Pick your Development Camp DARKHORSE!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Which of these 20 Camp Invitees will surprise and surpass expectations of Pens brass? (Pick 3)

Poll ended at Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 am

D'Agostino, Nick
3%
Dumuolin, Brian
19%
Harrington, Scott
7%
Maatta, Olli
5%
McNeill, Reid
No votes
Morrow, Joe
18%
Pouliot, Derrick
4%
Sustr, Andrej
1%
Velischek, Alex
No votes
Agostino, Kenny
3%
Archibald, Josh
1%
Bennett, Beau
11%
Blueger, Teddy
3%
Kuhnhackl, Tom
7%
Marcantuoni, Matia
9%
Payerl, Adam
No votes
Sundqvist, Oskar
1%
Uher, Dominik
5%
Wilson, Scott
1%
Zlobin, Anton
4%

Total votes : 151

Re: Pick your Development Camp DARKHORSE!!!

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Jesse wrote:Kuhnhackl not attending today and is in question for this week because of an illness, FYI.

pfft. soff.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Ossa wrote:I don't understand how Brian Dumoulin and Morrow are leading. They're already really good and should be the favorites heading into camp, not darkhorses. Brian Dumoulin was a Hobey Baker finalist for heaven's sake. He isn't coming out of no where, unless you've just recenlty heard of the guy then maybe he'd be considered a darkhorse for some.

If I had to pick a darkhorse I'd have to go with Matia Marcantuoni. Guy is insanely fast and I'm looking forward to see other aspects of his game. I'm not expecting him to make the team by any stretch, but I think he is a guy everyone will be talking about after camp is over.

I could also see Anton Zlobin making some noise at camp. He'll really need to prove himself.

I'd say they're all dark horses at this point. None of them are 'expected' to make the team out of camp...Dumoulin and Morrow included.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 pm

I'll go with Scott Wilson. He had an excellent freshman year for UMass-Lowell in a good conference (Hockey Eaat). Played at ~170 lbs dripping wet, since he had mono last summer and wasn't able to train much at all going into the season. If he can eventually get himself to ~190 lbs I think he could be a factor someday in the NHL. Seems to have good vision, and a decent shot from the couple of games I was able to see. Also isn't afraid of physical contact. I will be interested to see how he looks in this camp.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

sil wrote:
Ossa wrote:I don't understand how Brian Dumoulin and Morrow are leading. They're already really good and should be the favorites heading into camp, not darkhorses. Brian Dumoulin was a Hobey Baker finalist for heaven's sake. He isn't coming out of no where, unless you've just recenlty heard of the guy then maybe he'd be considered a darkhorse for some.

If I had to pick a darkhorse I'd have to go with Matia Marcantuoni. Guy is insanely fast and I'm looking forward to see other aspects of his game. I'm not expecting him to make the team by any stretch, but I think he is a guy everyone will be talking about after camp is over.

I could also see Anton Zlobin making some noise at camp. He'll really need to prove himself.

I'd say they're all dark horses at this point. None of them are 'expected' to make the team out of camp...Dumoulin and Morrow included.

I'm not expecting anyone to make the team out of camp either. I'm just saying there are top level prospects and mid/bottom level prospects. Dumoulin and Morrow are top prospects and shouldn't even be on this list. Everyone should expect a good camp out of these two. If you're talking about a true darkhorse then it should be someone that surprises everyone and moves from a prospect nobody cares about to a guy everyone will want to follow out of camp. That's how I think of a darkhorse.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Here's a good Zlobin video with EXTRA techno music to boot:

Warning: you might want to block out the images of Harrington on the last goal.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't really care about prospect camp because these guys aren't competing about NHL talent. Someone can look great now and look like he shouldn't be a pro in 2 months. Tangradi would dominate this camp. Its for the players benefit to improve down the road. Its fun to watch but its not for our evaluation.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Beau Bennett is a bust
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Sarge on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Jesse wrote:
sil wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:He shouldn't be a "sleeper" but I picked Bennett anyway as one of my three because some people think he's going to suck or something. He's 200 pounds now and has been doing his off-season training with T.R. Goodman, who is one of the best in the country. Real character builder too.

Beau needs to know how to stay in the lineup...i.e. healthy.

Beau needs to dump the roller hockey approach to the game and play like a kid who is currently on an ice hockey team. Size is a part of that, but the dipsy-doodling has to stop. He needs to start skating through guys and initiating contact. This is the biggest concern for me, personally.

When was the last time Bennett played in a meaningful game? Can we know much about his style at this point?
Sarge
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Godric wrote:Beau Bennett is a bust

boo~ I was expecting the current one or puck drama
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Sarge wrote:
Jesse wrote:
sil wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:He shouldn't be a "sleeper" but I picked Bennett anyway as one of my three because some people think he's going to suck or something. He's 200 pounds now and has been doing his off-season training with T.R. Goodman, who is one of the best in the country. Real character builder too.

Beau needs to dump the roller hockey approach to the game and play like a kid who is currently on an ice hockey team. Size is a part of that, but the dipsy-doodling has to stop. He needs to start skating through guys and initiating contact. This is the biggest concern for me, personally.

When was the last time Bennett played in a meaningful game? Can we know much about his style at this point?

47 games at the collegiate level is a pretty good indicator of how the kid plays hockey.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 pm

He was starting to get engaged a bit more physically and going to the net more last year at Denver before his season was ended. I know he once received a charging major and game misconduct for boarding someone from behind. Just has to do it more consistently.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Kuhnhackl.

Extremely talented with a (overly) physical side.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Also, for anyone who likes exact numbers, Bennett checked in at 6'1" 207 lbs.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:36 pm

npv708 wrote:Kuhnhackl.

Extremely talented with a (overly) physical side.

He isn't at camp :lol:
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Also, for anyone who likes exact numbers, Bennett checked in at 6'1" 207 lbs.

About 40 lbs bigger than he was 2 years ago
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Sarge wrote:
Jesse wrote:
sil wrote:

He's always been a highly skilled player with the puck. We're clearly not talking Datsyuk skill, but that kind of street-hockey mentality while carrying the puck.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:08 pm

http://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop has been (will continunig to be I'm assuming) a good source of quotes from the camp so far.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:07 pm

group think told me to pick Morrow
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:21 pm

‏@joelperetic
Standout for team 1 at Pens prospect camp: Matia Marcantuoni. Beau Bennett obviously has elite skill also. Nick D'Agostino impressed as well
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:42 pm

@crgevans
Forsberg would have looked better #europroblems
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puffymuffin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Uher scoring tons of goals apparently, can I change my vote? :P
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Can Morrow be a darkhorse? He is probably our top prospect. Anyways I went with Zlobin, Morrow, and Bennett. Zlobin scored 40 goals last year and had 76 points in 66 games, a late round steal? Morrow will probably make a good case to make the team again this year. And Bennett, he was hurt for a while but I think he might be pretty good. Hopefully he comes in and looks great.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Admittedly, I have no kept up tabs on Bennett, but it seems to me that one person a long time ago made some kind of roller-hockey comment and now people go right for that comment.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Did I mention I think Bennett is going to be a bust?

Can someone please argue with me over this? I totally don't want to feel that way about him.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Did you watch him play any games this season?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins