Here's an idea- Go into camp with what we have now

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Here's an idea- Go into camp with what we have now

Postby Psychlone on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:43 pm

I know a lot of people want the Pens to sign ZP or RS but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the team to just re-sign Sullivan and go into the season with what they have now. Despite losing Jordan Staal, I don't think this team is going to be hurting for goal scoring,especially with the addition of Brandon Sutter who will probably get almost as many as Staal. The Penguins have already improved the backup goalie position as well as restocked the farm with young D and goalie prospects. Why not see how some of the young D look in training camp and then you can always make a trade or two during the season or at the deadline if need be? Just because the Pens have cap space doesn't mean they have to spend it all now.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Here's an idea- Go into camp with what we have now

Postby thepittman on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah lets just leave a gaping hole in the salary cap for no reason
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm

thepittman wrote:Yeah lets just leave a gaping hole in the salary cap for no reason

Well, IF Parise doesn't sign, I wouldn't want Shero to fill that space up with **** players. Rather do nothing/make the smart move or two than waste space if we don't get Parise.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

There are players out there that can make this team better on one year deals. They have too much cap space to not add something at this point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah. I have no problem with him leaving 6-7 million salary cap at the deadline but you can still sign 2 solid players and have that $$ laying around come March
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm

As it stands right now, the Pens have exactly 40 players under contract. This includes prospects like Morrow, Harrington, and Uher who are all still under 20 (thus likely to remain in junior) and Kuhnhackl who could remain in junior as an over-ager. It also includes Patrick Killeen, who will remain in the ECHL behind Zatkoff and Thiessen. The breakdown:

23 Forwards
12 Defensemen
5 Goalies

There are still some holes that need to be filled before camp is even a consideration.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GenoMachino71 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

might as well spend a good chuck on the money, even if not on great players.... as long as theyre not multi year deals

if the Pens miss out on Parise and Suter, I'd probably bring back Sullivan on a 1 yr deal, and I would try to add a couple of veterans on 1 year deals, similar to what they did with Satan and Fedotenko

if they dont work out, theyre gone after the season anyway.... 2 guys making anywhere from $2-3 million on 1 yr deals wont hurt them in the long run... and maybe they get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.... Satan and Fedotenko were pretty mediocre, but Feds at least had a pretty good postseason and Satan contributed to winning a Stanley Cup in a 4th line role.... I'll always remember his breakaway goal in game 1 vs Carolina coming out of the box and his fight with Patrick Eaves at the end of game 2

BUT

If the Penguins miss out on Parise/Suter, I dont expect Shero to take this route.... I think he'll be active in the trade market and look to make a move or 2
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Burkle should use the money to make Sudden Death 2: When Will Praise and Suter Sign
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Important to note that even some of the "more key" depth guys (Tangradi, Bortuzzo, Sneep) are still unsigned. IIRC all 3 have been qualified, but they can turn down the offer... it's simply a necessity to protect their RFA status.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Psychlone wrote:I don't think this team is going to be hurting for goal scoring,especially with the addition of Brandon Sutter who will probably get almost as many as Staal.

staal will get between 30 and 40. sutter will get between 15 and 20. there's a giant gaping gap between our 3rd line last year and our 3rd line this year.

sure, sign sully and call it a day. i agree with that. but this team is worse than it was at the end of last year, despite not losing anyone that matters to free agency.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:52 pm

We'll see how this plays out, but dumping ZM could prove to be a very bad move.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby seabiscuit on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm

columbia wrote:We'll see how this plays out, but dumping ZM could prove to be a very bad move.

:thumb: indeed and for basically nothin
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thepittman wrote:Yeah lets just leave a gaping hole in the salary cap for no reason

Well, IF Parise doesn't sign, I wouldn't want Shero to fill that space up with **** players. Rather do nothing/make the smart move or two than waste space if we don't get Parise.

So you think we should do nothing, sign Zach Parise, or do something smart? I agree! :pop:

Lots of FA's left, including Ryan Suter. I would like to see GMRS win one of these.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 pm

We can't just go into camp with this roster. As some mentioned, we have holes that need to be filled.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:We can't just go into camp with this roster. As some mentioned, we have holes that need to be filled.

michalek would be a pretty good option for that #4 dman spot
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Psychlone wrote:I don't think this team is going to be hurting for goal scoring,especially with the addition of Brandon Sutter who will probably get almost as many as Staal.

staal will get between 30 and 40. sutter will get between 15 and 20. there's a giant gaping gap between our 3rd line last year and our 3rd line this year.

sure, sign sully and call it a day. i agree with that. but this team is worse than it was at the end of last year, despite not losing anyone that matters to free agency.

The gap is not nearly as large as you make it out to be. Staal's best year as a 3rd line center was 22 goals. In the seasons where he got 29 and 25 (in 62), he wasn't playing 3rd line minutes and his shooting pct was 22.1% and 16.8%. Those don't pass the eye test at all as Staal is nowhere in the company of players who can shoot at that rate over the course of a season. He had a lot of puck luck in those two seasons as his other seasons ranged from 6.6% to 13.1%. I'd be surprised if he ever scored 30 goals and shocked if he threatened 35. He will never, EVER see anything close to 40, ever. The dropoff between his 3rd line numbers and Sutter's will be a lot less than people expect.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joker10277 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17 pm

everyone seems to forget that sullivan was basically an empty sweater for the first two months of the season last year, dude can't play a regular shift , too small, plus sid deserves better.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:We can't just go into camp with this roster. As some mentioned, we have holes that need to be filled.

michalek would be a pretty good option for that #4 dman spot

You think Phoenix would ever part with him? Maybe we could trade Tarnstrom for Michalek straight up!
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:29 pm

steelhammer wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

The gap is not nearly as large as you make it out to be. Staal's best year as a 3rd line center was 22 goals. In the seasons where he got 29 and 25 (in 62), he wasn't playing 3rd line minutes and his shooting pct was 22.1% and 16.8%. Those don't pass the eye test at all as Staal is nowhere in the company of players who can shoot at that rate over the course of a season. He had a lot of puck luck in those two seasons as his other seasons ranged from 6.6% to 13.1%. I'd be surprised if he ever scored 30 goals and shocked if he threatened 35. He will never, EVER see anything close to 40, ever. The dropoff between his 3rd line numbers and Sutter's will be a lot less than people expect.

Come on now. Staal is a shoe-in for thirty goals. Forty goals? Ehhh, that's a stretch, but I think thirty goals should be expected. Yeah, he did got a lot of minutes on the Penguins, but he's going to put in more prominent roles in Carolina. He's probably going to see a lot more PP time and playing twenty minutes a game on third line vs. twenty minutes in a second line role is a much bigger difference.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Our fowards lets face it Duper, Cooke and Kunitz all had career years. Staal was on pace for a career season. led the league in goals for and only had Sid for a hand full of games. Neal come out of no where to get 40 . ALl great an nice to see the pens scoring almost 5 goals a game at the end of the season.

Look at the playoffs... look real hard. Do we need molre offence. We need a defence that can stop the likes of Jagr, Hartnell and Giroux. That comes with a team commitment to defence and a different kind of denfencman.

We don't need goal scoring, we need defence, that comes from our forwards and defencemen playing the right way.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 pm

If for some reason we go into camp with this cap space, it would most certainly send the wrong message to the team and the fans. I am not advocating Shero spend to just spend, but that Michalek move would certainly look suspect if nothing get's used in that space. Michalek was not our problem last year.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:If for some reason we go into camp with this cap space, it would most certainly send the wrong message to the team and the fans. I am not advocating Shero spend to just spend, but that Michalek move would certainly look suspect if nothing get's used in that space. Michalek was not our problem last year.

I agree with you considering he could have moved Michalek after securing either Parise or Suter. He could have gone 10% over the cap without any issue from the league.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Sidney scored 8 goals last season, so I figure that will make up the difference between Staal and Sutter as long as he can stay healthy.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Senka on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Staal will be on a first line with 30 goals. Sutter will be on the 3rd with 20? Darn.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DayWalker on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm

The Penguins should go into next season with a roster worse than the one that got its *** kicked up and down the ice by the Flyers in the playoffs?

Great idea.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins