What should GMRS pay Parise?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What should GMRS pay Parise?

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I've always thought Parise was the ideal winger for Sid. I totally agree with Dejan: reward Sid and sign Parise to any contract < 10 years < 8.7 m per.

Signing Suter would make this team better right now (than Parise); but I think long-term, with the defensive pipeline primed to go, signing Parise now makes more sense. He's a rarer asset. Signing both seems like overkill, like a drunken sailor, like Glen Sather... it never really works to build through free agency. The team has built its foundation on Crosby, Malkin, and now it's defensive pipeline. Put that to use. Give Despres and Dumoulin and Morrow a shot at making the team and contributing now. Sign the long lost winger for Sid that Shero's never been able to find.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

I'm expecting Pens to offer Parise something in neighborhood of 10 years, $75-80 million.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib

Hearing don't look for huge front loaded or bonus offer from ‪#pens‬ but expect many years and btwn $7-8 M on ‪#PariseWatch‬ offer Sunday
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:12 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

I'm expecting Pens to offer Parise something in neighborhood of 10 years, $75-80 million.

Hearing don't look for huge front loaded or bonus offer from ‪#pens‬ but expect many years and btwn $7-8 M on ‪#PariseWatch‬ offer Sunday

Dammit! You beat me to it!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:14 pm

This unwillingness to frontload thing has me a little worried. Because you know that there will be teams more than willing to frontload, and it seems like that's something these guys prefer to have.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Pens15 wrote:This unwillingness to frontload thing has me a little worried. Because you know that there will be teams more than willing to frontload, and it seems like that's something these guys prefer to have.

But you can't frontload too heavily (see Luongo's rejected contract)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm

He wants $80M (as if that isn't bad enough) and it to be front loaded?
I'm not saying that's actually true, but good lord...this desire to spend ANY AMOUNT AS IS NECESSARY is getting out of control.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:24 pm

columbia wrote:He wants $80M (as if that isn't bad enough) and it to be front loaded?
I'm not saying that's actually true, but good lord...this desire to spend ANY AMOUNT AS IS NECESSARY is getting out of control.

I highly doubt that. Shero wouldn't be offering something he couldn't afford. All we see is 80 million and then freak out. This guy is worth it and Shero won't give the kind of cash that won't allow him to sign Geno and the others.

You also have to take into account that Martin and Orpik won't be here when Geno's new deal kicks in and Letang is due. You have 8.75 million right there extra.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Give him 10 for 80 and hope he "wants to play here"
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Bioshock wrote:
columbia wrote:He wants $80M (as if that isn't bad enough) and it to be front loaded?

I highly doubt that. Shero wouldn't be offering something he couldn't afford. All we see is 80 million and then freak out. This guy is worth it and Shero won't give the kind of cash that won't allow him to sign Geno and the others.

You also have to take into account that Martin and Orpik won't be here when Geno's new deal kicks in and Letang is due. You have 8.75 million right there extra.

And you probably see Kunitz take a cut after this contract, should he even be resigned.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelershark on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:37 pm

6 years 45 million. take it or leave it.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GeoTank on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:42 pm

7.5-8.0 mil/year 4-12 years , 8-10yrs prefered
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:02 pm

If I'm Shero I let Parise name his price with the caveat the deal is only for 5 years. If we are paying Crosby/Parise/Malkin all ~$9 when they are 37...that is a recipe for disaster.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 pm

#pens offer for #PariseWatch would be biggest to a UFA in team history, I'm told. High was 7 years, above $49 M to Hossa (2008)

I'm behind GM Shero; he makes a solid offer, if parise says no... go to the next plan.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scpensfan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If I'm Shero I let Parise name his price with the caveat the deal is only for 5 years. If we are paying Crosby/Parise/Malkin all ~$9 when they are 37...that is a recipe for disaster.

If our biggest problem is overpaying Crosby/Malkin/Pairse when they're 37, that's a GREAT problem to have. Worry about 2020 a little closer to 2020. Go about the business of winning Cups between now and then.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If I'm Shero I let Parise name his price with the caveat the deal is only for 5 years. If we are paying Crosby/Parise/Malkin all ~$9 when they are 37...that is a recipe for disaster.

What do you think the cap will be in ten years? While I don't know either, I would bet that the % of the cap that Geno, Sid, and maybe Parise take in 10 years will be signficantly less than what it will be in the next year or two. So the bottom line is I wouldn't worry.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm

100 BILLION DOLLARS! Not a penny less.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:28 pm

penny lane wrote:
#pens offer for #PariseWatch would be biggest to a UFA in team history, I'm told. High was 7 years, above $49 M to Hossa (2008)

I'm behind GM Shero; he makes a solid offer, if parise says no... go to the next plan.

If he comes here, it will not be for the biggest offer, 10 years/80 million is definitely the top end for the Pens.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Regardless of where Parise signs, he'll be cashing out.

Spoiler:
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:32 pm

columbia wrote:Meh...I'm just really suspicious about maintaining a balanced team, through spending like a drunken sailor on UFAs.

I'm actually terrified about how Shero is going to spend 15 million if he doesn't land Suter and Parise. I'm having nightmares about guys like Sykora and Sullivan.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Sullivan was money for the Pens. He just isn't going to rough anyone up because he is not a big dude. In fact, I may be bigger than him...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:44 pm

I really hope if we are going to throw 7 or 8 million at an UFA, it's Suter before Parise.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I really hope if we are going to throw 7 or 8 million at an UFA, it's Suter before Parise.

I totally disagree with you...but that's in large part due to the fact that I don't think Ryan Suter is that phenomenal of a player. Never saw the huge deal with him.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:03 pm

What I always find amazing is the number of people who try to cap manage with the Pens money. Burkle and Lemeiux pay people to do that. They pay Shero to manage that. If you don't like who the Pens are after or who they sign; that is one thing, but don't worry about managing it. It is not like Shero is going to sign Parise and Suter and then say "Oh #$%*#! We just screwed ourselves!" Not going to happen. They will evaluate and offer what they want, if it is enough, then they're here if not...Plan B or C or whatever. As much as some of us think; it isn't our money.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:06 pm

saints11 wrote:What I always find amazing is the number of people who try to cap manage with the Pens money. Burkle and Lemeiux pay people to do that. They pay Shero to manage that. If you don't like who the Pens are after or who they sign; that is one thing, but don't worry about managing it. It is not like Shero is going to sign Parise and Suter and then say "Oh #$%*#! We just screwed ourselves!" Not going to happen. They will evaluate and offer what they want, if it is enough, then they're here if not...Plan B or C or whatever. As much as some of us think; it isn't our money.

but it's cool to talk about...hence the purpose of a message board.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Matthew Monstar on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:19 pm

pens2005 wrote:
saints11 wrote:What I always find amazing is the number of people who try to cap manage with the Pens money. Burkle and Lemeiux pay people to do that. They pay Shero to manage that. If you don't like who the Pens are after or who they sign; that is one thing, but don't worry about managing it. It is not like Shero is going to sign Parise and Suter and then say "Oh #$%*#! We just screwed ourselves!" Not going to happen. They will evaluate and offer what they want, if it is enough, then they're here if not...Plan B or C or whatever. As much as some of us think; it isn't our money.

but it's cool to talk about...hence the purpose of a message board.

Right, god forbid we discuss hypothetical options for the team as fans.

What do some people want us to discuss on this message board?
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins