Eric Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Tangradi can't pass Kennedy and Vitale on the depth chart. He is a bust.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby no name on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Trade him, Dan has never shown the patience to give him a extended look on one of the top 2 lines. If your coach doesn't have the faith to give you a look, why are we holding onto him. I like him, i think he deserves a shot out there, its seems to me Dan tries him for half a period then moves him back to the 4th line.

I do think Tangradi-Sutter-Cooke would make a real good 3rd line. Give Kennedy a shot on a top 2 lines when bring in a replacement at the trade deadline. Then next season in free agency there should be a decient crop to find Sid a line term winger.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,943
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Tangradi can't pass Kennedy and Vitale on the depth chart. He is a bust.


After 40 games? What a tough crowd.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,028
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Puck Drama on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:05 pm

How many games does it take? Tangradi can't skate.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:11 pm

As probably the biggest Kennedy supporter over the course of his career, he's not an option in the top-six. Don't misread the ceiling. He's a third liner forever.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,107
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Kaizer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm

put him on sids wing and make him stand in the crease on powerplays for 10 games. if he still sucks, see if radulov needs a room mate in siberia.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,324
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Awards and honors

Tangradi was a member of the United States team in the 2008 World Junior Hockey Championships.

During the 2008-09 season, Tangradi was named the Boston Pizza OHL & CHL Player of the Week for the week ending April 12th.

Also during the 2008-09 season, Tangradi was named the Belleville Bulls Humanitarian of the Year, Most Outstanding Forward, and Top Scorer.

Tangradi was named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Dec. 12, 2010.

Named to the 2011 AHL All-Star game.

I give him a chance to get to camp with full understanding that this is his NHL chance that his minor league credentials have afforded him. Give him an honest chance to earn his spot. But I am not ready to pencil him on the 1st line without earning it. At 23 it seems early to call him a bust, but that's just my opinion.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,028
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Kaizer wrote:put him on sids wing


Why?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,746
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Kaizer wrote:put him on sids wing


Why?


Cause there's an opening??? <shrugs>
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby GDR on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm

if having good preseason performances was any barometer of NHL talent Jon Sim would've been Wayne Gretzky. I wholly concur with everyone who brings up his lack of skating ability as his biggest problem. Until he gets that solved (if he can) then he's a 4th line/AHL guy, which we have about 17 of.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,851
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:19 pm

GDR wrote:if having good preseason performances was any barometer of NHL talent Jon Sim would've been Wayne Gretzky. I wholly concur with everyone who brings up his lack of skating ability as his biggest problem. Until he gets that solved (if he can) then he's a 4th line/AHL guy, which we have about 17 of.


I wish I had sound effects on this board.

Anyway, when people that know what they're doing evaluate a preseason performance, they don't sort by points and add the top 20 to the roster and waive the rest. You can tell how a player looks in preseason vs. the speed of the game and make a good determination of what he'll look like in the regular season. It's the same way you evaluate a player at every lower level in the world...you watch. That's why Maxime Boisclair was never drafted, someone watched and said, "no...wrong." That's why Brandon Bochenski never made significant advances from his "awesome" preseason performances...

You don't take it for face value like a Jon Sim...it's to help evaulate the progression of the player...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,107
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Tangradi is like Dustin Jeffrey. He will never be given the opportunity because he has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff. Dustin is way more of a mystery to me than Tangradi. Tangradi flat out can't skate well enough to be successful in this system, but Dustin actually has a whole lot of touch. He can actually finish and play the system well. I think Dustin would be a good third line center but we have one of the best in the league at that role now.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,754
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby penmyst on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 pm

It's not his skating I care about. It's serviceable for a guy his size.

The problem is that he is a small player in a big man's body. Until he is willing to utilize his size, that many players aren't blessed with, to punch his meal ticket in the NHL-- he is going to woefully underperform.

You can't coach it. Maybe you could get Leclair to come back and talk to the kid. Did wonders for Malone. But even when you get past the "know-how" tricks to be gained from a real-deal Power-Forward.... you still need to have the "wanna do it". And Tangradi hasn't shown that. Which is why I'm not in favor of handing the guy Crosby's wing.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Bioshock wrote:Tangradi is like Dustin Jeffrey. He will never be given the opportunity because he has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff. Dustin is way more of a mystery to me than Tangradi. Tangradi flat out can't skate well enough to be successful in this system, but Dustin actually has a whole lot of touch. He can actually finish and play the system well. I think Dustin would be a good third line center but we have one of the best in the league at that role now.


I'm not sure how you're getting that Jeffrey was never given an opportunity. I don't think he ever got healthy this year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:07 pm

penmyst wrote:It's not his skating I care about. It's serviceable for a guy his size.

The problem is that he is a small player in a big man's body. Until he is willing to utilize his size, that many players aren't blessed with, to punch his meal ticket in the NHL-- he is going to woefully underperform.

You can't coach it. Maybe you could get Leclair to come back and talk to the kid. Did wonders for Malone. But even when you get past the "know-how" tricks to be gained from a real-deal Power-Forward.... you still need to have the "wanna do it". And Tangradi hasn't shown that. Which is why I'm not in favor of handing the guy Crosby's wing.


Its not serviceable for an NHL player. You need a lot more than "want it", which I think he has anyway, if you're that immobile. Your positioning has to be perfect, and your hands have to be much the same. He is not that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby KG on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Eismann wrote:Dave Roche until proven otherwise.


Not a bad comp....seriously...

Lemieux/Sandstrom/Roche!!!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Bunkerman535 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:05 am

[quote="DesertPenguin"]Ive been a Tangradi supporter, but I think its now or never for him to stick with this team at the NHL level.

To me, the improvement in his game that I saw at the end of last year was a result of him finally trying to play a 3rd/4th line type game, instead of trying to flash some first line moves.

The addition of Glass makes it tougher for him to make the team, but I think Tangradis chance is to play the Mike Rupp role this season as a banger with a little skill that can move around the lineup.[/quote/]



Beginning , middle, and end he was horrible. He seems to lack a.) talent at NHL level b.) heart, c.) grit....
Mike Rupp can fight, Tangradi as he showed last year can not. Let's be honest he sucks.
Bunkerman535
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 am

Bioshock wrote:Tangradi is like Dustin Jeffrey. He will never be given the opportunity because he has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff. Dustin is way more of a mystery to me than Tangradi. Tangradi flat out can't skate well enough to be successful in this system, but Dustin actually has a whole lot of touch. He can actually finish and play the system well. I think Dustin would be a good third line center but we have one of the best in the league at that role now.


What makes you think they should be given the opportunity instead of having to earn it? If Tangradi was given the opportunity to play on Sid's wing he might score 10 goals in 10 games, but he'd still be a below average skater and weak along the boards. He needs to work on his overall game on the 3rd and 4th lines and go from there.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,746
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby no name on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:01 am

It got to be a hard roll to fill on Sid and Genos line, in the AHL they are the "guy" people give the puck to. Sid and Geno imediatially want the puck on their stick. Your roll at that point is just to get open. Tangradi has to change his whole game to learn to play with thoes guys. This is one reason Kennedy won't be a on a line with Sid and Geno, seen him out there not passing to them 2. I am sure the coaches will hear about it.

Its a big reason for James Neals success with Geno, give him the puck and get open.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,943
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 am

no name wrote:It got to be a hard roll to fill on Sid and Genos line, in the AHL they are the "guy" people give the puck to. Sid and Geno imediatially want the puck on their stick. Your roll at that point is just to get open. Tangradi has to change his whole game to learn to play with thoes guys. This is one reason Kennedy won't be a on a line with Sid and Geno, seen him out there not passing to them 2. I am sure the coaches will hear about it.

Its a big reason for James Neals success with Geno, give him the puck and get open.


Or just stand behind him during the faceoff and wait for him to give it to you. :pop: :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby sil on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 am

I think Tangradi will get a chance to start on the roster on the bottom pairing. He's played the right side many times in WB/S (pretty played there all night against Hershey in game 3). It's not too much of a risk to let him get those minutes and give him a shift every once in a while with Geno/Sid. If things don't work, we could always waive him or trade him out. It's not like we're asking or need him to step into top-6 minutes.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby sil on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:13 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:It got to be a hard roll to fill on Sid and Genos line, in the AHL they are the "guy" people give the puck to. Sid and Geno imediatially want the puck on their stick. Your roll at that point is just to get open. Tangradi has to change his whole game to learn to play with thoes guys. This is one reason Kennedy won't be a on a line with Sid and Geno, seen him out there not passing to them 2. I am sure the coaches will hear about it.

Its a big reason for James Neals success with Geno, give him the puck and get open.


Or just stand behind him during the faceoff and wait for him to give it to you. :pop: :scared:


Yeah, but only when Malkin feels like winning a faceoff. :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am

no name wrote:It got to be a hard roll to fill on Sid and Genos line, in the AHL they are the "guy" people give the puck to. Sid and Geno imediatially want the puck on their stick. Your roll at that point is just to get open. Tangradi has to change his whole game to learn to play with thoes guys. This is one reason Kennedy won't be a on a line with Sid and Geno, seen him out there not passing to them 2. I am sure the coaches will hear about it.

Its a big reason for James Neals success with Geno, give him the puck and get open.


I think if we butter-up tangradi enough, he could easily fill that roll :pop:
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 am

sil wrote:I think Tangradi will get a chance to start on the roster on the bottom pairing. He's played the right side many times in WB/S (pretty played there all night against Hershey in game 3). It's not too much of a risk to let him get those minutes and give him a shift every once in a while with Geno/Sid. If things don't work, we could always waive him or trade him out. It's not like we're asking or need him to step into top-6 minutes.


He's going to play defense?

:pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,710
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby sil on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:49 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:I think Tangradi will get a chance to start on the roster on the bottom pairing. He's played the right side many times in WB/S (pretty played there all night against Hershey in game 3). It's not too much of a risk to let him get those minutes and give him a shift every once in a while with Geno/Sid. If things don't work, we could always waive him or trade him out. It's not like we're asking or need him to step into top-6 minutes.


He's going to play defense?

:pop:


I kept wondering what made you write that...and than I saw that I used the word "pairing." 8-)

How's this..."I think Tangradi will get a chance to start on the roster on the bottom forward line."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scate and 3 guests

e-mail