Keven Veilleux - resigned. Is he the winger for the SID

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Keven Veilleux - resigned. Is he the winger for the SID

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Okay, its a stretch. KV is 6'5 and got some decent hands and fought 11 times last year. KV was trying to show more and from what I just saw on hockeyfights.com, he did pretty damn well in his first year of pro fighting.

The rap against KV has been his skating, frequent injuries, and overall inconsistency. I've watched enough highlights with the commentary to know he no longer surprises fans or announcers when he makes nice plays/goals, but they do not come as often as they should be. So with a new 1 yr deal, its his last chance. I'd rather have Doan, but I hope HCDB does give KV a shot as his winger in camp. A big body in front, and a guy who can jump anyone who crosses the line with SID.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Keven Veilleux - resigned. Is he the winger for the SID

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Probably his last chance. Probably won't play an NHL game. But you never know what he looks like in camp/preseason...with a roster with open spots and competitive prospects (which may or may not include Veilleux), you never know who can emerge...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:02 pm

I highly doubt he stays healthy. Multiple shoulder injuries are very difficult to overcome. Keep in mind also that it takes a heck of a skater to keep up with Sid. Any flaws there and, well just forget about playing with Sid.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 pm

steelhammer wrote:I highly doubt he stays healthy. Multiple shoulder injuries are very difficult to overcome. Keep in mind also that it takes a heck of a skater to keep up with Sid. Any flaws there and, well just forget about playing with Sid.

Yup. Bill Guerin was one heck of a skater
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Sid's wing? Not a chance. Competition on the 4th line? Absolutely. But he's over 5'9" and likes to playing a rough game, the exact opposite of what Bylsma seems to like on his 4th line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:17 pm

In a word, no.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 pm

So people seem less angered by the notion of KV playing with Sid than Tangradi? I'd happily give both a shot as it would be nice to know what might happen, but surely the argument will be that KV hasn't 'earned his chance'? Would KV not be a better fit on the 4th than Tangradi? So perhaps we have Tangradi with Sid and KV on the 4th... How many LGP posters heads would explode?!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Luckybreak wrote:So people seem less angered by the notion of KV playing with Sid than Tangradi? I'd happily give both a shot as it would be nice to know what might happen, but surely the argument will be that KV hasn't 'earned his chance'? Would KV not be a better fit on the 4th than Tangradi? So perhaps we have Tangradi with Sid and KV on the 4th... How many LGP posters heads would explode?!

Depends if they just stick Tangradi there without earning it in camp.

If Tangradi ends up on Sid's wing it will be because he was the best option in October which may be good or bad depnding on why.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 pm

I've seen him in a few camps and games over the years and he never fails to not impress.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Vellieux being drafted in the second round, was like a pitch-hitter trying to tie the game with one swing. On KV, it appears that Shero whiffed big time. :/

Compare that to CPZ, which was like Shero starring down a 3-pitch strike-out without ever taking the bat off his shoulder.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Veilleux is just so awkward looking when he plays...his skating is weird stylistically, his release is weird...he has freakishly long arms...he's just odd to watch...it's hard to describe...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm

sil wrote:Vellieux being drafted in the second round, was like a pitch-hitter trying to tie the game with one swing. On KV, it appears that Shero whiffed big time. :/

Funny thing is, his main concerns going into the draft were effort, consistency, and intensity. He brings those whenever he plays now, but he's apparently made of glass -- busted for a completely different reason than people thought he would it seems.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puffymuffin on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Maybe he can develop into a sort of new Mike Rupp, enforcer who can play a bit, loves to fight anyway.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby oliasphodel on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Kevin Veilleux is highly talented, but he has a big problem. alcohol.

I don't know if it is the case now, but in 2009, he was the star of the Rimouski Oceanic, as the team hosted Memorial Cup tournament. Assistant-coach found him drunk in a local bar on 1.00 pm on the day when we were playing a crucial game in the tournament.

It happened many times in the season, his dad had to come to Rimouski several times to help him with his problem.

(sorry for the bad english)
oliasphodel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby drtofu66 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 pm

oliasphodel wrote:Kevin Veilleux is highly talented, but he has a big problem. alcohol.

I don't know if it is the case now, but in 2009, he was the star of the Rimouski Oceanic, as the team hosted Memorial Cup tournament. Assistant-coach found him drunk in a local bar on 1.00 pm on the day when we were playing a crucial game in the tournament.

It happened many times in the season, his dad had to come to Rimouski several times to help him with his problem.

That explains a LOT. The injuries and frustration that come with them certainly don't help with an alcohol problem.

What a shame and waste of talent. It's still not too late to get it together and turn his life and career around, but unfortunately not very likely.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 pm

drtofu66 wrote:
oliasphodel wrote:Kevin Veilleux is highly talented, but he has a big problem. alcohol.

That explains a LOT. The injuries and frustration that come with them certainly don't help with an alcohol problem.

What a shame and waste of talent. It's still not too late to get it together and turn his life and career around, but unfortunately not very likely.

It explains a lot, but how do you know its true? I'm not hear to bash Olia (your english is fine), but 31 posts do not make you an ideal LGP source 8-)
Many people have overcome the alchol demons, and I can't imagine they would still be with him as a pro in the Pens system. Any bubble player who shows those types of problems would not be offered another 1 year contract, n'est pas?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby oliasphodel on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

drtofu66 wrote:

He was already drafted by the penguins when Victoriaville traded him to Rimouski. We (I work for the Oceanic) gave a lot to have this player with us one year before the Mem Cup. He was a cancer in the locker room. Hope good things for him but would be surprised if he turns out a NHLer
oliasphodel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm

joopen wrote:
steelhammer wrote:I highly doubt he stays healthy. Multiple shoulder injuries are very difficult to overcome. Keep in mind also that it takes a heck of a skater to keep up with Sid. Any flaws there and, well just forget about playing with Sid.

Yup. Bill Guerin was one heck of a skater

Don't go there
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I don't understand these posts about him becoming a fighter. These people haven't watched Veilleux. His talent is undeniable. Only issue with him is healthy, which hasn't been there since early in Junior.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puffymuffin on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't understand these posts about him becoming a fighter. These people haven't watched Veilleux. His talent is undeniable. Only issue with him is healthy, which hasn't been there since early in Junior.

No question he has talent, some of his moves are smooth as silk, except that sometimes when I watch him I get the feeling he just likes to fight a bit too much or maybe he wants to show that he has what it takes.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Puffymuffin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't understand these posts about him becoming a fighter. These people haven't watched Veilleux. His talent is undeniable. Only issue with him is healthy, which hasn't been there since early in Junior.

No question he has talent, some of his moves are smooth as silk, except that sometimes when I watch him I get the feeling he just likes to fight a bit too much or maybe he wants to show that he has what it takes.

Not an issue in my book if he is on the bottom 2 lines and it doesn't result in more injuries.
Does he take dumb penalties along with dropping the gloves? Asham was pretty good in a dust up and usually not a penalty liability, but lacked the same potential talent wise.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Very high skill level. It's not very often that you get a kid with hands like his, both as far as stickhandling and throwing down. And in a 6'5" frame with a bit of a mean streak? That's why he got another contract IMO, to give see what he can do if he can stay healthy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby oliasphodel on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Penspal wrote:
drtofu66 wrote:

It explains a lot, but how do you know its true? I'm not hear to bash Olia (your english is fine), but 31 posts do not make you an ideal LGP source 8-)
Many people have overcome the alchol demons, and I can't imagine they would still be with him as a pro in the Pens system. Any bubble player who shows those types of problems would not be offered another 1 year contract, n'est pas?

Believe it or not...

I'm mostly reading threads here for years now, but not posting often.

When it concerns a player who played in Rimouski, I can add information.

The penguins know all of Veilleux's problem.
oliasphodel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelhammer on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 pm

That's very unfortunate to hear of Veilleux's alcohol problem. He always did kind of look sad in the pictures.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Puffymuffin wrote:Maybe he can develop into a sort of new Mike Rupp, enforcer who can play a bit, loves to fight anyway.

Good point. You can't teach size as they say. Maybe the Pens can groom him into a 4th line grinder/fighter ala Rupp?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins