Eric Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Eh...spot duty isn't a chance. He hasn't been given a chance on the top line. He also hasn't shown he deserves one.

:thumb:
DesertPenguin wrote:Ive been a Tangradi supporter, but I think its now or never for him to stick with this team at the NHL level.

To me, the improvement in his game that I saw at the end of last year was a result of him finally trying to play a 3rd/4th line type game, instead of trying to flash some first line moves.

Put this two comments together and I think you have a complete answer to the OP's original question.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Salary dump. He had his chance last year with all the injuries to shine and prove himself. He failed miserably.

He makes like $25 a game, so salary dump is not the term. He never got a chance to show himself considering he only played 11 or more minutes in a game twice last year (12:59 and 14:22). I'm not the type to say "prospects deserve a chance because they're prospects", I'm a "earn your position" guy...but to say he got a chance to shine and failed is just completely false.

I disagree, the reason why his ice time was limited was because he didn't do well with the limited ice time he was given, he didn't earn the chance for more ice time. He has shown me nothing that he is capable of being a regular in the NHL. His skating isn't up to par, He doesn't make quick decisions, He doesn't position himself properly most of the time, His shot is average, his only real asset is his size which he does use well along the boards, he is good at knocking people off the puck when he is in the right position. I don't know what it is about him be always just seems a second behind everyone else on the ice. It showed a lot last year instead of making the quick outlet pass, he turned his back to the opposing team and ate the puck along the wall and waited for help when we could have been going the other way with the puck. He has 6 points in 42 NHL games, he make over 800K a year, not sure what league min is, but i am sure we can sign someone to do what he does that makes league min.

Here's the problem I have with your evaluation. There are very few players that have the ability to make an impact in limited roles. Tangradi has earned a real chance with his performance in the AHL. He has done everything they ask of him in WBS. Then they call him up and stick him on the fourth line with Craig Adams and Aaron Asham, maybe a couple shifts with Malkin or Staal last year. Sorry, but you're not going to ever develop a true prospect and not an NHL shoe-in (a la Crosby) with that type of trial. If they really think Tangradi might be a top-six player, Dan needs to bite the bullet and just give him 10 games and see what he does with them on a top line. And I mean really commit to it. Not just give him 8-10 minutes there, but a good 16-18 minutes with some power play time.

But maybe Shero has already made his determination, I don't know. It's a weird situation where Shero and Bylsma give him all the confidence in the world yet every action they take says otherwise.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 pm

He can't get to his full potential playing with Craig Adams as his center man.

I'd like to see him along side Sutter for a good stretch. Tangradi needs consistent shifts/minutes in the NHL.

Not Bylsma: HERP DERP 4 SHIFTS/GAME.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I thought Tango did pretty well down the stretch, started banging bodies and was pretty noticeable in his last 10 or so games.

Still though, I doubt the pens go into the season without getting somebody else to try out in the top-6 instead
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:36 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Salary dump. He had his chance last year with all the injuries to shine and prove himself. He failed miserably.

He makes like $25 a game, so salary dump is not the term. He never got a chance to show himself considering he only played 11 or more minutes in a game twice last year (12:59 and 14:22). I'm not the type to say "prospects deserve a chance because they're prospects", I'm a "earn your position" guy...but to say he got a chance to shine and failed is just completely false.

I disagree, the reason why his ice time was limited was because he didn't do well with the limited ice time he was given, he didn't earn the chance for more ice time. He has shown me nothing that he is capable of being a regular in the NHL. His skating isn't up to par, He doesn't make quick decisions, He doesn't position himself properly most of the time, His shot is average, his only real asset is his size which he does use well along the boards, he is good at knocking people off the puck when he is in the right position. I don't know what it is about him be always just seems a second behind everyone else on the ice. It showed a lot last year instead of making the quick outlet pass, he turned his back to the opposing team and ate the puck along the wall and waited for help when we could have been going the other way with the puck. He has 6 points in 42 NHL games, he make over 800K a year, not sure what league min is, but i am sure we can sign someone to do what he does that makes league min.

That's fine and all, and I'm well aware of what Tangradi looks like out there and your analysis is fine...I won't debate that. But the point is, you said that he was given a chance to shine...which he wasn't...when injuries occured, AHL veterans came up a took his would-be job. Sure, that's an indictment of Tangradi in some regard, but it doesn't change that he wasn't given a chance to show what he could do without Craig Adams on his line...

I'm not saying he becomes anything at all, he's not quick mentally or physically, but he's not a salary dump (let's go with $800K, the league min is $525K or $550K I think, so we're splitting hairs there) nor did he ever get a chance to shine. He's played in the NHL for 396 minutes. To put it in perspective, Jani Rita played more time in the NHL, so did the invisible man Niklas Nordgren, Matt Murley played twice that much for us just about, that's how much time Noah Welch played as a Penguin...I mean, if that's time to shine, I wonder what isn't...

Again, I'm a "he should earn it" guy, but I'm not going to be sold that Tangradi got a shot at anything here...whether he deserves it or not is certainly debatable...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:37 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Here's the problem I have with your evaluation. There are very few players that have the ability to make an impact in limited roles. Tangradi has earned a real chance with his performance in the AHL. He has done everything they ask of him in WBS. Then they call him up and stick him on the fourth line with Craig Adams and Aaron Asham, maybe a couple shifts with Malkin or Staal last year. Sorry, but you're not going to ever develop a true prospect and not an NHL shoe-in (a la Crosby) with that type of trial. If they really think Tangradi might be a top-six player, Dan needs to bite the bullet and just give him 10 games and see what he does with them on a top line. And I mean really commit to it. Not just give him 8-10 minutes there, but a good 16-18 minutes with some power play time.

But maybe Shero has already made his determination, I don't know. It's a weird situation where Shero and Bylsma give him all the confidence in the world yet every action they take says otherwise.

I've posted that exact comment on these boards over 10 times.

One game I saw the line of Kunitz - Crosby - Tangradi vs Toronto, preseason game. The line had 4 points, Tangradi was AWESOME. He was forechecking, hitting just sick.

Tangradi is better playing with better players. He can't score off himself. He's needs to get down low with talented players.

The logic around this place is unreal. Not everyone is a Talbot that can score on the 4th line. What is Craig Adams and his 6 points a year going to do for Tangradi's development...Tangradi was a point per game player in WB/S on the top 6. That's where he should be.

Bylsma just hates young players so much. Sick and tired of his career 4th line joke of a coach and his sytem GET TO ERRR GAME DERPDERP.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Tangradi is not a power forward. He is a skilled winger in a big body. He passes the puck nicely and generally has good offensive awareness. He does not seem to shoot the puck all that often, almost a last resort when he shoots. Decent puckhandler, average defense, and sub par skating. If he improves his skating I could seem him as a solid 3rd liner/2nd line tweener.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Tangradi won't be the next Naslund, but he'll finally get to some dumb team like Winnipeg and be a solid 20-20 PF for the next 5-6 years and everyone will wonder what a stupid move letting him go was, when we never even gave him a real chance.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Tangradi skates about as well as you'd hope for a guy his size.... not sure what people are looking for there.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Throw him to the fire.

Neal - Malkin - Tangradi
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Crosby gets his winger back. Malkin and Neal were playing well enough at times last year that they could have competed 2 on 3. He doesn't work there, it's time to move on.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Tangradi is a better fit for Crosby than Malkin. Crosby is a better cycler and Malkin likes to create more on the fly...more of a chance for Crosby to burrow in deep and hit Tangradi standing in front of the net all alone (a la Malone) than for Tangradi to score on the fly with Neal and Malkin, IMO. Can't predict chemistry to a 'T'...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:46 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Tangradi skates about as well as you'd hope for a guy his size.... not sure what people are looking for there.

An explosive first stride would help. Trust me there are lot of guys in the NHL of his size that could skate circles around him.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Id love to know what he's doing in this off-season.

A Letang or Geno (circa 2011) type workout program would tell me that he's serious about taking the next step.

I remember Seeing Jay Caufield skate with some kind of parachute rigging behind him to create as much drag as possible. That's the kind of thing I think (generally speaking) would benefit Tangradi.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Waive him. He's too slow (foot speed and decision making) for the NHL.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Id love to know what he's doing in this off-season.

A Letang or Geno (circa 2011) type workout program would tell me that he's serious about taking the next step.

I remember Seeing Jay Caufield skate with some kind of parachute rigging behind him to create as much drag as possible. That's the kind of thing I think (generally speaking) would benefit Tangradi.

He works out here...http://www.endeavorfit.com/testimonials

“The Hockey Training led by Kevin Neeld at Endeavor Sports Performance has helped me reach goals throughout the summer that were beyond my expectations. Since Day 1 I have left the facility feeling stronger and more confident. The attention to detail and the workouts have made me stronger mentally and physically. After 3 months of training I can already feel drastic improvements in my quickness and speed on the ice. I have never felt results like this in 5 years of training!

Endeavor is one of the only gyms in the world that has all the resources for me to improve every aspect of my game. The synthetic ice and skating treadmill have helped me improve my shot as well as lengthen my stride and skate at speeds I couldn’t quite push myself to on the ice.

Kevin was great about changing my training program to accommodate my individual needs. I went through a serious tendon surgery in April that I thought would delay my training drastically. Following surgery, Kevin set up a specific program for me that would not cause any harm to my thumb and still allowed me to get stronger and train for the upcoming season. In previous years I would train all summer and develop back pain that made it difficult to keep up with my program. At Endeavor I haven’t had back pain all summer because of the extensive core work and strengthening of specific surrounding muscles. After a summer of hockey-specific lifting and conditioning at Endeavor, I feel like I am prepared to compete against professional hockey players.

Without Jared Beach and Kevin Neeld’s passion for the game of hockey, education, and coaching experience I don’t believe I would be where I am today. I can’t stress enough how incredible Endeavor has been for me. I would highly recommend it to any athlete striving to play at an elite-level.”

Eric Tangradi, Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Sewell NJ eh?

I may be down in the Princeton area for business in a few weeks. Maybe I'll swing by and see the place.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:20 pm

That was my "home rink" in my youth...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:That was my "home rink" in my youth...

I know where you are Mikey, I used to head across the GWB thN out past you as I made a beeline for I-78 on my drives back to the 'Burgh.

But I just assumed Sewell was in the southern part of the state. Is that not so?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Id love to know what he's doing in this off-season.

From what I saw on Twitter, he's spending his off-season working out at/with Endeavor Sports Performance.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:33 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I know where you are Mikey, I used to head across the GWB thN out past you as I made a beeline for I-78 on my drives back to the 'Burgh.

But I just assumed Sewell was in the southern part of the state. Is that not so?

Yes, sorry, that was kind of a random outloud thought more than anything. I was born in Philadelphia and lived in South Jersey most of my life (since you're on or from my side of east coast it seems...like exit 2 or 3 of the NJ Turnpike area)...then I went to Rutgers and moved up to New Brunswick. Where I remain until further notice...

Yeah Sewell is about an hour or so south of New Brunswick...maybe a bit more...I guess the fastest way would be to pick up 295 (it gets close to the NJT at exit 7 for Bordentown/McGuire AFB and puts you at exit 56 (?) of 295) and then take it to 42 then to 55...and it's there...I can't think of any other way to get there efficiently from any other part of the state from Trenton or north...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:36 pm

On one hand, I want to see him get a chance. On the other hand, that "one time you saw him on the top line in preseason" when he looked good...well, our staff has seen him day in and day out in practice, and I'd assume they have their reasons why he hasn't had a chance. so basically, meh.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:38 pm

mikey287 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Yes, sorry, that was kind of a random outloud thought more than anything. I was born in Philadelphia and lived in South Jersey most of my life (since you're on or from my side of east coast it seems...like exit 2 or 3 of the NJ Turnpike area)...then I went to Rutgers and moved up to New Brunswick. Where I remain until further notice...

Yeah Sewell is about an hour or so south of New Brunswick...maybe a bit more...I guess the fastest way would be to pick up 295 (it gets close to the NJT at exit 7 for Bordentown/McGuire AFB and puts you at exit 56 (?) of 295) and then take it to 42 then to 55...and it's there...I can't think of any other way to get there efficiently from any other part of the state from Trenton or north...

my best friend from college was from NJ... he was from a place called Cranfield or something like that..... I know he was by NYC and near the Newark Airport since his dad was a pilot there....

that anywhere around there?

he always used to tell us how much he loved Jersey, but we always used to make fun of him and say Jersey was dirty as hell and sucked
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm not as well-versed in the North North Jersey because that place does suck and is dirty...there's a place called Cranbury which is near me...could be that? I don't know of a Cranfield...

Frankly, I can't wait to leave this hellhole...in the South it's not so bad because there's more room to breathe...but Trenton and north is just butt city, USA...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'm not as well-versed in the North North Jersey because that place does suck and is dirty...there's a place called Cranbury which is near me...could be that? I don't know of a Cranfield...

Frankly, I can't wait to leave this hellhole...in the South it's not so bad because there's more room to breathe...but Trenton and north is just butt city, USA...

Actually the nort west corner of the state is pretty nice, nestled up against "up state" NY and the East Stroudsburg area. The area known as Delaware Water Gap.

But I get your point.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah, I painted with a broad brush...there's some real wealthy towns in spots...but the bad outweigh the good by so so much...

I can't imagine what a desolate wasteland New Brunswick would be as a long-forgotten satellite suburb of New York dragged kicking, if not screaming, into the 21st century by way of having big education and big medicine hold court, the former set up before the country gained its independence even...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins