2012 Development Camp, Day 3 Report...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2012 Development Camp, Day 3 Report...

Postby netwolf on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:51 pm

netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2012 Development Camp, Day 3 Report...

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm

When reading these comments, you should keep in mind this is a development camp. In July, no less. Anything that happens, good or bad, doesn't define these kids for the rest of their careers. It's just a few days in the summer. Take what you read at face value, that's all.

For those of us who can't make it, just getting a sense of their basic skill sets and raw abilities (good and bad) is a plus.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Great read, thanks again!
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm

columbia wrote:For those of us who can't make it, just getting a sense of their basic skill sets and raw abilities (good and bad) is a plus.

That's a great way to look at it. Thanks for taking a look. :fist:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BfromD on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:36 pm

It may have been discussed in a different thread and if so apologies, but what options exist with Sustr given he was never drafted? Can the pens sign him to a pro deal outright if they so choose? Can any other NHL team do the same for that matter?

Also thanks for the reports. Look forward to them every season!
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks net. Enjoy the recaps.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 pm

I'd imagine Sustr will want to get his degree. I think he's entering his junior year right now.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Yes, Sustr is scheduled to start his junior year this fall at Nebraska-Omaha in the WCHA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think at this point, he's free to sign wherever he wants. Doing so would end his collegiate playing days, so if getting a degree is important he may not want to sign yet, or at least may want to be pretty selective about where he signs. I've heard there is a lot of interest around the league, but if that's true, him going undrafted (through at least 2 drafts I think) makes even less sense. Given how deep the Penguins are in defensive prospects, you'd think he'd have to be overly impressed with the organization to sign here, assuming the Pens made an offer.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:19 am

Sustr a new Chara :D

Veilleux might be 4th liner with Pens this season if stays healthy,bumps ET to AHL.. Glass - Vitale - Veilleux,uf thats a big nasty gritty line..
Adams a scratch
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 am

Pens4Life wrote:
Veilleux might be 4th liner with Pens this season if stays healthy,bumps ET to AHL.

That's an amusing thought. KV can't skate either, so it's a possibility, I guess.

Groan...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 am

Scott Bowman once said "there are plenty great players not playing in the NHL, they all can pass shoot and stick handle with the pros. Its the 2 or 3 mental mistakes they make in a game that end up costing your team goals. And that is why they are not in the NHL."

I always seem to think of this when i see a guy in a prospect camp that blows you away.

As always nice work Netwolf!! Thanks. Is there a scrimmage on Saturday or today???
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am

netwolf wrote:Yes, Sustr is scheduled to start his junior year this fall at Nebraska-Omaha in the WCHA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think at this point, he's free to sign wherever he wants. Doing so would end his collegiate playing days, so if getting a degree is important he may not want to sign yet, or at least may want to be pretty selective about where he signs. I've heard there is a lot of interest around the league, but if that's true, him going undrafted (through at least 2 drafts I think) makes even less sense. Given how deep the Penguins are in defensive prospects, you'd think he'd have to be overly impressed with the organization to sign here, assuming the Pens made an offer.

I don't know why because I've never even seen him play, but from what Netwolf and some of the other bloggers have said, I'd try to get him signed.

It will be interesting when camp closes at where this guy would rank amongst the drafted dmen. If he is in the top 5, and he gets away I'll be :(
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am

I used to go to a Marianne Watkins clinic each summer. I was never so sore in my entire life.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am

Penspal wrote:
netwolf wrote:Yes, Sustr is scheduled to start his junior year this fall at Nebraska-Omaha in the WCHA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think at this point, he's free to sign wherever he wants. Doing so would end his collegiate playing days, so if getting a degree is important he may not want to sign yet, or at least may want to be pretty selective about where he signs. I've heard there is a lot of interest around the league, but if that's true, him going undrafted (through at least 2 drafts I think) makes even less sense. Given how deep the Penguins are in defensive prospects, you'd think he'd have to be overly impressed with the organization to sign here, assuming the Pens made an offer.

I don't know why because I've never even seen him play, but from what Netwolf and some of the other bloggers have said, I'd try to get him signed.

It will be interesting when camp closes at where this guy would rank amongst the drafted dmen. If he is in the top 5, and he gets away I'll be :(

The Pens are getting close to the 50 player limit, so they have to be cautious on who they sign at this point. You know they must leave room for Semin and Doan. :lol: :pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins