Now What ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Now What ?

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 pm

pfim wrote:Team is worse up front and there are question marks in defense. I doubt this will be the lineup when the season starts.

I agree with that. Good thing that so far none of the Eastern rivals got any better. I'm sure Shero is looking for a scoring winger and a stay at home D.

I can't blame Shero for anything at this point. Let's make that clear. He gave himself some cap space and tried to get two guys, but it didn't work. He's doing the right things, as far as I'm concerned, just that there is not much out there right now.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Honestly beside some minor moves i bet Shero sits tight until the deadline then he will address our needs.

Am i being overly optimistic thinking the roster as is can make it to the playoffs?

I would love to get Ryan, Would the rate for him be in the range of what we got for Staal??

The price for Nash is just way to steep, no way should we even make a run for him. I really believe the asking price will drop for him as the season draws near. No team if going to give up 2 solid NHL players and 2 picks or grade A prospects for him.

James Neal was way off the radar in Dallas when we got him. Leave it to Shero to be working on a deal no one expects.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:59 pm

no name wrote:James Neal was way off the radar in Dallas when we got him. Leave it to Shero to be working on a deal no one expects.

That's what I think Shero is doing and I think that if he gets the right guy, we will be much happier than if we gave Parise that contract.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:09 pm

no name wrote:
James Neal was way off the radar in Dallas when we got him. Leave it to Shero to be working on a deal no one expects.

I was thinking about this and getting ready to type it as I read your post... I agree, I think that's Shero's design right now.

I'm inclined to go with the D as is into the season, and adjust as needed. I think Niskanen is ready for a bigger role, and I think Shero is ready to let Despres take a full time roster spot.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Guinness wrote:
no name wrote:

I was thinking about this and getting ready to type it as I read your post... I agree, I think that's Shero's design right now.

I'm inclined to go with the D as is into the season, and adjust as needed. I think Niskanen is ready for a bigger role, and I think Shero is ready to let Despres take a full time roster spot.

I still think the D is this team's weakness. IMO, RS will have to make some additions and subtractions either now or at the deadline. Not sure Niskanen and Despres are ready. I guess time will tell and I can't wait till October to find out.

BTW: I have been wrong once or twice before, so take what I say with a big grain of salt.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Weren't Cook-Crosby-Dupuis killing everyone for a stretch there when Sid came back a 2nd time?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

DelPen wrote:Weren't Cook-Crosby-Dupuis killing everyone for a stretch there when Sid came back a 2nd time?

cook-crosby-kennedy, yes
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm

no name wrote:No one would concider Kristian Huselius on a one year deal? I mean just until the deadline or until we can choose from next season UFA list? Only 2 games with Colombus last season, depends on what he wants, i can't see it being much.

A guy who has played 41 games in the last 2 seasons.

He's hurt more than Ales Hemsky.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 pm

It's easy to forget that the Pens are gonna be much better in goal with their tandem
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 pm

DelPen wrote:Weren't Cook-Crosby-Dupuis killing everyone for a stretch there when Sid came back a 2nd time?

Cooke and Crosby have shown a few times that have some chemistry.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:35 am

We trade all our forwards for D. Five D on the ice, they all collapse around the goalie, and we NEVER get scored on again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------stan terlecki OUT
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck Drama on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:40 am

Fire Shero
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am

Puck Drama wrote:Fire Shero

Fire Shero, buy out Martin and sign Semin to 10 year deal :thumb: :wink:
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 am

Durbano wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Durbano wrote:Fedotenko, Sykora and Rozsival are all UFAs....

Don't we want to get more physical? None of this trio helps us get there.

BEPF

Honestly, I was kidding.

Okay, I solly. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 am

July 10Th~ hockey at the Consol begins! :D
Looking forward to see how the new group impresses. Escpecially the new BC defenseman.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 am

Sarcastic wrote:
pfim wrote:Team is worse up front and there are question marks in defense. I doubt this will be the lineup when the season starts.

I agree with that. Good thing that so far none of the Eastern rivals got any better. I'm sure Shero is looking for a scoring winger and a stay at home D.

I can't blame Shero for anything at this point. Let's make that clear. He gave himself some cap space and tried to get two guys, but it didn't work. He's doing the right things, as far as I'm concerned, just that there is not much out there right now.

I agree in theory but we re not overloaded with trade chips either. People laud our defensive prospects which is true but I doubt any team is going to give us a true scoring winger for a prospect or two. and are we going to give up 2 or 3 of them for one player......that kills the point of loading up on them.

Our best chance is to steal an impending FA at the deadline for a cup run if we think we have a chance. You might only have to give up one but also might lose the guy down the road.

In a few years if they get some NHL time we have a better chance of dumping one for a winger straight up.

If we
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:39 am

Really wanna see the Pens go after Glencross.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Alexander Semin ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Curtis Glencross ($2.550m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,423,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,776,667
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins