing in the Coast and it’s a change of scenery,” Pittsburgh assistant general manager Jason Botterill said. “He’s going in the right direction, but to be in the same place for two years, it’s a situation where they get a couple of players back who can make the team better and give them more of a physical, grind-it-out style and that’s what the scouts and the coaches in Wheeling wanted to do.”

Also, many of you know there was some Internet buzz about Pierro-Zabotel last week due to some Twitter comments attributed to his wife. I can’t imagine it was a coincidence that he was loaned out a few days later, but hey, that’s just me talking.

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=3620

and TPB's post, which is a little more detailed and contains some of her tweets, which even included some tweets directed at Petersen
http://www.thepensblog.com/wilkes/wbs/w ... s-you.html

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4o6frZEnR-s/TUs79 ... 477266.jpg
Pic of the tweets that are referenced. Won't [img] the pic because of her language.

CPZ has since been traded out of "this (charcoal) organization" and spent the last season with Bakersfield, where he finished 11th on the team in goals scored despite leading the team in games played. I hope that he at least thanked Evander Kane for making him look like a potential NHL player while playing in Vancouver.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins