Crosby's Next Contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby's Next Contract

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Why do some people insist on pretending that Sid's injury situation never happened?

For one, we don't know that he'll be the same player as pre-injury. It was widely commented on during this comeback that he was avoiding contact to the detriment of his game. I'm sure some will deny that that happened, but it did.

Then there is great risk that the concussion problems aren't fully behind him. And no, it's not as simple as him retiring and poof goes his contract. This has been explained in multiple threads but I guess it needs to be done again.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Why do people keep acting like Sid's injury situation is a gigantic humongous deal?

Plenty of other guys in the league (Bergeron, Bouchard, Perron) have had problems too. They're still playing, last I checked.

Sid is the greatest player in the last 10 years. Bar none. Give him the money.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Pens15 wrote:Why do some people insist on pretending that Sid's injury situation never happened?

For one, we don't know that he'll be the same player as pre-injury. It was widely commented on during this comeback that he was avoiding contact to the detriment of his game. I'm sure some will deny that that happened, but it did.

Then there is great risk that the concussion problems aren't fully behind him. And no, it's not as simple as him retiring and poof goes his contract. This has been explained in multiple threads but I guess it needs to be done again.

Don't know dude... In terms of production, Sid had an even HIGHER points per game when he came back and if most are to be believed, he wasn't even at 100 percent yet in terms of conditioning.

Sounds to me that the guy is fine and tweeked his game to compensate for the lack of "hockey shape".
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 4:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why do people keep acting like Sid's injury situation is a gigantic humongous deal?

Plenty of other guys in the league (Bergeron, Bouchard, Perron) have had problems too. They're still playing, last I checked.

Sid is the greatest player in the last 10 years. Bar none. Give him the money.

Didn't Bouchard just get jacked up again last year? Even if those guys have come back OK, they're still a bit tenuous and I bet most teams would hesitate to give them a lot of term and money.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Bioshock wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Why do some people insist on pretending that Sid's injury situation never happened?

Don't know dude... In terms of production, Sid had an even HIGHER points per game when he came back and if most are to be believed, he wasn't even at 100 percent yet in terms of conditioning.

Sounds to me that the guy is fine and tweeked his game to compensate for the lack of "hockey shape".

Yeah, the points were there but eyeball test, he wasn't the same. Hockey shape doesn't explain the soft perimeter play. That was never Sid before.

All I'm saying is there is enough reason for concern to make this hardly the no brainer that some are suggesting.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cr@zy871 on Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Pens15 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

Yeah, the points were there but eyeball test, he wasn't the same. Hockey shape doesn't explain the soft perimeter play. That was never Sid before.

All I'm saying is there is enough reason for concern to make this hardly the no brainer that some are suggesting.

You could also make the argument that Sid had elevated point totals because he was coming in fresh (maybe not in game shape) at the 60+ game mark... So while other players were on the decline from fatigue/injury that takes place over the course of a season, Crosby was just starting his... Not saying this is the case, but that you could make the argument. :)
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 16, 2012 6:11 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Sid is the greatest player in the last 10 years. Bar none. Give him the money.

Pay heem. Pay this man his myunny...

Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Can we ask the same question about Staals health issues the last 3 seasons? Same can be said with Malkin's knee right?

Staal could be one PK Subban skate cut away from amputation. Malkin could be on more knee on knee collision from being Cam Neely or Pavel Bure?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Haven't read the thread, but I'm curious as to why it's 3 pages...the discussion would go something like this if I was Ray Shero...

"So how much?"
[response]
"Ok. Sign this."

If he's hurt, it sucks...if he's gone, we're in tough shape. Most any team in the league would slide him a blank check and ask him to fill it in...and we get first dibs. No brainer.

I hope he's a Penguin for life and has a long and fulfilling career.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm not sure how smart it is business sense to offer Sid an 8 year contract or something like that. I could see Shero offering Sid the same deal he is finishing up. Both term and dollars...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 pm

CERV96 wrote:

Can we ask the same question about Staals health issues the last 3 seasons? Same can be said with Malkin's knee right?

Staal could be one PK Subban skate cut away from amputation. Malkin could be on more knee on knee collision from being Cam Neely or Pavel Bure?

Do you really think concussions are no different? Obviously they are a special case.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Yeah, more people come back from them and finish out there careers. So many do that that we don't even know how many people suffered them during their careers. Its not some synthetic disease that has just been born in the past decade.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, more people come back from them and finish out there careers. So many do that that we don't even know how many people suffered them during their careers. Its not some synthetic disease that has just been born in the past decade.

Huh? Not even sure where to start with that bizarre take. There are more than enough guys that had their careers cut short, to raise legitimate concern. The Lindros brothers and Savard right off the very top of my head.

So because Bibsy had his "bell rung" 8 times and played through it, and now rambles like an idiot in the booth, that should reassure us, is the jist of what you're saying?

Statement: Crosby's current situation with his head is more tenuous than Malkin's knee, or Staal's foot, or any other comparable injury. Go ahead and dispute that, but if you can do so without looking like a moron, I'll be impressed.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 16, 2012 7:41 pm

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/15/le ... ds-trainer

O’Brien watched as Crosby struggled with post-concussion symptoms for most of 2011.
He tried a comeback in November, but that ended after eight games and an accidental elbow to Crosby’s head. He returned once again in March and finished the season healthy, but O’Brien admits they aren’t out of the woods just yet.
“It’s one of those injuries that you’re never really washing your hands of,” O’Brien said.
“We’re always trying to re-check his data, re-test him and make sure if there are any issues they’re treating right away.”

from Sid's trainer.
ps~ the photo used is not recent. Malone is in back of Sidney. Funny how news outlets will use whatever photo available. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Pens15 wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

Do you really think concussions are no different? Obviously they are a special case.

I am in the boat that it was more of a neck injury this season than a concussion. I am by no means a doctor but it seemed to me that once the neck was proporly treated the "concussion-like" symptoms went away. It didn't really look like the hits he took in the Boston game were as big as the Steakl(sp) hit. Let's not forget he continued to play after taking multiple punches to the head from Hartnell and Giroux in game 3, a collision with Malkin in game 5, and a hit from Giroux in game 6. If you think that he was playing with symptoms that is your opinion but I just don't see Crosby as one of those players who would lie about symptoms going through what he has been through the past 1.5 years.

Bottom line is Sid sells tickets and merchandise weather he has a concussion or not. You pay him what he wants. My honest opinion is he gets a raise but not the cap max. I will take a quote from the book breakaway.

Tom McMillan wrote:We have just earned the right to draft Sidney Crosby! We just got our new arena!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm

If you're right about the neck injury, then I could potentially buy it. I hope that is the case, but I kind of doubt it based on the comments that Crosby was making around the time of his 2nd comeback. Who knows though, that certainly would be the best case.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

Sounding like a career-long contract at $9 million per...would be terrific!

Dreger: $100 million contract at $9 million per or thereabouts...

:thumb: :) :thumb: :) :fist: :) :thumb: :fist: :) :!:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am

So if it's around $9 million and is also $100 million toal it should be 11 or 12 years.

Hey, if we only need to spend an extra $1 million to keep him per year t the cap hit then awesome.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am

Wonderful news on Sid's impending contract extension. No matter how down I may be on the Pens at this time, the knowledge that Sid will essentially spend the rest of his career in Pittsburgh is awesome. Most teams aren't lucky enough to have a true superstar like him, many of those that do aren't lucky enough to keep them. And this goes for pro sports in general, not just hockey.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am

Yep, we have been saying this for weeks. Crosby, 9 million per year. Huge discount. Amazing...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am

mikey287 wrote:Sounding like a career-long contract at $9 million per...would be terrific!

10 years?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am

SolidSnake wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Sounding like a career-long contract at $9 million per...would be terrific!

10 years?

Probably 12
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am

mikey287 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

10 years?

Probably 12

wow awesome
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am

I'm actually hoping for a 10 year only contract. He's 24 until August. In 10 years he will be 34 still going into July. Thats when you can sign them before 35 and they can retire at anytime to take the cap hit off the books.

But also now that I'm thinking about it signing him until 36-37 might work just as well.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 am

Important part of this: there's a lot of talk in league circles that maximum contract length will be an issue in the new CBA (hopefully set for September 15th). Crosby might be one of the last to be grandfathered in. Gotta get the big deal done now before they might be out-lawed. Though, I doubt Crosby's is too "creative" because it won't have him playing until he's 46...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins