Eric Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Noise on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

penmyst wrote:It's not his skating I care about. It's serviceable for a guy his size.

The problem is that he is a small player in a big man's body. Until he is willing to utilize his size, that many players aren't blessed with, to punch his meal ticket in the NHL-- he is going to woefully underperform.

You can't coach it. Maybe you could get Leclair to come back and talk to the kid. Did wonders for Malone. But even when you get past the "know-how" tricks to be gained from a real-deal Power-Forward.... you still need to have the "wanna do it". And Tangradi hasn't shown that. Which is why I'm not in favor of handing the guy Crosby's wing.

Maybe he's just not a power forward & he should be played to his strengths instead of trying to pigeonhole him in a category where he doesn't really belong just because he's big & he hits sometimes.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:14 am

One of the reasons that I'd like the Pens to acquire Doan is that maybe Tangradi could pick up somethings from him. Not saying that he could be like Doan, but.....he has improved a little. Not ready to run him out of town, yet. However, if he could be a piece of a deal then so be it.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am

Unfortunately, Doan can probably skate backwards better than Tangradi can forwards. Hard to duplicate things you are incapable of doing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Whilst his skating is still below average Tangradi showed significant improvement winning puck battles, maintaining possession in the offensive zone and lifted the 4th line with some big hits, so I don't understand the continued criticism of 'failure to use his size' - this is something he is learning to do more effectively. He can play 4th line adequately, but in doing so will never display or develop the skating or scoring expected to 'earn' a better spot, the defensive requirements, limited ice and quality of linemates are as much of a handicap as his skating.

IMO HCDB has failed several players by ignoring their strengths in favour of 'getting to our game' (other examples being Martin and Michalek). If the cap space is not filled I'd happily bump Tangradi up a line or two, see if he forms chemistry with Sid, compliments Sutter, or becomes the net front PP guy. If he fails to transfer his AHL success to the NHL we are safe in the knowledge a big trade can be made by the deadline, and we can finally end speculation on whether Tangradi has been given a fair chance!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Tangradi's biggest highlight as a pen so far is literally screening a goalie on a power play while someoneelse scored. I blame bylsma for not figuring out more ways to capitalize on this slug standing perfectly motionless while someone else does the real work.

The guy is a turd. I don't want him on the roster, let alone anywhere close to Sid or Geno.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Unfortunately, Doan can probably skate backwards better than Tangradi can forwards. Hard to duplicate things you are incapable of doing.

Yep
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:59 am

Froggy wrote:Tangradi's biggest highlight as a pen so far is literally screening a goalie on a power play while someoneelse scored. I blame bylsma for not figuring out more ways to capitalize on this slug standing perfectly motionless while someone else does the real work.

The guy is a turd. I don't want him on the roster, let alone anywhere close to Sid or Geno.

So he made a rookie mistake, I don't get it.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bh on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I've seen improvement in his game since I first watched him. His skating while still not so good, looks a little better and as someone mentioned above, he has been winning a lot more battles on the boards. I think he'll at least make a pretty good 4th liner. He can start there and see what happens.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:50 pm

I remember when he was being touted, on LGP, as being the answer to who will be Sid's wing. Now we are hoping he can make the 4th line.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Tangradi is an enigma of sorts.

He has the size & strength. He's done all he can in the AHL (decent production), including the playoffs this year.

BUT, at the NHL level he's not been able to produce. ZERO. Some of that has to be mental. Getting rocked in the Isles debacle game certainly didn't help his NHL Mental game. But, like every hockey player, at some point he's got to produce, defend, fill some sort of role. He's got to earn a spot. If he does, then hopefully we can finally put an end to ET' promise/role/departure.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 am

I still see no reason to think he cannot become a valuable 3rd/4th liner on an NHL team.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 am

The fact is he is just too damn slow. You can't teach speed. He is an AHLer for life in my opinion.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens2005 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Froggy wrote:Tangradi's biggest highlight as a pen so far is literally screening a goalie on a power play while someoneelse scored. I blame bylsma for not figuring out more ways to capitalize on this slug standing perfectly motionless while someone else does the real work.

So he made a rookie mistake, I don't get it.

I don't get it either.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:03 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:The fact is he is just too damn slow. You can't teach speed. He is an AHLer for life in my opinion.

His lack of a good first step and transition will keep him from being a top-6 winger no doubt (that among other things really) but there are plenty of bottom-6 players that could do a lot worse. If LGP'ers stop expecting the world from him, he might not appear so utterly dissapointing.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 am

sil wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:The fact is he is just too damn slow. You can't teach speed. He is an AHLer for life in my opinion.

His lack of a good first step and transition will keep him from being a top-6 winger no doubt (that among other things really) but there are plenty of bottom-6 players that could do a lot worse. If LGP'ers stop expecting the world from him, he might not appear so utterly dissapointing.

If by world, you mean NHL, then yes, they probably need to stop expecting the world in order to avoid being disappointed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am

I think it's already obvious he isn't a detriment to the 3rd/4th line...so "world" would be a 30-goal scoring top-line winger.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

Shouldn't a thread about Eric Tangradi be on the Penguins Affiliates board? :pop:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm

He reminds me of Shane Endicott, but not as lazy.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:55 pm

I'd forgotten about Shane Endicott. Thanks for reminding me! :scared: :shock:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm

I should note that Tangradi's NHL stat lines are almost identical to Endicott's. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:17 pm

columbia wrote:I should note that Tangradi's NHL stat lines are almost identical to Endicott's. :pop:

Some other similarities...
  • Both players are listed at 6'4"
  • Endicott is listed at 214lbs, Tangradi is 220lbs
  • Both are 2nd round draft picks - Tangradi at 42nd overall, Endicott at 52nd overall
  • Neither showed any considerable production in junior until their 18-year-old seasons
  • Tangradi didn't have a point-per-game season until he was 18; Endicott didn't until he was 19.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

sil wrote:I think it's already obvious he isn't a detriment to the 3rd/4th line...so "world" would be a 30-goal scoring top-line winger.

I think expectations have been way too high, the system has not favoured him (nor has the coach), but his ability is hopefully somewhere above what he has shown so far. Had he been touted as a 3/4th liner rather than Sid's future winger perhaps people would concentrate more on what he has done (slowly improved physicality and defensive awareness) and not what he hasn't (scored).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Luckybreak:

IMO HCDB has failed several players by ignoring their strengths in favour of 'getting to our game' (other examples being Martin and Michalek).

Intresting i never thought of this but can't argue with it. But could it be Shero mis-identified their playing styles as to how they would fit into Dan B's system. Cause Tangradi never seemed to be fit for the pens style either.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

no name wrote:Luckybreak:

IMO HCDB has failed several players by ignoring their strengths in favour of 'getting to our game' (other examples being Martin and Michalek).

Intresting i never thought of this but can't argue with it. But could it be Shero mis-identified their playing styles as to how they would fit into Dan B's system. Cause Tangradi never seemed to be fit for the pens style either.

I would agree that it is more about finding a player that fits your system rather than building around their talents in the PENS case. We already have enough guys to define our team and our systems.

On a team that does not have this luxury it becomes important to focus on your core players skill sets and go from there. There are coaches who are excellent tacticians like HCDB and there are coaches that excel at doing with what they got, Hitchcock.

Then there are guys who are good at both...Babcock.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scals37 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:27 pm

jimjom wrote:I'd forgotten about Shane Endicott. Thanks for reminding me! :scared: :shock:

my god... my day is ruined too :slug:
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins