Draft Day Experience

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Draft Day Experience

Postby lifetimefan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:21 am

Went to day 1 of the draft. I was not expecting much, but it was a great experience. Good crowd and lots of buzz on the Staal speculation. Nice being there for a big Pens trade. Good seats to watch Shero and Phoenix GM negoitiate at tables and then behind all of the tables to comsumate the trade. Wish they had been able to announce it before everyone left. IMHO the top moments from day 1 were as follows:\

1. Over the top loud cheer when Bettman announced Staal trade.
2. Inability for the announce of the predraft roll call to hear a response from Philly due to the boos and jeers from the fans. Priceless.
3. Disbelief in crowd when Pens took not 1 but 2 defensemen in the first round.

Great night and, as usual, great job by the Pens.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Draft Day Experience

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 am

Same here. I wasn't sure what to expect going into the draft, in terms of a fan experience. What an awesome weekend it turned into.

Went down early Friday night and sat outside TGIFriday's in Consol sipping mojitos and watched all the NHL big-wigs, potential draftees, and their entourages walk by, some in and out of TGIF (I guess they don't have Morton's Steakhouse money just yet). There was a ton of talent walking by. Hockey players too. 8-)

Inside, Friday night was a long night but stoked by the Staal trade, everyone was amped. Couldn't believe how many fans of other teams were there. As I was getting a beverage between picks, we saw a group of Caps fans standing in the concourse, with a couple Flyer fans sprinkled in. Gave them a loud shout 'Hey guys - Did ya know the Cup is on display down on the 1st level?' A couple of them just looked puzzled 'oh, ok'. Then gave them the old 'Hey, never know - may be your only chance to see it' to which they replied something about punching me in the face, as fellow Pens fans all laughed, lol.

I had forgot how fast the picks are made in Rds2-7. We got down there a bit after 10, had Pirates tix and thought we may have to leave draft early to catch Buccos game. Instead, draft finished up quick, walked around and shook hands with Bryan Trottier and the Cup Keeper, then had an awesome lunch at Nola on the Square before heading over Clemente bridge to watch Bucs beat the Tigers. Our city was on display this weekend and did not disappoint. So many visitors (NHL fans, Detroit fans, etc) walking around Market Square and North Shore commenting what a great city it is.

Oh, and how boring were drafts before the invention of the smart phone and twitter? It was so cool watching Don Maloney and GMRS in the back of the floor talking what turned out to be the Michalek deal. They should do this for trade deadline day - just put all the teams in an arena floor and let fans in to watch the mayhem.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bunkerman535 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm

My kid dragged me there, but I loved it. My highlight was seeing Tim Hunter walking around the building, and getting my kids picture with one of my all time favorites!
Bunkerman535

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Kinda miffed when the crowd originally booed Bettman at the start.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Kinda miffed when the crowd originally booed Bettman at the start.

Yea that was ridiculous and lame
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Booing Bettman is a right of passage for the Cup presentation around the league, but without that incompentant, rat-faced boob there probably isn't professional hockey in Pitsburgh. He should get more respect here.

Oh, and he makes sure the officials know we're supposed to win.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm

lifetimefan wrote:Went to day 1 of the draft. I was not expecting much, but it was a great experience. Good crowd and lots of buzz on the Staal speculation. Nice being there for a big Pens trade. Good seats to watch Shero and Phoenix GM negoitiate at tables and then behind all of the tables to comsumate the trade. Wish they had been able to announce it before everyone left. IMHO the top moments from day 1 were as follows:\

1. Over the top loud cheer when Bettman announced Staal trade.
2. Inability for the announce of the predraft roll call to hear a response from Philly due to the boos and jeers from the fans. Priceless.
3. Disbelief in crowd when Pens took not 1 but 2 defensemen in the first round.

Great night and, as usual, great job by the Pens.

I loved the boos for the Flyers both for their first round pick, and for the roll call. I'm glad I went, but if I wouldn't have happened to be in Western PA for business that day, I highly doubt a trip would have been justified. My only disappointment was the line for seeing the cup being so long. If you weren't lined up when the draft started, you weren't going to see it. I imagine this was a lot smoother on Saturday, but I couldn't stick around.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

And i found out today that I won the Pens facebook contest for predicting the first 6 draft picks. My draft experience is now complete!
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Really enjoyed the whole thing. Thought it was well put together, though I would have preferred to see more displays around the concourse that weren't just vendors trying to sell hockey cards which no one has bought since 1996, but small complaint in an otherwise really fun experience.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:And i found out today that I won the Pens facebook contest for predicting the first 6 draft picks. My draft experience is now complete!

I received my signed Derrick Pouliot hat today. When we trade him for a winger, I'm going to try to get the winger to sign it too!
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins