Fa's are gone, contend for cups

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fa's are gone, contend for cups

Postby jwit on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Nice to see a panic hasn't broken out here like on twitter. Cups are not won on the first three days of FA sighings. THey are won by how you run your franchise the other 362 days of the year and augmented by the occaisional trade. The pens are paying letang 3.5, neal, 5 and cosby and malkin 8.7 each. THats about what the wild just gave for a 30 goal scorer who's 5-10" and a defensemen who is not mediocre. BOht good players but they will pay them about what we pay for sid, geno and neal. Yeo and Fletcher will be unemployed and on nhl network and Shero will still be here running a solid franchise.

Cups are magical, they happen when you least expect it. Contending for a cup is what you do every year if you have the right folks running your ship. We do. The wild will be improved but not great. the pens will make a deal or two with one of their 16 d men they have under contract and we'll be fine. As we have seen, as long as the league wants rugby to be played in the playoffs, you never know who will get hot. Run a good franchise and sleep well at night. the wild will be a footnote in four years, finacially strapped and floundering.
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Fa's are gone, contend for cups

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:59 pm

I guess you haven't gone into the FA thread yet where panic was spreading before parise signed. That said, this team is missing a couple parts, but the roster still looks fine right now.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:01 pm

What, no Alex Semin thread yet?
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm

I think the issue at hand is that even though we didn't get better no one else in the East did. Minnesota git better today but they still have a ton of caps to fill. Matt Cullen is their 2nd line center. Sutter is better than him.

We need to get lucky and find a different wing for Malkin and put Kunitz back with Sid and Dupuis. That's all the balance we need.

I also hope that Niskanen and Martin somehow make each other better. They haven't played much together but we will see that in october if no other defenseman is acquired.

We aren't really any worse than we were to end the season. Strait and Despres were outplaying Michalek and Staal was garbage playing defense. I lost track of how many goals I saw him watching from the blue line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bunkerman535 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:I guess you haven't gone into the FA thread yet where panic was spreading before parise signed. That said, this team is missing a couple parts, but the roster still looks fine right now.

Team looks ok I agree, but they had a chance to look like a power house for a decade. Need to spend to the cap to go deep in playoffs.
Bunkerman535

Postby Bunkerman535 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 pm

DelPen wrote:I think the issue at hand is that even though we didn't get better no one else in the East did. Minnesota git better today but they still have a ton of caps to fill. Matt Cullen is their 2nd line center. Sutter is better than him.

We need to get lucky and find a different wing for Malkin and put Kunitz back with Sid and Dupuis. That's all the balance we need.

I also hope that Niskanen and Martin somehow make each other better. They haven't played much together but we will see that in october if no other defenseman is acquired.

We aren't really any worse than we were to end the season. Strait and Despres were outplaying Michalek and Staal was garbage playing defense. I lost track of how many goals I saw him watching from the blue line.

Don't use revisionist history Staal was one of the best players the Penguins had period. They are not as good as the team Philly dismantled in the playoffs.
Bunkerman535

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Bunkerman535 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:I guess you haven't gone into the FA thread yet where panic was spreading before parise signed. That said, this team is missing a couple parts, but the roster still looks fine right now.

Team looks ok I agree, but they had a chance to look like a power house for a decade. Need to spend to the cap to go deep in playoffs.

Spending to the cap does not equal going deep into the playoffs.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DayWalker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

DelPen wrote:I think the issue at hand is that even though we didn't get better no one else in the East did. Minnesota git better today but they still have a ton of caps to fill. Matt Cullen is their 2nd line center. Sutter is better than him.

Do you really believe Pascal Dupuis can replicate his ahistorical production from last season? That seems like wishful thinking to me.

Is Chris Kunitz suddenly going to refrain from climbing aboard a milk carton come playoff time? Seems unlikely.

By the way, at the end of last season, this team was disemboweled by their arch rivals in the playoffs. Should we really be happy that this team isn't worse than the team that ended the season, something which I don't even believe is true?

I am just happy knowing that Ray Shero obviously can't be satisfied with the current roster, so there is obviously no need to panic, but it seems to me that people who think this roster is just fine as it is must have stopped watching the Penguins before that Saturday night game in Ottawa in March.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ysthomas on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 pm

You had to make a new thread for that? You didnt think your post would get enough attention in the obvious FA thread?
ysthomas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby André on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Granlund.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Bunkerman535 wrote:

Don't use revisionist history Staal was one of the best players the Penguins had period. They are not as good as the team Philly dismantled in the playoffs.

Not this past year. His defense was not good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bunkerman535 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Bunkerman535 wrote:

Neither does signing curtain jerkers that have no pedigree, and sitting below the cap.
Bunkerman535

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:24 pm

DayWalker wrote:

Do you really believe Pascal Dupuis can replicate his ahistorical production from last season? That seems like wishful thinking to me.

Is Chris Kunitz suddenly going to refrain from climbing aboard a milk carton come playoff time? Seems unlikely.

By the way, at the end of last season, this team was disemboweled by their arch rivals in the playoffs. Should we really be happy that this team isn't worse than the team that ended the season, something which I don't even believe is true?

I am just happy knowing that Ray Shero obviously can't be satisfied with the current roster, so there is obviously no need to panic, but it seems to me that people who think this roster is just fine as it is must have stopped watching the Penguins before that Saturday night game in Ottawa in March.

A very good post. I actually read a post a few backs were someoene said "I mean who skate with our 4 lines"? Ummmm, the Flyers.

So far as the current roster goes we have traded out Sullivan for nobody, Staal for Sutter, ZM for nobody and Asham for TG and have a back up goalie (which will help for sure but only one can play in the playoffs).

Our 4th is slightly better although Adams getting worse scares me but nothing else in the base lineup is a real positive in terms of getting a better player.

Agreed we are going to see more changes and that will be good. But right now after what happened the last month of the season when teams stopped being afraid of us, playing conservative and just attacked, we should be a bit worried about our overall chances.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:27 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
DayWalker wrote:

A very good post. I actually read a post a few backs were someoene said "I mean who skate with our 4 lines"? Ummmm, the Flyers.

So far as the current roster goes we have traded out Sullivan for nobody, Staal for Sutter, ZM for nobody and Asham for TG.
Our 4th is slightly better although Adams getting worse scares me but nothing else is a real positive in terms of getting a better player.

Agreed we are going to see more changes and that will be good. But right now after what happened the last month of the season when teams stopped being afraid of us, playing conservative and just attacked, we should be a bit worried about our overall chances.

Like I said, I don't think there is any reason to panic at this point, and I do have confidence in Ray Shero as a GM on most matters, but the Chip Diller routine with some on this message board strikes me as bizarre.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Bunkerman535 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
Bunkerman535 wrote:

Neither does signing curtain jerkers that have no pedigree, and sitting below the cap.

I'll make sure to break the news to phoenix that they didn't make it to the western finals last year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

DayWalker wrote:
DayWalker wrote:

So far as the current roster goes we have traded out Sullivan for nobody, Staal for Sutter, ZM for nobody and Asham for TG.
Our 4th is slightly better although Adams getting worse scares me but nothing else is a real positive in terms of getting a better player.

Like I said, I don't think there is any reason to panic at this point, and I do have confidence in Ray Shero as a GM on most matters, but the Chip Diller routine with some on this message board strikes me as bizarre.

Agreed on both fronts. Its still early and I do like Shero. But I do agree that the over confidence after some of the things that happened last year is mind boggling.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm still more concerned with the coaches than the roster
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm

The coyotes are constructed completely differently. They don't have two players taking up 17 million dollars. You couldn't have combined 4 players to make that much. They're not completely top heavy. With players that are going to be completely exposed at the bottom. The Pens need to add to their bottom lines and probable to the bottom pair. And yes, they need a new head coach.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:I'm still more concerned with the coaches than the roster

:fist:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The coyotes are constructed completely differently. They don't have two players taking up 17 million dollars. You couldn't have combined 4 players to make that much. They're not completely top heavy. With players that are going to be completely exposed at the bottom. The Pens need to add to their bottom lines and probable to the bottom pair. And yes, they need a new head coach.

So... you can compete without having to spend to the cap? Cause that's my argument- a team doesn't need to spend to the cap to compete; a team that spends to the cap isn't necessarily a competitive team.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:The coyotes are constructed completely differently. They don't have two players taking up 17 million dollars. You couldn't have combined 4 players to make that much. They're not completely top heavy. With players that are going to be completely exposed at the bottom. The Pens need to add to their bottom lines and probable to the bottom pair. And yes, they need a new head coach.

So... you can compete without having to spend to the cap? Cause that's my argument- a team doesn't need to spend to the cap to compete; a team that spends to the cap isn't necessarily a competitive team.

On this team, it would involve trading Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Martin(...interested), and Neal, but yes its absolutely possible.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dollartaco on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm

jwit wrote:hey idiot 40, i'll put my engineering degree up to whatever you have anytime. I went to a school you couldn't mop floors for.

Is this for real? What school did you go to?

Upside-Down Technical Institute
dollartaco
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:38 pm

dollartaco wrote:
jwit wrote:hey idiot 40, i'll put my engineering degree up to whatever you have anytime. I went to a school you couldn't mop floors for.

:D
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm

bh wrote:
dollartaco wrote:

:D

HAHAHA

Ok
1. I love that in your zeal to insult Idoit you glassed over his name and made yourself look stupid.

2. Youre barking up the wrong tree there. Idoit40fans is actually one of the better posters on here for intelligent analysis.

3. Why are you playing the "My dad can beat up your dad" game on an internet message board? Its embarassing.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm

They call me Will, Will Hunting.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins